Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Please remove "More translators and interpreters: [your language pair(s)]" from our profiles
Thread poster: Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 10:39
English to Italian
Mar 11, 2017

This was already brought up last year (e.g. http://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_suggestions/305470-what_prozcom_translators_are_working_on_moved_to_top-page2.html#2580358 ) but never addressed (you need to be logged out from your account to see it...).

I still feel it is a very reasonable and very sensi
... See more
This was already brought up last year (e.g. http://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_suggestions/305470-what_prozcom_translators_are_working_on_moved_to_top-page2.html#2580358 ) but never addressed (you need to be logged out from your account to see it...).

I still feel it is a very reasonable and very sensible request to have outbound links (in this specific case to direct competitors, on top of that) removed from our profile pages...

If I see an ad from company X about their product/service Y, I don't expect that ad to suggest that I also check out product/service Z from company W...
Collapse

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 16:39
Chinese to English
+ ...
No Mar 11, 2017

This is not a personal website, but a portal used by hundreds if not thousands of users. It's a common feature on professional portals and is useful for the consumer, and if people can find other translators through your page, they can find you through other people's pages as well.

If nothing else, it's so damn inconspicuous that you literally have to be looking for it.

Maija Cirule
Maija Cirule  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 11:39
German to English
+ ...
Dear Proz Mar 12, 2017

Correct me if I am wrong, but last time when I checked, this portal was not a jail or concentration camp strictly adhering to the principle "Maul halten und weiter dienen" regarding facts the owners try to stash away but a public business operated by people PAID BY it's members. Within last 4 months since I paid for your PLUS package, I have not seen any useful new feature but have seen several attempts to trick me into use of the unsuccessful project TM Town instead. Now I see the promotional t... See more
Correct me if I am wrong, but last time when I checked, this portal was not a jail or concentration camp strictly adhering to the principle "Maul halten und weiter dienen" regarding facts the owners try to stash away but a public business operated by people PAID BY it's members. Within last 4 months since I paid for your PLUS package, I have not seen any useful new feature but have seen several attempts to trick me into use of the unsuccessful project TM Town instead. Now I see the promotional text of this project under "MY INVOICES". I understand that you try to conceal this fact but believe me censorship is not the best policy.

Best wishes
Maija Cirule

[Edited at 2017-03-13 05:26 GMT]
Collapse

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
@Mirko and Maija Mar 12, 2017

I was not aware there were such links on our profiles? And what is the $50 censorship for expressing your opinion, I would like to hear more about that one, thanks.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Do you see the ads... Mar 12, 2017

Mirko Mainardi wrote:
I still feel it is a very reasonable and very sensible request to have outbound links (in this specific case to direct competitors, on top of that) removed from our profile pages...

Do you see the ads on my profile page, when not logged in?

Mirko Mainardi
Italy
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
Why not? Mar 12, 2017

Lincoln Hui wrote:

This is not a personal website, but a portal used by hundreds if not thousands of users.

This is a marketing/advertising tool which provides personal profiles to showcase one's offerings, and its yearly subscription actually costs more than a personal website would...

I'm just asking to be given the option (yes, it could be optional) to use the marketing/advertising tool I'm paying for to advertise my services, not my competitors'. I really don't think this is such an outlandish, unreasonable or controversial request...

It's a common feature on professional portals and is useful for the consumer, and if people can find other translators through your page, they can find you through other people's pages as well.

Not sure what other "professional portals" you're referring to (i.e. LinkedIn doesn't have it, AFAIK), but it doesn't really matter either. "People can find other translators" by using the directory search, as they're supposed to, and if that's the reason why they're visiting ProZ in the first place...

As for me, I'm using my profile page as a calling card of sorts, by providing a link to it to potential clients. As in the example I made earlier, I would definitely not add a line at the bottom of my business card saying something like "Please also check out all of the other translators working in my language pair(s) listed on the back of this card". If you wanted to do that, it would be your choice, of course.

If nothing else, it's so damn inconspicuous that you literally have to be looking for it.

Then I guess you wouldn't actually be missing it if it weren't there, would you? But, as I said, we could be simply given the option to show it or not, like so many other things on our profile pages, including the navigation menu itself (and that is even more "useful to the consumer", isn't it?). This way everyone would be happy.

As a side note, I must concur with you on one thing: you actually have to be looking for it, as it's not shown on our profiles when we're logged in, not even if you use "Force visitor view", which means the "visitor view" we're shown isn't what visitors are actually seeing, so yes, it's easy to miss, especially for us...

Mirko Mainardi
Italy
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
Not sure Mar 12, 2017

Lingua 5B wrote:

I was not aware there were such links on our profiles? And what is the $50 censorship for expressing your opinion, I would like to hear more about that one, thanks.

I can't speak for Maija about that.

As for the link, yeah, not sure how many profile owners here are aware of that either, since, as I was saying, you need to be viewing a profile while logged out in order to see it... Plus, that's a little 'counterintuitive', as you'd expect that by using the "Force visitor view" option you would be shown your profile exactly the same way a visitor would (as the option name suggests).

Mirko Mainardi
Italy
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
Yes Mar 12, 2017

Samuel Murray wrote:

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

I see "More translators and interpreters: English to Afrikaans - Afrikaans to English More language pairs" at the bottom of your profile page, yes.

Maija Cirule
Maija Cirule  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 11:39
German to English
+ ...
Mar 12, 2017

[Edited at 2017-03-13 05:01 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
How to contact a moderator Mar 12, 2017

Maija Cirule wrote:
Would you be so kind as to note that my comment is addressed to the MODERATOR who is not able "to approve my posting" and not to you?

The best way to contact a moderator is to click the "[Call to this topic]" link next to a moderator's name near the bottom of this page.

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
I thought these ads urging people to keep looking had disappeared from our profiles pages Mar 12, 2017

Samuel Murray wrote:

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

Here's what I see on your profile page (when not logged in):
More translators and interpreters: English to Afrikaans - Afrikaans to English More language pairs

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Oh, I can see it... Mar 12, 2017

Mirko Mainardi wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:
Mirko Mainardi wrote:

I see "More translators and interpreters: English to Afrikaans - Afrikaans to English More language pairs" at the bottom of your profile page, yes.

Oh, that's what you're referring to. That's not really an "outbound" link, though. It's a link to another page at ProZ.com. And it's a tiny little link at the bottom of the page. It's good web design practice to put such a link at that location. I doubt if you're going to lose any business because of it.

Capture-1

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:39
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Yeah, me, too, I thought Henry promised to get rid of it Mar 12, 2017

writeaway wrote:
I thought these ads urging people to keep looking had disappeared from our profiles pages

Yeah, I am confused, too. The last time it was discussed in the forums, I remember we were told that it would be removed.

Mirko Mainardi
Italy
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
"Outbound" Mar 12, 2017

Samuel Murray wrote:

Oh, that's what you're referring to. That's not really an "outbound" link, though. It's a link to another page at ProZ.com.

It's "outbound" from our profiles, though
Back then, when this issue was first raised (as far as I remember), there were both that link and a link to TM-Town at the bottom of our profile pages. The latter (a "real" outbound link) was removed, while the other one evidently not. But in both cases, the issue was about links pointing away from our profiles and toward direct competitors.

And it's a tiny little link at the bottom of the page. It's good web design practice to put such a link at that location. I doubt if you're going to lose any business because of it.

Of course, it may be "good practice" from a site owner's perspective, in order to try and maximize a visitor's time on site or some other stat, but, marketing-wise, I don't really think it's very sensible for us to have it there.

Besides, if it's "good web design practice" in general, on what other pages on ProZ is such a link (only visible to non-logged in visitors) present?

As for "losing business" or not, I guess that's a question no one can actually answer, isn't it? At any rate, fact is that link doesn't even open a new browser window/tab, leaving your profile page open, but replaces your profile page with a generic directory of translators per language pair. So, what good is it for us (or even for clients looking for a translator with specific characteristics)?

But the main point still is, why should my (in this case paid) profile actively advise visitors to look for other translators?

Maria Kopnitsky
Maria Kopnitsky  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Agreed Mar 13, 2017

Dear Mirko,

Thanks for bringing this up. I agree that paying members of the site should be able to hide this prompt to other service providers in their profiles. I will ask development staff to update this as soon as they can, and will post here with any updates.

Best regards,

Maria

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Please remove "More translators and interpreters: [your language pair(s)]" from our profiles

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »