Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
How about a "Like" button for ProZ.com forum posts?
Thread poster: philgoddard
Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:00
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Good example of why a like button is definitely missing Jul 12, 2013

Max Deryagin wrote:

János Untener wrote:

The negative effects of likes/upvotes/agrees you see on social media sites:
The objectivity of the posts immediately declines
Witty but pointless one-liners appear
People start wasting their time checking their likes
And most importantly: "liking" something does not add plus content

This is a professional site and I see no professional reason why they should implement it.
What's next? Poking your colleagues?

Spot on. Whoever knows what Reddit is will definitely dislike the idea.

Max, just imagine, you could have simply clicked on "like" for János' post, and saved a lot of space

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 09:30
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
I like the idea Jul 12, 2013

Many times you read a post and enjoy it, but have nothing to comment on it or add to it. In such cases, there is no way in the current dispensation to show that the post did not go unnoticed or unread but was read and enjoyed.

Often times, important ideas are expressed in these posts and which hecklers shoot down by picking on it with inane comments. If there were a Like button and people use it, then the hecklers would have a hard time plying their business on this site and this wo
... See more
Many times you read a post and enjoy it, but have nothing to comment on it or add to it. In such cases, there is no way in the current dispensation to show that the post did not go unnoticed or unread but was read and enjoyed.

Often times, important ideas are expressed in these posts and which hecklers shoot down by picking on it with inane comments. If there were a Like button and people use it, then the hecklers would have a hard time plying their business on this site and this would improve the quality of the discussions.

Having said that, in addition to the Like button, there should also be a Don't Like button, to further amplify the positive impact of this feature.

I would go a few further steps and propose a Like (and Don't Like) buttons also for threads, in addition to the posts in them.

In the case of threads, this function is indirectly performed by the statistics showing how many times it was viewed, but Like and Don't Like buttons for them would provide a more accurate feeling of how the thread was received by prozians.
Collapse

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Don't like... Jul 12, 2013

Balasubramaniam L. wrote:

Often times, important ideas are expressed in these posts and which hecklers shoot down by picking on it with inane comments. If there were a Like button and people use it, then the hecklers would have a hard time plying their business on this site and this would improve the quality of the discussions.

Having said that, in addition to the Like button, there should also be a Don't Like button, to further amplify the positive impact of this feature.

I would go a few further steps and propose a Like (and Don't Like) buttons also for threads, in addition to the posts in them.

In the case of threads, this function is indirectly performed by the statistics showing how many times it was viewed, but Like and Don't Like buttons for them would provide a more accurate feeling of how the thread was received by prozians.

I don't like the idea of a Don't like button, I think it's a good way to make enemies.
I wouldn't mind a Like button, or an Agree button.
Do people spend time counting their likes? I notice sometimes on FB that people have "liked" a comment of mine but no way would I be checking all the time!

And for those who vote against it, nobody will make you use it!

[Edited at 2013-07-12 17:52 GMT]

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:00
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
How about a HELL YEAH! button instead? Jul 12, 2013

HELL YEAH!

Michael

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:00
Spanish to English
+ ...
Like! Jul 12, 2013

Michael Beijer wrote:

HELL YEAH!

Michael

Love it!

There's a "recommend" button (which is the same thing as the "like" button, according to facebook) just above the forum, but it's for the entire forum, not a single post. There's the "share" option just about the "post reply" buttons too.

Maybe something like the "agree" button in kudoz?

[Edited at 2013-07-12 20:01 GMT]

AnnaSCHTR
AnnaSCHTR  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:00
English to Czech
+ ...
Not sure Jul 13, 2013

I am really not sure it is such a great idea. This is a forum for professional linguists. Surely we can express ourselves in a little more thoughtful way than by clicking on a button, or by LOLs and AFAIKs. There is a place for these things, but perhaps not here. If you agree with something, why don't you say why? And if you have nothing to say, why... well, never mind.

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Nobody's making you hit a Like button. Jul 14, 2013

AnnaSCHTR wrote:

I am really not sure it is such a great idea. This is a forum for professional linguists. Surely we can express ourselves in a little more thoughtful way than by clicking on a button, or by LOLs and AFAIKs. There is a place for these things, but perhaps not here. If you agree with something, why don't you say why? And if you have nothing to say, why... well, never mind.

It's for when all you have to say is "I like what this person has said", or "I agree with this person because that's exactly what I think".

The point is that if there's disagreement over a particular issue, it could be that A keeps on and on bringing out more arguments and telling points, but in fact everybody else agrees with B's single argument for the other side.

Here, various reasons have been cited for not having a Like button. Those in favour have simply said that they feel the need for it. If there were a Like button, we could simply all click on "Like" the first time that someone says "If there were a Like button I'd be hitting it now", and Proz staff would see at a glance that for each person trotting out an argument against, there are so many people saying they are for. It's a way of gauging what the "silent majority" think: people who don't necessarily have tons of arguments to bring to the discussion and who often say nothing but who may well feel strongly nonetheless.

As I said previously, nobody's making you hit a Like button.

[Edited at 2013-07-15 08:36 GMT]

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I never got a reply to this post. Nov 18, 2013

Are you reading this, ProZ staff?

Melanie Meyer
Melanie Meyer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:00
Member (2010)
English to German
+ ...
Quick comments Nov 18, 2013

Samuel Murray wrote:

What I would find useful is the ability to write very short comments, i.e. "quick comments". One can place a character limit on such comments (say, 100 characters), and integrate it into the thread layout so that it doesn't interfere with the flow of the conversation (e.g. let it appear directly under the post that it refers to, in smaller font. Have a rule (hope it gets enforced) that you're not allowed to reply to quick comments by adding more quick comments.

I agree that such a feature ("enhanced" or modified like/comment button) would be useful.

P.L.F. Persio
P.L.F. Persio  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
Hell why not Nov 20, 2013

You got my vote, Phil.

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Encourage them not to waste space Nov 20, 2013

Emma Goldsmith wrote:
Far too much space is taken up in threads by people quoting an entire post just to write "I agree" underneath it.
Yes, I do not like to see a reply that quotes an entire post (in some cases many lines in length) and then says "I agree", or even nothing.

Example of better practice: I have deleted part of Emma's post in this reply to it. I suspect some people are not sufficiently aware, when they reply to a post, that they can edit the quote of the post to which they are replying. Perhaps the ProZ page in which the reply is written should (if the quoted post is more than a certain length) include a large-font reminder that they can, and should, remove irrelevant parts before composing and posting the reply, with a link to some information on how to do the edit, for those who aren't sure.

I don't much "like" the idea of a "like" button but I suppose it would be useful for members to be able to express a reaction to a post without taking much space. Appropriate buttons might be, for example, "Agree" (already mentioned), "Disagree", "Important information" and perhaps a couple of others. Then: how should these reactions be displayed? I think perhaps as counts of the totals, with the names of the members selecting each of the reactions - I expect anonymous "Agrees", "Disagrees", "Likes" etc could too easily be misused.
Oliver

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
COMMENT button? Nov 20, 2013

Perhaps we could have for a "comment" button. This could then bring up a choice of like, dislike, agree, thanks,..., together with another option to post a short comment referring to selected text.

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 22:00
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes Feb 7, 2014

philgoddard wrote:

I often read forum posts that make me think, or laugh, or both, and it would be nice to express my appreciation for them without necessarily posting a response.

I just did a search to see if this question had been asked already, and while I didn't find it, I did find lots of posts saying words to the effect of "If there were a Like button, I'd be pressing it now."

What do you think?

I like the idea, and not only that. I think we could share important info via Twitter or FB if we had icons on the posts.

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Yes Feb 8, 2014

Sheila Wilson wrote:

Perhaps we could have for a "comment" button. This could then bring up a choice of like, dislike, agree, thanks,..., together with another option to post a short comment referring to selected text.

I like this idea.

Jessica Noyes
Jessica Noyes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:00
Spanish to English
+ ...
Support the idea of a comment button Feb 9, 2014

I like Sheila's idea of a comment button.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How about a "Like" button for ProZ.com forum posts?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »