Thread poster: Yaotl Altan
Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:25
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Farewell, Nicole Feb 1, 2015

I too am sad to hear that Nicole has died. She was a feisty character and I enjoyed the occasional spat with her.
As to announcing our deaths here, it's a nice idea but, in my own case, I doubt that my son and heir, who I suppose will have to deal with my departure, will think of reporting it here or even be aware that I'm a Prozian, so I suppose I'll just go off the radar.
I hope I'll last a bit longer but, in case I don't, goodbye in advance, dear colleagues.

Susana E. Cano Méndez
Susana E. Cano Méndez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:25
French to Spanish
+ ...
Agree Feb 1, 2015

Walter Landesman wrote:

Yes, it seems like a good idea, and a better idea that the IN MEMORIAN box.
A black ribbon WITHIN the profile, next to the name.

I totally agree. This can be done as soon as the bad news are confirmed.

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
I agree Feb 1, 2015

Adrian MM. wrote:

I agree with the underyling sentiment. As mentioned, an in-memoriam lit-candle tribute already exists.

I received a shock from the original title of the post. I thought it meant a black mark for colleagues who were late with translations or interpreting assignments! Perhaps late can be changed to (BrE) deceased or ones who have 'passed away'

I'd prefer a candle and you are also right regarding LATE imho, I prefer deceased or passed away.

[Edited at 2015-02-01 21:34 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
RIP Nicole Mar 5, 2015

I was just thinking about her today: her acidic wit, her refusal to quit smoking, her inability to suffer fools.....isn't a person an amazing thing ? A guy I used to know who died of cancer about 10 years ago....I think about him at least once a week....

[Edited at 2015-03-05 11:51 GMT]

Cilian O'Tuama
Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
A ribbon of some sort... Mar 6, 2015

I agree that a ribbon of some sort is a compassionate idea.

E.g. I learnt only yesterday that a colleague with whom we had worked on and off but regularly for 10 years was no longer among us. We thought it strange not to receive replies to our numerous mails over 3-4 days, so we investigated further and eventually found an obituary notice.

Such a ribbon could have prevented us from sending multiple mails to various addresses, and perhaps from upsetting the bereaved (i
... See more
I agree that a ribbon of some sort is a compassionate idea.

E.g. I learnt only yesterday that a colleague with whom we had worked on and off but regularly for 10 years was no longer among us. We thought it strange not to receive replies to our numerous mails over 3-4 days, so we investigated further and eventually found an obituary notice.

Such a ribbon could have prevented us from sending multiple mails to various addresses, and perhaps from upsetting the bereaved (i.e. those with joint access to the email account), instead of letting them mourn in peace.

Such a ribbon certainly wouldn't do any harm.

Cilian
Collapse

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Italian to English
Great Idea but... Mar 6, 2015

In the early days of ProZ.com, Henry would have responded to this idea, one way or the other.
Nowadays, these things just disappear into thin air. Promised improvements are "added to the list" and years go by with no action.

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 03:25
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
But? Mar 7, 2015

Russell Jones wrote:

In the early days of ProZ.com, Henry would have responded to this idea, one way or the other.
Nowadays, these things just disappear into thin air. Promised improvements are "added to the list" and years go by with no action.

Butm where is Henry? Doesn't he run this site anymore?

Alejandro Cavalitto
Alejandro Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 06:25
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
There is a system in place already Mar 9, 2015

Hello,

I would like to point out that there is a system currently in place to mark profiles of colleagues who have passed away, as well as a forum dedicated solely to this topic: http://www.proz.com/forum/1352 . If you are aware of any profiles where this is necessary, please submit a support request to inform site staff, so appropriate action can be taken. Thank you.

Best regards
... See more
Hello,

I would like to point out that there is a system currently in place to mark profiles of colleagues who have passed away, as well as a forum dedicated solely to this topic: http://www.proz.com/forum/1352 . If you are aware of any profiles where this is necessary, please submit a support request to inform site staff, so appropriate action can be taken. Thank you.

Best regards,
Alejandro
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Black ribbon for late colleagues.

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »