Thread poster: Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 11:08
English to Polish
+ ...
Jun 22, 2013

Sorry if this is the wrong place, but I've run out of votes and can't post ideas on the dedicated site.

I'd like to discuss the titles on custom tabs, which are perhaps among the most underused cool features available to all users (everybody can have 1 custom tab) and paying members (3 tabs).

Is the 15 some kind of a technical limit relating to the databases that can't really be moved, or would it be possible to allow a longer tab title subject to moderation by staff?

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:08
Portuguese to English
+ ...
A good idea, Jun 23, 2013

it would be great to have this possibility.

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 11:08
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
One more suggestion Jun 23, 2013

I'd have one more suggestion, please: the ability to select the default background colour of a custom tab. This is particularly important IMHO for the following reasons:

– olive background isn't necessarily great for writing on;
– the main page of a profile has full-width off-white (#f9f8f1) writing space, and it would be nice to be able to follow the same pattern;
– if you define even a 100%-width div or some other child element in the code you can enter through t
... See more
I'd have one more suggestion, please: the ability to select the default background colour of a custom tab. This is particularly important IMHO for the following reasons:

– olive background isn't necessarily great for writing on;
– the main page of a profile has full-width off-white (#f9f8f1) writing space, and it would be nice to be able to follow the same pattern;
– if you define even a 100%-width div or some other child element in the code you can enter through the settings page, it still won't span the entire parent width.

#2 is connected with the fact that the page source wraps the user-input code into a table with the olive background. One's essentially writing into a TD element. Neither through CSS width nor through HTML width (i.e. nesting another table) is it possible to replace the olive with the off-white over the entire width. I've tried multiple solutions, even closing off that table, but table-closing tags get parsed away.

One would probably have to try negative margins via CSS until it works, which could be rendered badly in problem browsers, e.g. by interfering with the border that separates a profile from the off-white background of the rest of Proz.com.

If you look at my custom tabs, you will see 0-margin 100%-width divs with a little padding. Doesn't look bad at all and has a bit of a Web-3.0-blog-like feel. I could give it a green border to look more natural within the Proz.com layout. But I a full-width #f9f8f1 just like on the main profile page would look even better.

(This would need the table that wraps the user's content to take its bgcolor from an SQL query, along with title and text. As far as the editing interface goes, a drop-down list of recommended defined colours (to avoid having to mine colour values from Proz.com screenshots) and a text field for freehand entry could appear on the left side under title entry.)
Collapse

Ambrose Li
Ambrose Li  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:08
English
+ ...
Instead of having the ability to select the colour of a custom tab Jun 23, 2013

Actually, I’d rather that ProZ just fixed their HTML generator to generate better behaving, modern HTML code that conforms to current best practices. As it stands, hardly anything has id attributes, few things have class attributes, and almost everything is styled inline. This is why it’s so hard to style our tabs.

A lot of stuff also isn’t just filtered out, but changed. So even though some elements can theoretically be selected, they can’t because ProZ’s backend changes
... See more
Actually, I’d rather that ProZ just fixed their HTML generator to generate better behaving, modern HTML code that conforms to current best practices. As it stands, hardly anything has id attributes, few things have class attributes, and almost everything is styled inline. This is why it’s so hard to style our tabs.

A lot of stuff also isn’t just filtered out, but changed. So even though some elements can theoretically be selected, they can’t because ProZ’s backend changes our selectors so that they become syntactically invalid.

By the way, the “15 character limit” is also misleading. I’ve done a few tests and found that it’s really a 15 byte limit and not a 15 character limit. This becomes very important if your tabs are not in English. Non-English speakers get less than what’s promised.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Custom tab title length

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »