What is my native language...a proz.com issue (not mine)
Thread poster: Jacek Kloskowski
Jacek Kloskowski
Jacek Kloskowski  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:51
English to Polish
+ ...
Feb 15, 2017

I was born in Poland and lived there until I was 25, so it seems my native language is Polish. And yet, as I am now 52, I have lived and worked professionally in an English speaking country for longer than I have lived in the country I was born in. I was married here and have kids, and I speak English at home. And so, after spending so many years in my new home, I feel that in some fields of expertise (mostly professional I guess) I had become way more proficient in English than I am in Polish.... See more
I was born in Poland and lived there until I was 25, so it seems my native language is Polish. And yet, as I am now 52, I have lived and worked professionally in an English speaking country for longer than I have lived in the country I was born in. I was married here and have kids, and I speak English at home. And so, after spending so many years in my new home, I feel that in some fields of expertise (mostly professional I guess) I had become way more proficient in English than I am in Polish. Therefore, my question is, why doesn't PROZ allow me to select my native language according to my field of expertise? Why am I barred from quoting on some jobs I feel like I am native "at"? (an infamous message follows: "You have not indicated this is your native language" (sic!)).

Is it only due to PROZ.COM job quoting limitations? And so, and if you feel the same way, isn't it time to change that, and if yes, how? And what do you, dear members think about it? Please chime in...
Collapse

Michal Fabian
Michal Fabian  Identity Verified
Canada
Dutch to Slovak
+ ...
Your native language is Polish. Feb 15, 2017

Your language of habitual use in English.

Still, Proz allows you to select two (maybe even more?) native languages, and several language pairs. There has been many a discussion about that very issue over the years, a veritable horse flogged dead.

Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:51
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Polish Feb 15, 2017

JackMark wrote:

I was born in Poland and lived there until I was 25, so it seems my native language is Polish.

It seems you've answered your own question.

You may have achieved near-native, or even native-equivalent, mastery of English, but that doesn't change your native language.

[Edited at 2017-02-15 16:47 GMT]

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 19:51
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
In addition to what has been said already Feb 15, 2017

You may want to check the site FAQ concerning this issue: please see http://www.proz.com/faq/profiles/proz_com_native_speaker_credential.html#how_many_native_languages_can_be_reported_

and below

Jacek Kloskowski
United States
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Well... Feb 15, 2017

Michele Fauble wrote:

JackMark wrote:

I was born in Poland and lived there until I was 25, so it seems my native language is Polish.

It seems you've answered your own question.

You may have achieved near-native, or even native-equivalent, mastery of English, but that doesn't change your native language.

[Edited at 2017-02-15 16:47 GMT]

I do not agree with you. for example, in terms of Computer Science and Engineering, I studied that in English. Truthfully, I probably know more English terms in that "Fahgebiet' than Polish or German. And while I am beeing confronted by Polish or German native speakers it that reagard......haha...

Jacek Kloskowski
United States
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you. Feb 15, 2017

Natalie wrote:

You may want to check the site FAQ concerning this issue: please see http://www.proz.com/faq/profiles/proz_com_native_speaker_credential.html#how_many_native_languages_can_be_reported_

and below

Two? I'd like to list Polish and English...nad how I should do that?? Please advise...

Jacek Kloskowski
United States
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Oh well.. Feb 15, 2017

Michal Fabian wrote:

Still, Proz allows you to select two (maybe even more?) native languages and several language pairs. There has been many a discussion about that very issue over the years, a veritable horse flogged dead.

thank you, it seems I am missing something. I just went to my profile and see no such option to add a second native language. Could you point me to one help article perhaps?

[Edited at 2017-02-15 18:14 GMT]

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:51
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Just because it's a native language it doesn't mean you're fluent in it Feb 15, 2017

Nativeness is bandied about as the be-all and end-all of this profession, when, in fact it is not.

You can file a support ticket and have two languages declared as native and then explain in your profile your level of fluency according to the interpreting model of the A, B and C languages.

Jacek Kloskowski
United States
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your info, I was not aware ot that option. Feb 15, 2017

DCM Linguistics wrote:

Nativeness is bandied about as the be-all and end-all of this profession, when, in fact it is not.

You can file a support ticket and have two languages declared as native and then explain in your profile your level of fluency according to the interpreting model of the A, B and C languages.

I will try that

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 14:51
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
You should normally submit a support request Feb 15, 2017

JackMark wrote:

Michal Fabian wrote:

Still, Proz allows you to select two (maybe even more?) native languages and several language pairs. There has been many a discussion about that very issue over the years, a veritable horse flogged dead.

thank you, it seems I am missing something. I just went to my profile and see no such option to add a second native language. Could you point me to one help article perhaps?

Hi Jack, in cases like this you should submit a support request.

In this particular case it will not be needed, as I have already reset your native language information, so you will be able to enter up to two native languages in the profile updater - Languages section of your profile.

Regards,
Enrique

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is my native language...a proz.com issue (not mine)

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »