Being able to filter out specific fields (e.g. Law and Patents) from KudoZ notifications/dashboard
Thread poster: BNN Medical Tr.
BNN Medical Tr.
BNN Medical Tr.
Brazil
Local time: 03:34
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Aug 27, 2017

I see a lot of Law-related KudoZ questions, which I cannot help with, as they are way outside my specialization. It has been suggested that I set notifications to only work for fields I have set as a specialty/working/interest field, but that will also filter out other random fields that I might be able to help with, but didn't add to my profile. For instance, I was recently able to help with a computer-related question, even though "computers" is not a working field for me. However, Law is out ... See more
I see a lot of Law-related KudoZ questions, which I cannot help with, as they are way outside my specialization. It has been suggested that I set notifications to only work for fields I have set as a specialty/working/interest field, but that will also filter out other random fields that I might be able to help with, but didn't add to my profile. For instance, I was recently able to help with a computer-related question, even though "computers" is not a working field for me. However, Law is out of the question, as I feel I would really need to be a lawyer to be able to provide any meaningful input.

I would like to be able to disable the fields of Law and Patents, among select others, from appearing in my dashboard and notifications. I would greatly appreciate if you added this functionality!
Collapse

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
You can manage your KudoZ settings Aug 27, 2017

BNN Medical Tr. wrote:

I see a lot of Law-related KudoZ questions, which I cannot help with, as they are way outside my specialization. It has been suggested that I set notifications to only work for fields I have set as a specialty/working/interest field, but that will also filter out other random fields that I might be able to help with, but didn't add to my profile. For instance, I was recently able to help with a computer-related question, even though "computers" is not a working field for me. However, Law is out of the question, as I feel I would really need to be a lawyer to be able to provide any meaningful input.

I would like to be able to disable the fields of Law and Patents, among select others, from appearing in my dashboard and notifications. I would greatly appreciate if you added this functionality!

You should visit your ProZ.com profile and open KudoZ dashboard page of the Settings tab. There you will be able to define the fields of expertise associated with new KudoZ questions you want to be notified about. You can select to have notifications associated with your specialities, or add your working fields, or add to that your interest fields. You can also select to be notified about questions associated with all fields.

Settings KudoZ fields

Regards,
Enrique

BNN Medical Tr.
BNN Medical Tr.
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's not what I mean Aug 27, 2017

Thank you, Enrique, but I already knew about that and that's not what I mean. I want to have "all fields" minus a few specific fields which I will manually determine.

Tatiana Dietrich
Tatiana Dietrich  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Danish
+ ...
It is not possible to opt out of specific fields Aug 28, 2017

BNN Medical Tr. wrote:

Thank you, Enrique, but I already knew about that and that's not what I mean. I want to have "all fields" minus a few specific fields which I will manually determine.

It is only possible to opt in and not to opt out of specific fields.

Note, however, that you can list up to 100 interest fields in your profile for filtering purposes, which are not public as to not undermine your perceived specialization.

I hope that helps!

Regards,

Tatiana

BNN Medical Tr.
BNN Medical Tr.
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Didn't work for the dashboard Aug 31, 2017

Enrique/Tatiana,

I have manually added almost all fields to my interest fields, but left out everything related to Law. I set my KudoZ notification preferences to "interest fields" on the KudoZ dashboard. However, questions about Law are still appearing in my dashboard. What's going on?

Tatiana Dietrich
Argentina
English to Danish
+ ...
Further information needed Aug 31, 2017

BNN Medical Tr. wrote:

Enrique/Tatiana,

I have manually added almost all fields to my interest fields, but left out everything related to Law. I set my KudoZ notification preferences to "interest fields" on the KudoZ dashboard. However, questions about Law are still appearing in my dashboard. What's going on?

I have checked your settings and everything appears to be fine (declared fields of interest, KudoZ notification settings and KudoZ search settings). I have also performed a KudoZ search under your name and did not get any law-related results.

Could you please point me to any questions popping up in your search results that should not be there in order for me to investigate this further? Thanks!

Regards,

Tatiana

BNN Medical Tr.
BNN Medical Tr.
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Here is one that just popped up Sep 3, 2017

Here: http://www.proz.com/kudoz/spanish_to_english/law_general/6387028-orden_de_conducción.html

I'm pretty sure I have both law and patents outside any of my interest fields.

Tatiana Dietrich
Argentina
English to Danish
+ ...
Possible bug in the member dashboard Sep 4, 2017

BNN Medical Tr. wrote:

Here: http://www.proz.com/kudoz/spanish_to_english/law_general/6387028-orden_de_conducción.html

I'm pretty sure I have both law and patents outside any of my interest fields.

Thank you for reporting this.

I see that you are using the member dashboard. It is possible that there is a bug which prevents the system from picking up on your KudoZ settings. I am forwarding this issue to site developers and I will let you know when it is fixed.

In the meantime, I recommend going directly to the KudoZ page to look for questions to answer. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Regards,

Tatiana

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Being able to filter out specific fields (e.g. Law and Patents) from KudoZ notifications/dashboard

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »