Barbara Østergaard
Barbara Østergaard
Denmark
Local time: 21:39
English to Danish
+ ...
Oct 7, 2016

Hi,

I'm not really sure where to post this idea (the idea feature in the upper right corner does not allow me to post an idea), so perhaps someone in here can help me.

I feel that I spend a lot of time every week reading and deleting e-mails sent via proz.com because they are not relevant. Mostly, because the price and the terms offered are simply too poor. So I would like to suggest a feature in settings allowing the translator to define which inquiries are relevant a
... See more
Hi,

I'm not really sure where to post this idea (the idea feature in the upper right corner does not allow me to post an idea), so perhaps someone in here can help me.

I feel that I spend a lot of time every week reading and deleting e-mails sent via proz.com because they are not relevant. Mostly, because the price and the terms offered are simply too poor. So I would like to suggest a feature in settings allowing the translator to define which inquiries are relevant and which are not. For example, clients offering a rate per word below EUR 0.12 are not allowed to send inquiries.

I see two major advantages: 1) I can use my time more efficiently and 2) we signal to clients that we will not take a job at any price.

There really are many professional clients out there willing to pay a reasonable price and offer decent terms. It would be great to be able to concentrate on just those clients.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Barbara

[Edited at 2016-10-07 07:45 GMT]
Collapse

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Similar suggestions discussed earlier. Oct 7, 2016

We discussed similar suggestions before, eg. "this service provider opted not to be included in mass emails", or "this service provider accepts only individual emails", and of course the rate limitations like you suggested.

I can't see any of these have been implemented, though.

I believe the limitations should apply to job offers also, with a minimum lower rate. I don't think there's lower limit at all. So outsourcers are free to impose any lower limit they see fit, an
... See more
We discussed similar suggestions before, eg. "this service provider opted not to be included in mass emails", or "this service provider accepts only individual emails", and of course the rate limitations like you suggested.

I can't see any of these have been implemented, though.

I believe the limitations should apply to job offers also, with a minimum lower rate. I don't think there's lower limit at all. So outsourcers are free to impose any lower limit they see fit, and also to ask you to do free test (which is basically free work).

[Edited at 2016-10-07 09:15 GMT]
Collapse

Barbara Østergaard
Barbara Østergaard
Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tests... Oct 7, 2016

Lingua 5B wrote:
I believe the limitations should apply to job offers also, with a minimum lower rate. I don't think there's lower limit at all. So outsourcers are free to impose any lower limit they see fit, and also to ask you to do free test (which is basically free work).

It would be great if we could join forces to improve our working conditions, including rates. I know it's ambitious and easier in some countries than others. But what do we have to lose? As to test translations, as a rule, I don't do those. You don't ask your plummer to fix your wash basin for free and then MAYBE - but ONLY if you're satisfied with his work - hire him to fix your toilet. You just don't hire him again if you're not satisfied with his service. Or you ask for references.

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Exactly. Oct 7, 2016

Barbara Østergaard wrote:

Lingua 5B wrote:

It would be great if we could join forces to improve our working conditions, including rates. I know it's ambitious and easier in some countries than others. But what do we have to lose? As to test translations, as a rule, I don't do those. You don't ask your plummer to fix your wash basin for free and then MAYBE - but ONLY if you're satisfied with his work - hire him to fix your toilet. You just don't hire him again if you're not satisfied with his service. Or you ask for references.

Even if you did ask your plumber or hair dresser for a free test service, they would turn it down. Unlike some translators, who would just go for it, for some miraculous reason.

I don't do free tests either.

Gabriele Demuth
Gabriele Demuth  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:39
English to German
Good idea! Oct 7, 2016

I'm in.

[Edited at 2016-10-07 10:03 GMT]

Paula Durrosier
Paula Durrosier  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 16:39
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks for the suggestions Oct 7, 2016

Hi Barbara,

Thanks for writing and for your suggestions.

Even if at the moment it's not possible to restrict who can contact you according to specific rates, you may restrict who can contact you from your Email settings, under the 'Settings' tab. In that page you may also enter a note that will be shown to those attempting to contact you via your profile. In this note you may specify which are your working terms, so as to inform potential clients about them before they
... See more
Hi Barbara,

Even if at the moment it's not possible to restrict who can contact you according to specific rates, you may restrict who can contact you from your Email settings, under the 'Settings' tab. In that page you may also enter a note that will be shown to those attempting to contact you via your profile. In this note you may specify which are your working terms, so as to inform potential clients about them before they contact you.

Moreover, please note that from your Jobs dashboard, also under the 'Settings' tab, you can also choose not to receive notifications of jobs that are below your minimum rates. This may help reduce the amount of notifications you receive which do not meet your working terms.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

Paula
Collapse

Barbara Østergaard
Barbara Østergaard
Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much Oct 7, 2016

Paula Durrosier wrote:

Hi Barbara,

Even if at the moment it's not possible to restrict who can contact you according to specific rates, you may restrict who can contact you from your Email settings, under the 'Settings' tab. In that page you may also enter a note that will be shown to those attempting to contact you via your profile. In this note you may specify which are your working terms, so as to inform potential clients about them before they contact you.

Moreover, please note that from your Jobs dashboard, also under the 'Settings' tab, you can also choose not to receive notifications of jobs that are below your minimum rates. This may help reduce the amount of notifications you receive which do not meet your working terms.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

Paula

Thank you very much, Paula. That was exactly what I was looking for!

Best regards,
Barbara

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Optimising job offers

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »