Special Glossary for Abbreviations and Acronyms?
Thread poster: Jon Fedler
Jon Fedler
Jon Fedler
Local time: 16:40
German to English
+ ...
Dec 1, 2012

In the majority of my translations I come across unfamiliar abbreviations and/or acronyms.
A significant number of questions relate to these, but I think they should be saved in a special glossary.(If there is one somewhere please excuse my ignorance. Also, there was a rule once that questioned abbreviations or acronyms must b more than 2 letters. I can only assume that this was for technical reasons, but if it still exists i think it illogical and a nuisance.

ATIL KAYHAN
ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
Web Search Dec 1, 2012

I suggest that you do a web search using the two words, abbreviations and acronyms. You might end up with some glossaries that can help you. I do not like abbreviations, either. If you know it, it is good. If you do not know it, it is no good. Most of the time, it is very hard to figure out what the letters stand for.

Trudy Peters
Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:40
German to English
+ ...
For German Dec 1, 2012

you can start with www.abkuerzungen.de.

I'm sure there are others.

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:40
Italian to English
3 character rule no longer exists Dec 1, 2012

Jon Fedler wrote:

There was a rule once that questioned abbreviations or acronyms must b more than 2 letters. I can only assume that this was for technical reasons, but if it still exists i think it illogical and a nuisance.

It has been changed recently (but only in the new version of the ProZ.com Term Search) and 2 letter searches are now a very welcome addition.

As far as a special glossary is concerned, I don't personally see the benefit of separating abbreviations or acronyms, but if you think there is a case, why not suggest it in the Ideas section (top right tab)?

Jon Fedler
Jon Fedler
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks but.. Dec 2, 2012

I appreciate you efforts but:
Trudy and Atil:

I ALWAYS begin using the means you suggest - this is the only way I know of other than Proz, but generally I don't find highly specialized abbreviations

(e.g. in a recent translation I did on auto parts development there were about 15. Some were company-internal but I had no access to the client... In all I, must have spent two hours searching!

Russel - perhaps I didn't explain well - acronyms and
... See more
I appreciate you efforts but:
Trudy and Atil:

I ALWAYS begin using the means you suggest - this is the only way I know of other than Proz, but generally I don't find highly specialized abbreviations

(e.g. in a recent translation I did on auto parts development there were about 15. Some were company-internal but I had no access to the client... In all I, must have spent two hours searching!

Russel - perhaps I didn't explain well - acronyms and abbrs. are usually linked in glossaries and any Proz version should definitely serve both types together.

Regayrds
JF
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 15:40
Spanish to English
+ ...
Too many possibilities Dec 2, 2012

Acronyms and abbreviations when undefined are one of my pet hates and a few years ago I simply decided to insist that any client or author using them in their texts must define them, otherwise I will just leave them as they are. I explain that most of the time my clients are in a hurry and how an awful lot of time can be wasted researching these things when the person who used the blessed thing in the first place could have saved us the bother. I have never had a negative response to this, the w... See more
Acronyms and abbreviations when undefined are one of my pet hates and a few years ago I simply decided to insist that any client or author using them in their texts must define them, otherwise I will just leave them as they are. I explain that most of the time my clients are in a hurry and how an awful lot of time can be wasted researching these things when the person who used the blessed thing in the first place could have saved us the bother. I have never had a negative response to this, the worst being "just leave it as it is".Collapse

Jon Fedler
Jon Fedler
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
To Neilmac Dec 3, 2012

I also do this where possible. However it depends who the outsourcer is. For example, some of my clients are small translation agencies who are commissioned not by the originator of the document (e.g. a global manufacturer) but by a local party seeking, in general, to bid in a tender, who only has access to a Gerrnan copy.

I recently translated an auto parts development tender on this basis and neither of the above sources could help. Fortunately I found a good online abbr. a
... See more
I also do this where possible. However it depends who the outsourcer is. For example, some of my clients are small translation agencies who are commissioned not by the originator of the document (e.g. a global manufacturer) but by a local party seeking, in general, to bid in a tender, who only has access to a Gerrnan copy.

I recently translated an auto parts development tender on this basis and neither of the above sources could help. Fortunately I found a good online abbr. and acronym dictionary for the auto branch and solved most of the remainder via Proz. Which is what set me off thinking about a separate Proz glossary.
Collapse

NetLynx
NetLynx  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:40
English to Danish
+ ...
To Jon Fedler Dec 3, 2012

... I found a good online abbr. and acronym dictionary for the auto branch ...

Please, tell me which one.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Special Glossary for Abbreviations and Acronyms?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »