Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Why do I have to prove that I´m not a robot every time I want to enter the forum?
Thread poster: Danik 2014
Danik 2014
Danik 2014
Brazil
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Dec 25, 2017

Hi all,
I have a problem with a very recent forum feature: one has now to select images to prove one is not a robot. I´m very shortsighted so I can´t always distinguish all the objects and the tool is very insistent, ofering more and more images. This is time robbing and irritating.
I feel hampered by this feature and would appreciate help.

Thanks!

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 13:43
English to Spanish
+ ...
New feature? Dec 26, 2017

What you are saying is very weird. It has never happened to me and I have never heard of such a new feature.

Have you checked to log in before entering the fora?

ph-b (X)
ph-b (X)
France
Local time: 18:43
English to French
+ ...
reCaptcha Dec 26, 2017

Walter Landesman wrote:

What you are saying is very weird. It has never happened to me and I have never heard of such a new feature.

See here: https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_suggestions/321589-captcha_verification.html

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Yes, those darned picture captchas... Dec 26, 2017

Danik 2014 wrote:
One has now to select images to prove one is not a robot.

I don't get such a captcha when visiting the ProZ.com forums, but I sometimes get them while using e.g. Google. They're a waste of time (for the user). I faithfully click all the e.g. street signs or cars or houses or whatnot, but the captcha system is not satisfied until I've spent 2-3 minutes doing this. I've learnt not to bother. When a web site requires this, I click the X. When it's something I really, really want to enter, I disconnect and reconnect the VPN.

Eunbi kang
Eunbi kang
South Korea
Local time: 17:43
Member (2017)
English to Korean
It sounds strange Dec 26, 2017

How about check your browser setting?
Ive also never experienced that.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:43
English to Spanish
+ ...
What worries me Dec 26, 2017

What I find worrisome in Danik's account is that he is shortsighted, a not-so-uncommon condition for many of us after we turn 40. I wear bifocals, for instance, but I have never encountered the “I'm not a robot” anywhere on Proz.

Danik, I would check the browser's security settings and write a support ticket to Proz.com

Good luck!

Danik 2014
Danik 2014
Brazil
German to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to all and comments Dec 26, 2017

Hi,
Thank you all very much for your comments and suggestions.
I not going to answer anyone individually as I usually do, because just now I had to pass though the capcha verification again, some 7 or 8 pages before the system was satisfied.

"I don't get such a captcha when visiting the ProZ.com forums, but I sometimes get them while using e.g. Google. They're a waste of time (for the user). I faithfully click all the e.g. street signs or cars or houses or whatnot, but t
... See more
Hi,
Thank you all very much for your comments and suggestions.
I not going to answer anyone individually as I usually do, because just now I had to pass though the capcha verification again, some 7 or 8 pages before the system was satisfied.

"I don't get such a captcha when visiting the ProZ.com forums, but I sometimes get them while using e.g. Google. They're a waste of time (for the user). I faithfully click all the e.g. street signs or cars or houses or whatnot, but the captcha system is not satisfied until I've spent 2-3 minutes doing this. I've learnt not to bother. When a web site requires this, I click the X. When it's something I really, really want to enter, I disconnect and reconnect the VPN. "
Yes, that is exactly what happens, Samuel and Proz, is a page I enter at least once a day.

The first thing I learnt from your answers is that it doesn´t affect all Proz users alike. That at least another Proz member is affected one can learn from the thread ph-b linked to this discussion. Thank you for leading the thread to this one.

Maybe there is a relation to the warnings of a "not secure connection" I got before and which I learnt to ignore. I don´t know if this has to do with my browser connections, as Mario suggests.

I was hoping and still do that a monitor might explain if there has been any changes in the security system of the site.
Collapse

Amlaku Eshetie
Amlaku Eshetie
United States
Local time: 10:43
English to Amharic
+ ...
"The bothersome security question" Dec 26, 2017

Guys, I am also experiencing the same since these two days. It is really annoying although I may understand that it could be for my own security!

Daniel Frisano
Daniel Frisano  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Better get used Dec 26, 2017

In a not-so-distant future we will all need to constantly prove to each other that we are not robots. Not via captcha, I hope. Perhaps we will be asked to violate one of Asimov's laws?

Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:43
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
I'm not a robot Dec 26, 2017

I have to do the same every time I log on. I delete cookies whenever I leave the site, maybe that's why.

In any case, very annoying new feature.

ph-b (X)
ph-b (X)
France
English to French
+ ...
Update Dec 27, 2017

Just to say I sent a support ticket yesterday and everything is fine now.

Danik 2014
Danik 2014
Brazil
German to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No captcha this time Dec 27, 2017

ph-b wrote:

Just to say I sent a support ticket yesterday and everything is fine now.

Thanks for the support ticket and the update ph-b. It seems they really fixed the problem, because for the first time in days I was able to enter the forum without
the verification.
Many thanks to the webmaster or to who fixed it.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:43
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Still not a robot Dec 28, 2017

I thought this had been fixed. Yesterday it was gone, but today it was back. Not happy about this.

Danik 2014
Danik 2014
Brazil
German to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Captcha is back! Dec 28, 2017

Michele Fauble wrote:

I thought this had been fixed. Yesterday it was gone, but today it was back. Not happy about this.

Neither am I. I just checked, it is back. It is harrassing, dark images so you can´t distinguish the objects they want you to choose.
I´m going to open a support ticket. I suggest you and every one affected do likewise.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why do I have to prove that I´m not a robot every time I want to enter the forum?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »