"Fuzzy matches" in KudoZ glossary search
Thread poster: philgoddard
philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
Nov 18, 2013

If you search for a term in the KudoZ glossary, it returns only exact matches. So for example if you search for the singular form of a noun (which is what you would normally do with a dictionary search), and there are glossary entries for the plural form, you don't see them. Likewise, if you enter the infinitive of a noun, and there's an entry for the present participle, you don't see this.

This is because a lot of people enter words and phrases as they appear in the texts they're
... See more
If you search for a term in the KudoZ glossary, it returns only exact matches. So for example if you search for the singular form of a noun (which is what you would normally do with a dictionary search), and there are glossary entries for the plural form, you don't see them. Likewise, if you enter the infinitive of a noun, and there's an entry for the present participle, you don't see this.

This is because a lot of people enter words and phrases as they appear in the texts they're translating, forgetting that their questions are likely to end up as glossary entries.

I was wondering whether it would be possible to find near, fuzzy matches as well as exact ones. Would that be horrendously complicated to implement?

Alternatively, could posters see a message asking them to enter the simplest, uninflected form of the word they're translating?
Collapse

John Holland
John Holland  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 05:35
French to English
Lucene syntax Nov 18, 2013

Hi philgoddard,

According to the help for KudoZ, it is possible to use Lucene search syntax:
http://www.proz.com/search/?popup=help

Lucene uses the tilda for fuzzy searc
... See more
Hi philgoddard,

According to the help for KudoZ, it is possible to use Lucene search syntax:
http://www.proz.com/search/?popup=help

Lucene uses the tilda for fuzzy searches:
https://lucene.apache.org/core/3_6_1/queryparsersyntax.html#Fuzzy%20Searches

So, for example, if you search for "cherch~" in French to English, you will get "chercher," "cherchez," "cherché," "chercheur," and so on.

Maybe that would work, if it doesn't give too many unwanted results.
Collapse

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks. I didn't know that. Nov 18, 2013

And I'm sure no one else does either.

It's not very satisfactory that you have to use a tilde to see all the relevant hits. You don't have to do this with an online dictionary, and this is probably one of the reasons why people ask questions that have already been answered.

[Edited at 2013-11-18 18:08 GMT]

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Finding the ~ Nov 19, 2013

philgoddard wrote:

And I'm sure no one else does either.

It's not very satisfactory that you have to use a tilde to see all the relevant hits. You don't have to do this with an online dictionary, and this is probably one of the reasons why people ask questions that have already been answered.

[Edited at 2013-11-18 18:08 GMT]

You also have to know where the blessed tilde is on your PC. I've just had a look and am none the wiser. I had to copy and paste this one ~ from the "Insert" option in Word.

Hey, that is handy! Just tried it on the search page and all the results come up in the target language. Thanks for posting this thread

[Edited at 2013-11-19 11:43 GMT]

Helena Chavarria
Helena Chavarria  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
In Spanish the tilde is next to number '4' Nov 19, 2013

Press Alt Gr (on the right of the spacer) and the '4' that's under the '$' symbol (you'll see the ~ next to the number). When you carry on writing, the symbol appears!

Victoria Britten
Victoria Britten  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
On a French PC keyboard... Nov 20, 2013

It's Alt Gr + 2

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 04:35
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
On a French keyboard Nov 20, 2013

as Victoria Britten wrote:
It's Alt Gr + 2

even when said keyboard is being used by a Brit living in Spain

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:35
German to English
+ ...
On all keyboards ... Nov 21, 2013

On all keyboards (those with a numeric keypad) the tilde (~) should be Alt 0126; i.e. while pressing the Alt key, type 0126 on the numeric keypad.
See, for example:
http://www2.units.it/hirema/didattica/materiali/charset/ISOIEC_8859-1/IEC_8859-1.htm
("hirema" = HIstorical REsources MAnagement)
Oliver

[Edited at 2013-11-21
... See more
On all keyboards (those with a numeric keypad) the tilde (~) should be Alt 0126; i.e. while pressing the Alt key, type 0126 on the numeric keypad.
See, for example:
http://www2.units.it/hirema/didattica/materiali/charset/ISOIEC_8859-1/IEC_8859-1.htm
("hirema" = HIstorical REsources MAnagement)
Oliver

[Edited at 2013-11-21 12:10 GMT]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
On my keyboard Nov 21, 2013

neilmac wrote:
You also have to know where the blessed tilde is on your PC.

On my keyboard, it is on the same key as the `, which on my keyboard is directly under the Esc key.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Fuzzy matches" in KudoZ glossary search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »