Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:33
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Jane Sep 28, 2014

I can recognize you for having seen you around for quite a while, and I know I have answered some of your questions. I even recalled immediately that you use Puerto Rican Spanish. No, I wouldn't discriminate against you for using "Jane Translates", and it's too bad the Proz system did not allow you to use both that and your real name during a transition period, your reasons for doing so are quite legitimate. Your pseudonym is not what I call silly, what I would call silly are names such as "nose... See more
I can recognize you for having seen you around for quite a while, and I know I have answered some of your questions. I even recalled immediately that you use Puerto Rican Spanish. No, I wouldn't discriminate against you for using "Jane Translates", and it's too bad the Proz system did not allow you to use both that and your real name during a transition period, your reasons for doing so are quite legitimate. Your pseudonym is not what I call silly, what I would call silly are names such as "nosejob", "fluffball", "beeznees", etc. (all invented, so pardon me if someone actually uses one of those). They are so unprofessional. And I consider it to be unprofessional for registrants to fail to post any profile information. There have been a few participants (when I can remember) whose questions I will no longer answer because they are not only an anonymous pseudonym, there is no information on them at all after having been registered for a long time.

But then again, if people can get by like that, why should I complain?
Collapse

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 13:33
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thank you, Henry. Sep 29, 2014

It's good to be recognized!

I do, certainly, agree with you about misrepresentation. If people choose to give out personal or business-related information on a professional site, we ought to be safe in assuming that it is true.

If people choose to say nothing at all (or to decline to constantly upgrade or update their profiles), that's fine with me, too. Meanwhile, if you choose to ignore those users who tell you nothing, I (for one) do not fault you in the least.
... See more
It's good to be recognized!

I do, certainly, agree with you about misrepresentation. If people choose to give out personal or business-related information on a professional site, we ought to be safe in assuming that it is true.

If people choose to say nothing at all (or to decline to constantly upgrade or update their profiles), that's fine with me, too. Meanwhile, if you choose to ignore those users who tell you nothing, I (for one) do not fault you in the least.

I'm still curious about the Oso case--but I suppose it's none of my business, so I shan't ask again.

This is a fascinating thread! I enjoy reading different points of view. As usual, many people have brought up things I never would have thought of. I find I learn very little if I communicate only with those with whom I agree. And while there is much to be said for consistency and firm beliefs, I prefer to spend my time with folks who are willing, at least, to consider the possibility of changing their minds. Otherwise, what's conversation for?

Jane
Collapse

Chié_JP
Chié_JP
Japan
Local time: 02:33
Member (2013)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Bid and upload resume at that time and that will be enough. Sep 29, 2014

When some agencies get away with payment and still puts proudly working profile (not punitive like red lettered) on ProZ,
you may need self defence and their existence means you can not expect 100% integrity from registered member, agency or translator/interpreter (Internet has never been a safer place than where you are born). When you quote with your resume detailed it should be okay and worth something for agencies who look for the one they want (experience, price, whatever) . I do not
... See more
When some agencies get away with payment and still puts proudly working profile (not punitive like red lettered) on ProZ,
you may need self defence and their existence means you can not expect 100% integrity from registered member, agency or translator/interpreter (Internet has never been a safer place than where you are born). When you quote with your resume detailed it should be okay and worth something for agencies who look for the one they want (experience, price, whatever) . I do not want the world to know about me that well because the world usually won't come to me and tell me their name and contact.

If you are used to Facebook you are rather familiar with identity disclosure, but they still have incidents there.
It did not happen here for a while but I started receiving Chinese spams after I have sent application via ProZ and to the address I have sent it (other accounts are safe). This may be just a coincidence but this may also mean you can not be more serious and cautious about disclosing identity. If you go with all identity policy, all members should send Passport and social security number first to ProZ and less and less are comfortable with it.
Computer and Internet is enormous benefit to me, but I also think a time when Internet is no longer used for business or administration because all SSLs and encrypted signals are finally broken is not too wild a dream. Nothing is granted, security, computer health, system stability.

I heared from an agency who demanded reference because they got fooled by false home page-even if you have full information, you may get conned. Well, actually I do not want to tell visitors about my client either.

[2014-09-29 06:53 GMTに編集されました]
Collapse

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:33
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Oso Sep 29, 2014

Jane (and anyone else who is interested) may be able to use this link here to reach the post on Oso. However, it only shows the first two posts, and mine with the whole story does not appear. I'm copying the story below:

http://www.proz.com/forum/off_topic/275204-proz_user_named_oso.html

Oso was a she Sep 25

Apparentl
... See more
Jane (and anyone else who is interested) may be able to use this link here to reach the post on Oso. However, it only shows the first two posts, and mine with the whole story does not appear. I'm copying the story below:

http://www.proz.com/forum/off_topic/275204-proz_user_named_oso.html

Oso was a she Sep 25

Apparently Oso, off the site for close to ten years now, was female and worked together with a daughter and perhaps others and used false registrations to accumulate fraudulent points in EnglishSpanish. How it worked was that her daughter and/or others (or she herself) would feed questions into Proz for which she had the answers already worked out, which she would then post within minutes or even seconds. The answers also appeared to be well-researched and I just wondered how a person could do all that and be so fast. I knew that as long as Oso was there, I had no chance of beating him (or her as it turned out). Oso and I did have a cordial relationship on Proz and occasionally communicated. I pictured Oso as an affable man, a bit overweight, sitting in front of a computer all day long (at night too!) and right on top of everything that was happening at Proz in his language pair. He/she was always very courteous and helpful.

On an occasion I was going to be close to the area where Oso was supposedly based, San José, California, I invited him (or her as it turned out) to get together personally. His name was supposedly Nicolás Lomelín or Lomelino. He/she begged off using some sort of an excuse. Later, Oso supposedly was declared insane and was confined in some sort of mental hospital or institution against his will, but apparently had access to a computer. He/she informed translators registered on Proz of the situation and they became very alarmed and tried to do something for him/her to gain his release. I don't recall every detail, but it was then that some colleagues, I think mostly from Argentina, started looking into Oso's case, and they began to suspect that Oso was a fraud and they were later able to confirm it.

I recall having direct e-mail contact with one of the Argentine colleagues who explained things to me and told me that Oso was actually a woman masquerading as a man, and somehow she was even able to falsely confirm Oso's identity to Proz. In any case, with all this, Oso was dropped from the site never to return. But if you go back far enough, you can find questions that were answered by Oso. I think there is another Oso now, but surely no relation.

There's more, but that is what I recall, it's an interesting story.
Collapse

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 13:33
Spanish to English
+ ...
Again, thank you, Henry. Sep 30, 2014

I, too, was fond of Oso.

Jane

Cilian O'Tuama
Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:33
German to English
+ ...
Years later (I just stumbled upon this thread) Jul 12, 2016

I remember Oso too and have nothing negative to report. Site behaviour was unobjectionable from my perspective.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

No Identity, No Profile

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »