Thread poster: Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 00:30
Dutch to English
+ ...
Aug 12, 2016

Maybe there are people who find this column interesting but my reaction is: why should anyone care? Why don't people put it in their profile where potential clients can see it - that would make more sense. As long as it was at the bottom of the page, at least you could ignore it but now it is front and center at the top of the page as if that is the first and most important thing viewers should know about proz.com. At the very least could it be moved back to the bottom of the page again where it... See more
Maybe there are people who find this column interesting but my reaction is: why should anyone care? Why don't people put it in their profile where potential clients can see it - that would make more sense. As long as it was at the bottom of the page, at least you could ignore it but now it is front and center at the top of the page as if that is the first and most important thing viewers should know about proz.com. At the very least could it be moved back to the bottom of the page again where it belongs?Collapse

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:30
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
See here Aug 12, 2016

http://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_technical_support/305462-how_do_i_remove_the_what_am_i_working_on_now_forum_from_my_home_page.html#2579630

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:30
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Removing from list of required forums doesn't stop it Aug 12, 2016

I have removed this from the list of required forums but the big banner display still comes up at the top of the page. I can remove it using AdBlock Plus, but I have to do this every time I open ProZ.

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Agree Aug 12, 2016

Jack Doughty wrote:

I have removed this from the list of required forums but the big banner display still comes up at the top of the page. I can remove it using AdBlock Plus, but I have to do this every time I open ProZ.

In the past, Proz provided an [x] with large-size ads at the top of the homepage. Perhaps they could add an [X] option here too.

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:30
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Adguard Aug 12, 2016

Just discovered another ad-blocking add-on for Firefox which works better. Set it to block this feature and next time you open ProZ, it will be shown for about five seconds and then disappear. With AdBlock Plus, you have to install the filter every time you open ProZ.

Later: it has now gone permanently, which I suppose must be due to Adguard.

[Edited at 2016-08-12 21:09 GMT]

esperantisto
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
uBlock Origin Aug 12, 2016

…is also efficient in removing ads as well as blocking other unwanted stuff and quite simple to use.

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 08:30
English to Italian
Seems to work for me Aug 12, 2016

Jack Doughty wrote:

I'm using ABP on Chrome, and after adding the filter and reopening the page, it still works (in my case, the URL being filtered is cdn2.proz.com/file_resources/other/a5222048b2bbfc989c6d95003cb706d2_wiwo_ad.jpg - which seems static, despite the long code in the filename).

esperantisto
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Probably… Aug 12, 2016

Jack Doughty wrote:

With AdBlock Plus, you have to install the filter every time you open ProZ.

…this results from a feature that they introduced in recent versions: AdBlock Plus does not block “good” ads (as I understand, to make your ads qualify as good, you have to pay the ABP developers). That’s why I switched to uBlock Origin.

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Thank you. Your suggestion works!!! Aug 12, 2016

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

Jack Doughty wrote:

I'm using ABP on Chrome, and after adding the filter and reopening the page, it still works (in my case, the URL being filtered is cdn2.proz.com/file_resources/other/a5222048b2bbfc989c6d95003cb706d2_wiwo_ad.jpg - which seems static, despite the long code in the filename).

Thank you! I just added your suggestion (cdn2.proz.com/file_resources/other/a5222048b2bbfc989c6d95003cb706d2_wiwo_ad.jpg ) to ABP on Chrome and the ad is definitely -and hopefully definitively- gone.

EvaVer (X)
EvaVer (X)  Identity Verified
Czech to French
+ ...
I just disregard the banner, Aug 12, 2016

but I also removed the forum - this is really nonsense for most people. It may be interesting if you translate literature - but why should I say I am translating boring contracts and IfUs etc., and I don't find such declarations from other people interesting, either.

Mirko Mainardi
Italy
English to Italian
You're welcome Aug 12, 2016

writeaway wrote:

Thank you! I just added your suggestion (cdn2.proz.com/file_resources/other/a5222048b2bbfc989c6d95003cb706d2_wiwo_ad.jpg ) to ABP on Chrome and the ad is definitely -and hopefully definitively- gone.

Glad it works

I simply added it to the filter using the "Block element" command, as I would normally do for any element on a page not automatically filtered by ABP.

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:30
Spanish to English
+ ...
The rank absurdity of it all... Aug 12, 2016

Why should paying members of this site have to resort to ad-blocking software to remove unwanted material from the site's home page?

What exactly was the great epiphany that made proz.com staff think that not only creating such a feature, but putting it front and center on the home page by default, would enhance the quality of the site?

[Edited at 2016-08-12 14:39 GMT]

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 03:30
SITE STAFF
Home page banners are used to promote new features and other news Aug 12, 2016

Robert Forstag wrote:

Why should paying members of this site have to resort to ad-blocking software to remove unwanted material from the site's home page?

Good point. It would make sense to be able to "dismiss" those banners one no longer wishes to see.

Robert Forstag wrote:
What exactly was the great epiphany that made proz.com staff think that not only creating such a feature, but putting it front and center on the home page by default, would enhance the quality of the site?

[Edited at 2016-08-12 14:39 GMT]

The banners are used to inform those who use ProZ.com about different things: new features, surveys, event announcements, free webinars, etc. Generally, no one banner is up for very long. But I can understand how a banner for a feature you have already decided isn't for you, for example, would be bothersome.

Jared

Mirko Mainardi
Italy
English to Italian
Why? Aug 13, 2016

Now at the top of our own profile page too?

Please, stop...

WIWO-screen

P.S. After I set that to "invisible" in the past days (when it still was in the "Profile" tab, I think...), today I noticed it had been moved in the place shown in the screenshot and set to visible...

On a related note, could you add visibility toggles to other items in the "Profile" tab (e.g. "Portfolio", "Glossaries", "Keywords", etc.), pretty please (with sugar on top)?

[Edited at 2016-08-13 00:16 GMT]

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 00:30
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not alone Aug 13, 2016

It's always nice to know that you're not alone. Thanks everyone for expressing your opinion as well and for your suggestions.

This forum is not on the list of forums in 'General Settings', so I'm not sure how to remove it from my home page. Have installed the Add Block plus on Firefox but no effect so far, maybe I need to restart my computer.

[Edited at 2016-08-13 01:29 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What proz.com translators are working on moved to top

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »