How about the suggestions for improvement of the forum editor?
Thread poster: 2nl (X)
2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 07:32
Dec 6, 2015

Some months ago there was a thread about improvements to the forum postings editor, an Undo feature, wysiwyg formatting, insertion of images etc. I was wondering: how about these improvements?

I'd also like to propose that the publishing format for webinars is changed from Flash to a format that can be viewed on a tablet.

[Edited at 2015-12-06 07:18 GMT]

soaper
soaper
Türkiye
Local time: 08:32
Turkish to English
The ProZ UI is in dire need of improvements Dec 22, 2015

The ProZ UI reminds me of the early days of the web (late 1990s). Visually, it is just horrible. The content of the site is invaluable, but the site is very difficult to use. Posting, responding to a post, editing, navigating, finding information on a page or across the site ... these are just agony.

I urge ProZ developers to think about using the Stack Exchange platform as possible infrastructure. I love the mechanics of Stack Exchange sites.

Note, however, that
... See more
The ProZ UI reminds me of the early days of the web (late 1990s). Visually, it is just horrible. The content of the site is invaluable, but the site is very difficult to use. Posting, responding to a post, editing, navigating, finding information on a page or across the site ... these are just agony.

I urge ProZ developers to think about using the Stack Exchange platform as possible infrastructure. I love the mechanics of Stack Exchange sites.

Note, however, that those sites are very unfriendly! ProZ should use Stack Exchange software but not become an unfriendly site.
Collapse

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:32
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Stack Exchange does not favour the lazy Dec 22, 2015

soaper wrote:
Note, however, that those sites are very unfriendly! ProZ should use Stack Exchange software but not become an unfriendly site.

I would disagree with that, at least for Stack Overflow and its related programming sites. I'm not saying that people are invariably sweetness and light; sometimes people can be a bit snarky.

However, in their defence the site attracts a lot of feckless and lazy people who breeze in and effectively asking others to do their work/homework for them. That does not go down well.

Askers should take time to think carefully about your question, check that it has not already been asked, show that you have already tried to answer it yourself and supply a minimal reproducible example (if relevant).

If you do that then in my experience you will usually get a better answer on Stack Overflow than on any other site, and you'll get it more quickly. It will also be commented on by others, which will tend to expose weak or less useful answers.

The preparation I outline above represents quite a bit of work and unfortunately many askers don't feel inclined to make the effort. I myself find that the process of creating a simplified reproducible example is invaluable and often leads to a solution so that I end up not needing to ask the question.

That aside, SE sites and its quasi-offshoot, the Discourse discussion system, are the gold standard as far as I'm concerned.

Regards
Dan

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Agreed Dec 23, 2015

soaper wrote:

I agree. Sooner or later Proz is going to have to bite this bullet. An enormous task, but one that can't be put off any longer.

[Edited at 2015-12-23 11:34 GMT]

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Sooner rather than later, please Dec 23, 2015

Tom in London wrote:
soaper wrote:

I agree. Sooner or later Proz is going to have to bite this bullet. An enormous task, but one that can't be put off any longer.

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:32
French to English
yeah and Dec 23, 2015

we've often asked for a "like" or "agree" button (those who don't want one don't have to use it)

and it'd be nice if you could systematically see the original post while you're typing your answer. Right now I can, but when the topic is already on its second page, you can't.

but who knows? maybe they'll be rolling out a new interface as a Christmas present?

soaper
soaper
Türkiye
Turkish to English
Re: Stack Exchange does not favour the lazy Dec 23, 2015

Dan Lucas: I agree w/ all you've said about the Stack Exchange communities. Before posting a question there, I spend a good deal of time preparing and editing my question.

I should not have brought that point up at all, as my post was really about the UI overhaul that is needed here. I was suggesting that ProZ could take the Stack Exchange software and use it as their forum formatting system. I believe Stack Exchange provides the software free of charge but I may be wrong. The i
... See more
Dan Lucas: I agree w/ all you've said about the Stack Exchange communities. Before posting a question there, I spend a good deal of time preparing and editing my question.

I should not have brought that point up at all, as my post was really about the UI overhaul that is needed here. I was suggesting that ProZ could take the Stack Exchange software and use it as their forum formatting system. I believe Stack Exchange provides the software free of charge but I may be wrong. The infrastructure (servers and database behind the scenes) would still need to be implemented by ProZ.

Any given ProZ page is visually so busy and the navigation is so awkward that it could be used as a case study of how *not* to design a website.
Collapse

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Stack Exchange/Discourse for the win, certainly Dec 23, 2015

soaper wrote:
I was suggesting that ProZ could take the Stack Exchange software and use it as their forum formatting system. ....

Any given ProZ page is visually so busy and the navigation is so awkward that it could be used as a case study of how *not* to design a website.

Completely agree with you on the above points: SE or Discourse would be great sites to emulate and ProZ's forum software is a train wreck.

Regards
Dan

soaper
soaper
Türkiye
Turkish to English
Moderators? Dec 24, 2015

At Stack Exchange sites, if a thread involves questions about the site itself, moderators will step in and comment.

Does that not happen here? I am new here, so don't have much experience as a user, but I was expecting some sort of response from the site moderators - either that an overhaul is in the works, or an explanation of why not.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How about the suggestions for improvement of the forum editor?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »