Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:26
French to English
Good point Aug 16, 2014

Madeleine Chevassus wrote:

Hi all,

Why not open a new Proz forum specialized for ridiculous job offers: very low rates, impossible rushs and also what I call "blind" offers: the outsourcer gives only his name but no country, no address, no website etc. Well noway to be a minimum confident.

We should have the right to give the name of these outsourcers, otherwise the forum would have no effect.

This method is already in place on a similar platform.

There is also an Unacceptable Translation Rates Naming & Shaming Group on LinkedIn.

Madeleine

[Edited at 2014-08-16 21:31 GMT]

There are some unscrupulous outsourcers out there, who continue to pay derisory sums, and they should be named and shamed. I've joined that LinkedIn group!

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:26
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
I got a proofreading job that pays $0.0075 per word Aug 16, 2014

And within 3 minutes that job was claimed by someone else. This means a lot of people are willing to take peanut jobs.

it is a marketing document. The one who claimed the job could be a college sophomore. I wonder what the effect will be if her proofed version is to be directly published.

The practice of some agencies are killing the business of their clients.

Someone may remove this post if it doesn't fit in here. Thanks!

[Edited at 2014-08-16 22:22
... See more
And within 3 minutes that job was claimed by someone else. This means a lot of people are willing to take peanut jobs.

it is a marketing document. The one who claimed the job could be a college sophomore. I wonder what the effect will be if her proofed version is to be directly published.

The practice of some agencies are killing the business of their clients.

Someone may remove this post if it doesn't fit in here. Thanks!

[Edited at 2014-08-16 22:22 GMT]
Collapse

XXXphxxx (X)
XXXphxxx (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Heartily agree Aug 17, 2014

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

systems that encourage bidding wars (or reverse auctions) should be made illegal, imo. It's degrading for our profession and give a false impression of what the rates really are. Yes, seeing the same low rates day in and day out will convince many that they are the norm. They are not. Business transactions should be private, not public. I don't see why clients should have an easy life, lazily posting their requests on the platform, at the detriment of an entire profession. Let's ban it. ProZ is great for many other things. But the job board and the KudoZ point-based system should be deleted from the face of the earth...

...but they'll never do it for fear of losing traffic.

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
yes... Aug 17, 2014

Lisa Simpson, MCIL MITI wrote:

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

systems that encourage bidding wars (or reverse auctions) should be made illegal, imo. It's degrading for our profession and give a false impression of what the rates really are. Yes, seeing the same low rates day in and day out will convince many that they are the norm. They are not. Business transactions should be private, not public. I don't see why clients should have an easy life, lazily posting their requests on the platform, at the detriment of an entire profession. Let's ban it. ProZ is great for many other things. But the job board and the KudoZ point-based system should be deleted from the face of the earth...

...but they'll never do it for fear of losing traffic.

I'm well aware of that... mine was just a little bit of venting... felt better after that...

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translator education: a possible solution to despicable job offers

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »