Thread poster: Mair A-W (PhD)
Mair A-W (PhD)
Mair A-W (PhD)
Germany
Local time: 17:44
German to English
+ ...
Aug 31, 2017

Maybe I'm missing an option somewhere, or maybe this has been discussed before, but I can't find it -

When I'm using the term search, I would like to be able to set the language that my term should be found in. I don't mind whether it's found in the answers to a target language question, or a source language question, but I'm not interested in results that only have my term in the target language.

Suppose for an example that I wanted to search for the English term "lag
... See more
Maybe I'm missing an option somewhere, or maybe this has been discussed before, but I can't find it -

When I'm using the term search, I would like to be able to set the language that my term should be found in. I don't mind whether it's found in the answers to a target language question, or a source language question, but I'm not interested in results that only have my term in the target language.

Suppose for an example that I wanted to search for the English term "lager" (beer). I go to term search and I set English->German, run the search - and I get five pages of results that have German phrases including Lager (storage). None of these results are useful.
Collapse

Silke Walter
Silke Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2014)
English to German
Settings Aug 31, 2017

Maybe the small checkbox „Also search reverse language“ was selected?

Term Search

Mair A-W (PhD)
Mair A-W (PhD)
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not related to "also search reverse language" Aug 31, 2017

I think you only have "0 results" because you have "exact match" ticked.

If I have that "reverse language" ticked, I get results from DE->EN Kudoz/Glossaries and from EN->DE; if I don't have that box set then of course I only get the EN->DE results --- but I still get a whole lot of results that have *my* term in the DE part (and not the EN).

In fact, as I already said, I'd *rather* have it ticked -- I don't mind whether my term is in a DE->EN question/glossary or an EN
... See more
I think you only have "0 results" because you have "exact match" ticked.

If I have that "reverse language" ticked, I get results from DE->EN Kudoz/Glossaries and from EN->DE; if I don't have that box set then of course I only get the EN->DE results --- but I still get a whole lot of results that have *my* term in the DE part (and not the EN).

In fact, as I already said, I'd *rather* have it ticked -- I don't mind whether my term is in a DE->EN question/glossary or an EN->DE on, providing, *my* term is in the EN side of it.

Collapse

Mair A-W (PhD)
Mair A-W (PhD)
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Another example Aug 31, 2017

(an example illustrating this in the other direction might be the german term Smoking)

Silke Walter
Silke Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2014)
English to German
Good Suggestion! Aug 31, 2017

You are right: I tried the search again - with the same result as yours.
I would vote for this suggestion!

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Useful Aug 31, 2017

Mair A-W (PhD) wrote:

Suppose for an example that I wanted to search for the English term "lager" (beer). I go to term search and I set English->German, run the search - and I get five pages of results that have German phrases including Lager (storage). None of these results are useful.

In MemoQ for instance you have the "Search in target" checkbox for concordance and glossary searches to choose whether to search in the source or in the target (only). That is indeed a very useful option to have.

Mair A-W (PhD)
Mair A-W (PhD)
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
exact match Sep 1, 2017

Silke Walter wrote:

You are right: I tried the search again - with the same result as yours.
I would vote for this suggestion!

Thanks (Edit: I've just seen the "whole words only" box)

[Edited at 2017-09-01 07:56 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Term search: set source language

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »