Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 22:48
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 13, 2013

Perhaps this has been proposed before but I have not noticed it.

Everyday we receive job proposals from potential clients via Proz and we can fill the respective. In a 10 minutes, we'll see that several translators have applied, but we don't know their rates.

I think it would be a great idea if (BEFORE WE SEND OUR BUDGET) all the rates are averaged so the system can display a special field indicating the lowest rate, the highest one, and the average.

Kind
... See more

Everyday we receive job proposals from potential clients via Proz and we can fill the respective. In a 10 minutes, we'll see that several translators have applied, but we don't know their rates.

I think it would be a great idea if (BEFORE WE SEND OUR BUDGET) all the rates are averaged so the system can display a special field indicating the lowest rate, the highest one, and the average.

Kind regards!
Collapse

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 06:48
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Sounds great, would be stupid Feb 13, 2013

Yaotl Altan wrote:

Kind regards!

That would mean that any punter using using this website would find out our lowest rates, our highest rates and our average rates. I don't know of any other trade where suppliers are that stupid. Our only way to counteract the trend to commodify our services is to stay unclear about pricing in public venues. Anything that can be harvested by robots or cheap humans will be harvested.

Cheers,
Gerard

Yaotl Altan
Mexico
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Pull up Feb 13, 2013

As a matter of fact, the idea is to pull rates up, Gerard.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Actually... Feb 13, 2013

Yaotl Altan wrote:
Gerard de Noord wrote:
Yaotl Altan wrote:

That would mean that any punter using using this website would find out our lowest rates, our highest rates and our average rates.

I don't follow Gerard's line of thinking -- any punter using this site can currently find out our lowest and our usual rates anyway. But the information that is currently available is the average of that which was stated by translators as a hypothetical. Those rates don't relate to an actual quote.

I agree with Yaotl in that I also think that this will pull rates upwards, not downwards. However, the downside is that slow responders will have a better chance at getting the job than quick responders.

Yaotl Altan
Mexico
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
WWA Feb 13, 2013

Samuel Murray wrote:

Yaotl Altan wrote:
Gerard de Noord wrote:
Yaotl Altan wrote:

That would mean that any punter using using this website would find out our lowest rates, our highest rates and our average rates.

I don't follow Gerard's line of thinking -- any punter using this site can currently find out our lowest and our usual rates anyway. But the information that is currently available is the average of that which was stated by translators as a hypothetical. Those rates don't relate to an actual quote.

I agree with Yaotl in that I also think that this will pull rates upwards, not downwards. However, the downside is that slow responders will have a better chance at getting the job than quick responders.

Yes, Samuel, but not always if clients look at our WWA.

Kind regards!

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:48
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not a good idea Feb 13, 2013

When ProZ first began, you could see the rates and quotes of all applicants. Someone bid .14, then someone bid 13.5 cents, then someone bid .10... etc.

It was then decided to make all bids private.

Your rate should be based on the value of the service you provide and not what on others charge. I would not adjust the rate because others charge less. There will always be someone charging .05. How low are you prepared to go?

I do not care if the entire world
... See more
When ProZ first began, you could see the rates and quotes of all applicants. Someone bid .14, then someone bid 13.5 cents, then someone bid .10... etc.

Your rate should be based on the value of the service you provide and not what on others charge. I would not adjust the rate because others charge less. There will always be someone charging .05. How low are you prepared to go?

I do not care if the entire world lowered their rate to .08, I would choose to do something else instead.

By the way, AWESOME profile page Yaotl !

Yaotl Altan wrote:

Kind regards!

[Edited at 2013-02-13 20:34 GMT]
Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Yaotl Altan
Mexico
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ANonymous Feb 13, 2013

Jeff Whittaker wrote:

Hi, Jeff. Thanx for sharing. Before 2005? Wit that old system, everybody could see the translator's name or was it anonymous?

Thanks.

Unfortunately, when my server crashes, it's awful because it doesn't display the images. Perhaps, I have to store them in Proz.com.

Have a nice day.

Yaotl Altan wrote:

Kind regards!

[Edited at 2013-02-13 20:34 GMT] [/quote]

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:48
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
An end to public bidding Feb 13, 2013

How quickly we forget history:

http://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom:_translator_coop/5950-open_public_bidding_since_when.html

... See more
How quickly we forget history:

http://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom:_translator_coop/5950-open_public_bidding_since_when.html

http://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom:_translator_coop/1056-report:_new_bidding_system_having_positive_effects.html

http://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom:_translator_coop/891-no_more_public_bidding.html
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Completely agree Feb 14, 2013

Jeff Whittaker wrote:
Your rate should be based on the value of the service you provide and not what on others charge.

Absolutely! Seeing what others charge would drag us into the downward spiral again.

Yaotl Altan
Mexico
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Mentality Feb 14, 2013

If you think you are not the right guy for X job, certainly, you won't get it. How many times have we heard that before? It's not feasible, bad idea, etc. Unions are a reality today, even if some centuries ago people used to think "What for? Are they useful?"

There will always be low rates, but what will clients do? Will they choose the cheapest translator just to save money? Come on! They are not so naïve. We'll see him again in Proz later, trying to hire a good translator with hi
... See more
If you think you are not the right guy for X job, certainly, you won't get it. How many times have we heard that before? It's not feasible, bad idea, etc. Unions are a reality today, even if some centuries ago people used to think "What for? Are they useful?"

There will always be low rates, but what will clients do? Will they choose the cheapest translator just to save money? Come on! They are not so naïve. We'll see him again in Proz later, trying to hire a good translator with higher rates. If clients really want to maximize savings, well, there's Google Translate...and still, Proz exists.
Collapse

Kathinka van de Griendt
Kathinka van de Griendt  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Awesome indeed! Feb 14, 2013

Jeff Whittaker wrote:

Agreed! This is when I miss Facebook's "Like" button ...

Regards to all, Kathinka

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rate average

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »