Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:35
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Oct 5, 2013

When you go to a KudoZ link from an email, if the question has been squashed, you see:
"This question has been removed"
(by whom, reason)
"More information" (squashing guidelines, KudoZ rules)
"If after reviewing the above you believe this question has been removed inappropriately, please contact a site moderator".

How can you tell if a question has been removed inappropriately or not if you can't see the question?
Would it be possible to give a
... See more
When you go to a KudoZ link from an email, if the question has been squashed, you see:
"This question has been removed"
(by whom, reason)
"More information" (squashing guidelines, KudoZ rules)
"If after reviewing the above you believe this question has been removed inappropriately, please contact a site moderator".

How can you tell if a question has been removed inappropriately or not if you can't see the question?
Would it be possible to give a link (differing from the original one) to the squashed question, so that if anyone wants to judge whether or not squashing was inappropriate, they have enough meaningful information to make such a judgement?

[Edited at 2013-10-05 08:59 GMT]
Collapse

Ashutosh Mitra
Ashutosh Mitra  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 00:05
Member (2011)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
You are right! Oct 5, 2013

A different link shall be provided to the squashed question, so that if anyone wants to decide whether or not the squashing was inappropriate, he/she will have enough information to make such a judgement.

Regards.

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 20:35
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Moving the thread Oct 5, 2013

to the "Suggestions" forum.

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 20:35
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
The whole squashing thing Oct 6, 2013

Dear Jack,

The whole squashing thing is only available and visible to members who have contributed a lot to KudoZ, or to the ProZ company, Im still not sure. That's why I have the authority to squash unanswered KudoZ questions and you have both the authority to squash them and revoke squashing. This could explain why nobody reacts to your posting.

Cheers,
Gerard

[Edited at 2013-10-06 20:54 GMT]

Jack Doughty
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
To Gerard Oct 6, 2013

Thank you for your post, I was expecting a bit more reaction to this than I have had, now I understand why. I have squashing rights, but I don't have "revoke-squashing rights", all I have is the theoretical right to contact a moderator on the subject, but in practice I don't even have that, because there is no basis for doing so as I don't know what the question was.

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:35
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Don't you have the quesion in the email? Oct 7, 2013

Hi Jack,
Maybe I misunderstood, but didn't you say you went to the question's KudoZ page using the link in the notification email? I think that email itself has the question, no?

Here is an example of KudoZ notifications I get:
New KudoZ question:
-----------------------
Term: spindle
Languages: English to Hungarian
Field: Computers: Software
Level: professional
Asker: XXXX
URL: XXXX
-----------------------
... See more
Hi Jack,
Maybe I misunderstood, but didn't you say you went to the question's KudoZ page using the link in the notification email? I think that email itself has the question, no?

Here is an example of KudoZ notifications I get:
New KudoZ question:
-----------------------
Term: spindle
Languages: English to Hungarian
Field: Computers: Software
Level: professional
Asker: XXXX
URL: XXXX
-----------------------

So, you can see the asked term, the language pair and the field.

Katalin
Collapse

Jack Doughty
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Question is not in the email Oct 7, 2013

Katalin: I have everything that you have, including the URL, but not the text of the question itself, only the term. The URL only takes me to the uninformative page I described in my first post.

[Edited at 2013-10-07 08:46 GMT]

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Are there many squashed questions? Oct 7, 2013

if there are not many, why bother to even think about it?

In my language pair, there are 2 or 3 squashed questions in a year so it is not an issue at all.

Jack Doughty
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Yes, quite a few Oct 7, 2013

I am notified of Russian-English and all-English questions. I haven't kept a log of them, but I'd say there's probably about one a week in those two pairs taken together.

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
The reason for squashing? Oct 7, 2013

Jack,
In my pairs most squashing occurs because the question is longer than 10 words, and/or contains multiple terms. These can be seen just by looking at what is in the "Term" field in the email.
Occasionally there are questions that are not term questions (such as "where to find info on tax issues in Japan"), which again, can be seen from the "Term" field.
That said, if you see something that is suspicious, you can always contact the moderators or site staff.
Katalin

Jack Doughty
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
More information could provide more undeerstanding Oct 8, 2013

This is really rather an academic question anyway, because it is very unlikely that I would ever dispute a colleague's decision to squash, but I have sometimes just been curious about the reason and wanted to more information, which I felt provision of the full question would provide.

Jack Doughty
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Example Nov 2, 2013

KudoZ question today 2nd Nov 2013.
http://www.proz.com/kudoz/5375992

The subject heading is "очень непонятный вопрос" - "a highly incomprehensible question".
Reason for squashing: asker advised to ask in forums.

OK, that might well be the best thing, but the asker is a very experienced ProZ user. I would like to be able to see what the highly i
... See more
KudoZ question today 2nd Nov 2013.
http://www.proz.com/kudoz/5375992

The subject heading is "очень непонятный вопрос" - "a highly incomprehensible question".
Reason for squashing: asker advised to ask in forums.

OK, that might well be the best thing, but the asker is a very experienced ProZ user. I would like to be able to see what the highly incomprehensible question was and form my own opinion.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Reviewing" squashed KudoZ questions

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »