Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183] >
Should “native language” claims be verified?
Thread poster: XXXphxxx (X)
Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 20:10
Chinese to English
Mud wrestling is the only way to settle this Sep 13, 2012

Irreconcilable differences. We should get divorced.

I'm not up for big structural changes, giving up on native in favour of a quality test.

Samuel:
Didn't my wording already say what the problem was? Certain members misrepresenting their native language? Do you think we need to say more?

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:10
Hebrew to English
Whistleblowing Sep 13, 2012

Samuel Murray wrote:
Liars and cheats
Whistle blowing seems to be the only viable option to deal with liars and cheats. Many people would oppose it or dislike it, but I don't see any other way to deal with genuine liars and cheats. I don't think we have discussed whistle blowing extensively enough. Outright lying about native language isn't a problem in all languages, but in some languages it is a very serious problem. I think this should be one of the main items on the petition.

I agree that whisteblowing hasn't received a lot of attention of late. To some extent I believe this has the potential to be an effective stop-gap measure, if not a solution altogether. I think some people are a bit squeamish about grassing on people (even if it's for a good cause)...However, I'm sure many people would strengthen their resolve if they actually thought something would come of it. Unfortunately, shortly after the site 'authorized' us to start whistleblowing, the test cases that ensued proved ineffectual and pointless (judging by the feedback shared here).

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 14:10
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
A few comments before I'm off to bed Sep 13, 2012

Balasubramaniam L. wrote:
Lisa Simpson, MCIL wrote:
...if I request a woman doctor and get a cross-dressing male doctor, some may argue that’s fine...

Suppose you had a rare disease (read a rare specialty requirement) and there are no female doctors treating that disease...

I add my voice to those of others saying that I think you had misinterpreted Lisa's intention.

Her analogy showed (a) a female doctor, (b) a male doctor in a dress, (c) an invalid argument that since a female doctor has a dress, anything in a dress would comply with the request for a female doctor.

Her analogy relates to (a) a native speaker, (b) non-native speaker who is fluent, (c) the invalid argument that since native speakers are fluent, anything that is fluent would comply with the request for a native speaker.

Balasubramaniam L. wrote:
If I understand you correctly, what you are arguing is, given a native translator and a non-native translator of comparable proficiency, preference should be given to the native translator. ... This is highly untenable, and smacks of racism, if I may say so.

I don't think that that is what Lisa is saying (correct me if I'm wrong, Lisa). I think Lisa means not that the native should be given preference over the non-native simply because the native is native, but that a native should be given preference over a non-native if the client prefers a native. Lisa meant that what the client wants is what the client should get.

Also, I understand perfectly why you believe that this is racist, but remember: an accusation of racism is such an emotional issue that accusing anyone of racism is generally counter-productive in any debate (as you can see from the fall-out).

Charlie Bavington wrote:
Phil Hand wrote:
People put down native whatever because they want to bid on certain jobs. They may also persuade themselves that they're "proficient", but it's the economic imperative that comes first. Says me.

Agreed. They're using the field for purposes other than what the label itself indicates, because of an inference of what the field is used for and how they can work it to their advantage. That is the issue to be addressed. Says me.

For the record, I have my doubts about how common this phenomenon is. When a person joins ProZ.com and fills in his profile, he is still unaware of the relative value of the various items in the profile, except to the extend that the profile updater informs him of their value. This means that a first-time joiner is likely to fill in the fields objectively and factually. It is only when the user realises the value of "native language" in searches and jobs and KudoZ that any decision to choose a different or another native language acquires a motive. There is no indication on the profile updater or first-time profile entry help to indicate that native language is a very, very important option for getting jobs. For this reason I would be surprised if many ProZians use the field something else than what the name of the field says.

Phil Hand wrote:
There comes a point in every man's life when he's talking about lesbian doctors and nurses on the internet, and then suddenly realises - oh, feck, wrong website! That moment has surely come for you.

I find it a little sad that my analogy is derided with much more fervour than Lisa's analogy, even though both are just that -- simple analogies, with no hidden meanings.

Bernhard Sulzer wrote:
BTW, Henry's profile still shows Chinese as his "reasonably certain to be accurate" native language.

I suspect that is just a private humour. He is the big boss, so he makes a little joke. I don't think he's bidding on Chinese jobs.

Bernhard Sulzer wrote:
The thing I have a problem with is the "degrees of nativeness". If I want to go there at all, I would...

The "degrees of nativeness" that I referred to was a specific proposal that I made, and I named it "degrees of nativeness" for lack of anything better, but that label turned out to be an unfortunate misnomer for what eventually came out of the discussion. So when I refer to my "degrees of nativeness" suggestion here, I don't mean those three words literally -- I simply mean the proposal and its eventual outcome. I encourage you to read the first post of that thread.

I no longer favour my original proposal, but I do think that the categories (or "degrees") that I proposed are a very good set of reasons why people think that they are native speakers, and it is that set of reasons that I favour in my proposal that translators be forced to select reasons why they believe they are native.

rjlChile wrote:
I think you spend too much time talking to Bala - his ability to extrapolate when drawing conclusions seems to be contagious!

We are all guilty of skipping over the posts of some people here, and I confess that I read very little of Balasubramaniam's posts and very little of Bernhard's posts, and I mean no offence, but I often struggle with their logic. But when I spot something worth commenting on, I do zoom in it. So don't take the fact that I had commented on one of Balasubramaniam's posts favourably as an indication that I'm in general agreement with him or that I spend an awful lot of time analysing his posts.

rjlChile wrote:
Why does the mere fact that there are few true native English speakers in Africa imply anything at all about the number of folk with no native language at all? Does the fact that you, Samuel, are from an African country, and that you are not a native English speaker, mean that you have no native language? Of course not!

Your definition for native language is very strict, which means that anyone who does not comply with all of it for English and does not comply to all of it for any other language would logically have no native language. I'm not for or against such a belief, but I acknowledge that that is the logical consequence of your strictness.

The situation in Africa (and India) has been discussed before, with regard to growing up and living in a situation where many languages are spoken (not just one main one). For what it's worth, there are 3.5 million native speakers of English in South Africa alone. Many of them speak no other language. Many of them have lived in South Africa for many generations (and their ancestors spoke English), and many of them have no contact at all with England.

Phil Hand wrote:
Samuel, didn't my wording already say what the problem was? Certain members misrepresenting their native language? Do you think we need to say more?

Yes, I think we should. Otherwise the petition would be too short. Or were you joking?

Samuel

XXXphxxx (X)
XXXphxxx (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In the spirit of democracy Sep 13, 2012

I share with you once again a post that didn’t make it. I know that a few of you have seen it already. It has been edited (by me) in parts to comply with site rules and therefore to ensure we all get to read it. There are also suggestions towards the end of the post on how we move forward from here, but I have not included those - perhaps they can be dealt with in a separate post. I am well aware, from the HUGE number of emails I have received since the start of this thread, that there many pe... See more
I share with you once again a post that didn’t make it. I know that a few of you have seen it already. It has been edited (by me) in parts to comply with site rules and therefore to ensure we all get to read it. There are also suggestions towards the end of the post on how we move forward from here, but I have not included those - perhaps they can be dealt with in a separate post. I am well aware, from the HUGE number of emails I have received since the start of this thread, that there many people reading this it who have not contributed or are unable to contribute, both translators and outsourcers, this is another attempt to redress the balance:

Robin wrote:

…let me stress that my repeated references to English are just by way of example. My views would be exactly the same had I chosen to refer to Spanish or French, both of which are very familiar to me as both source and target languages.
1. The straightforward answer to OP’s question a hundred and thirty or so pages ago is: “Yes”. Indeed, absolutely and unequivocally: “YES!” That, surely, goes without saying. For crying out loud, who, on a public website offering services to a professional community, could possibly suggest that lying and cheating are ‘OK’? Statements designed to trick consumers, or pretending that falsehood is just a ‘marketing strategy’, are in my book straightforward dishonest dealing. If I were a dissatisfied client of any such ‘fibber’ and the circumstances were such as to allow access to the English courts, I would have not the slightest hesitation in instigating proceedings under the Consumer Protection Act (1987). In the same vein I suggest that a ‘colleague’ […] (who shall be nameless, of course) watches his backside, least he fall foul of Law 19.955 (1997) of the Republic of [x]. In any event, let him be assured that he’ll get no work from me or my company, even if he drops his claim to be a native English speaker. His reputation is irremediably tarnished... Likewise the other posters who have proudly declared themselves ‘liars’ in this thread; and those who, without going nearly as far in proclaiming their sins, have nonetheless drawn attention to the hiatus ‘twixt their claims and their real writing skills in their self-assumed ‘native’ language. There's no need to name names – you know who you are. Indeed, we all know!
2. (Warning to non-natives: this item contains complex sentence structures which I can’t be bothered to simply for your benefit; if you can’t cope, please feel free to skip to item 3.) I venture to suggest that no-one whose cultural, linguistic, social, family, ethnic and educational upbringing has been conducted entirely or principally in accordance with the customs, traditions and/or obligations of a country, nation or community which, itself, does not have English as its (or ‘a’, in deference to truly multilingual countries such as Switzerland, Belgium, Wales, etc.) native language (note: ‘native’, not ‘official’), can justify any claim to have English as his/her native language, regardless of that person’s level of proficiency in English. For example: no one born, bred, educated and brought up in the African continent (except, at a pinch, Liberia - any takers?), or in the Indian sub-continent, unless of native-English-language parentage (term defined and applied recursively) and brought up in the family wardrobe (US: closet) or in other circumstances in which the family has gone to extreme lengths to provide a specific native-language development framework for their offspring specifically for the purpose of generating and conserving English nativeness (as was the case of Lisa, it seems), can possibly have English as his/her native language, simply because English is not the/a native language of that country. Case closed, as far as I’m concerned.
3. I reject, in the strongest possible terms tolerated by site moderators, the absolutely preposterous idea put forward by several posters in this thread to the effect that one can “lose one’s native language”.... many pages back (in a post referring to some obscure linguistic research done by academics in the US), suggested precisely that.... Others (mostly obvious non-natives if I recall correctly) later supported the idea that anyone who leaves their ‘native’ environment automatically loses their native language after an indeterminate number of years. Knowing that Samuel has recently moved from his native South Africa to The Netherlands, I wonder how he will feel if Proz – or a band of self-proclaimed ‘false’ native speakers of Afrikaans – decides one day to deprive him of his birthright as a native speaker of his native language, effectively barring him arbitrarily from access to jobs into that language. Considering my own curriculum, […], are you (anyone who supports this idea, not just Samuel) really suggesting that when I quit the UK, age 25, to take up employment as an in-house translator in continental Europe 35+ years ago, I automatically disqualified myself for the position I had won on the very basis of my being (then, as now) a native English speaker? It’s utterly ludicrous! And today, seeing as I’ve never returned to the UK in the intervening 35+ years, and I no longer speak English on a day-to-day basis, where does that leave me?
Just in case some trigger-happy non-native hasn’t spotted the rhetoric (see item 5 below), I’ll tell you where that leaves me: my native language is STILL, whether you like it or not, English.
Ah! – before anyone starts labelling me as a ‘special case’, just think for a moment about the huge number of translators working for the EU, the UN and hundreds of other international organizations and their agencies who are in just that same position.
Long story short: To those who may be tempted to suggest I might no longer be a native English speaker, I tender this warning: Do not, repeat: NOT, meddle with my personal heritage!
4. Following on from that argument along the lines of ‘a person can lose their native language’, it has been implied that any verification process ought also to detect any such loss of nativeness, since otherwise the system would be discriminatory. The title of my post suggests, and I reaffirm here, that a native can easily recognise another native of his/her own native language. But how do the non-natives propose that they, or Proz (or anyone else, for that matter) might go about establishing that a native has ‘lost’ his/her native language? I venture to suggest that it cannot be done. First, because it is impossible to lose one’s native language (at least, if you do lose it, then truthful self-reporting on Proz will be the very least of your psychiatric worries); second, because, whilst there are criteria (albeit diverse criteria) serving to determine nativeness, there are none for determining loss of nativeness (which, before anyone raises a finger to object, is not the same as ‘non-nativeness’). True native-speakers will always have the upper hand in this matter, even if, as someone already suggested, a good non-native speaker can also spot a bad one. Indeed, much has been made of the errors in the writing of some posters here who claim (or not, as the case may be) to be native English speakers. As a native English speaker myself, I have a very clear idea as to ‘who’s what’ in this thread. In the vernacular of my birthplace: when it comes to being a native English speaker: you is – or you isn’t. For the record, I have positively identified four individuals at risk of being reported to Proz staff for violation of the site rule about misrepresentation if, despite all odds, I decide to stick around.
5. Whilst writing skills are of evident importance to translation, ‘native language’ per se is more concerned with the spoken word. It’s not surprising, then, that this thread has focused on those two skills. But let’s not forget that there are three ‘Rs’: readin’, ‘ritin’, and (oops! ‘rithmetic – way OT here!). No matter! - let’s not forget reading. For those using a foreign language it is often said that of reading, writing and speaking the easiest is reading. That’s widely held to be due to the fact that one can read non-linearly to test one’s interpretation of the text and glean meaning through a process of successive approximation (for ‘meaning’ read ‘gut-felt understanding’ if you’re a true native speaker; ‘informed understanding’ if you’re a skilled non-native, ‘pure guesswork’ if you’re a non-speaker pretending to be a native). Meanwhile, non-linear writing is generally frowned upon (unless your surname happens to be García Márquez or Joyce) and non-linear speaking is, well, intrinsically anti-communicative among common mortals although it speaks volumes to men in white coats. With that in mind I find it, err… let’s say ‘curious’, that on so many occasions in this long thread, people claiming to be native English speakers, or to have ‘native-equivalent’ or ‘near-native’ proficiency in English, have so obviously been unable to read and correctly interpret straightforward ideas expressed in plain everyday English by accredited native English speakers who, in deference to their non-native English readers, have often gone out of their way to communicate clearly, efficiently and effectively – albeit, on occasions, colloquially.
Time and again, our non-native friends have failed to spot the English native’s use of irony or innuendo; humorous quips have been taken as straight-laced fact; straight-laced fact has been sensed as insult and bullying; easy-going forum-friendly discourse has been contested with a florid formality of the kind not seen in everyday native English since the time of the Raj; rhetoric has been met with unnecessary responses; and can it really be that I am the only reader here to have spotted that classic of English idiom, hyperbole, in play?
Flagrant lack of empathy with the language as a reader is, in my book, a far surer sign of non-nativeness than any exercise in essay writing, chat session, phone call, multi-choice Q&A or what-have-you. If, as seems to be the case, a sub-purpose of this thread is to find a way to distinguish between true and false natives (of any language), I suggest that the first test – even before organizing an oral or written exchange with an accredited native speaker – could simply involve having the candidate read a short but well-constructed text in that language and invite him/her to correctly identify its register, meaning and significance in context. When I were a lad it was called ‘comprehension testing’; there’s probably some more highfaluting expression in use now but whatever it’s called, it’s a valuable and simple tool for separating wheat from chaff. By my reckoning, on the strength of what’s been written here, at least half the contributors to this thread have already failed that test!
6. I am frankly appalled to see how the ‘native-language-doesn’t matter’ brigade have contrived not merely to undermine the OP’s original purpose but actually to promote the idea that lying and cheating is ‘OK’ even to the point of persuading some ‘it’s not OK’ partisans to change or at least weaken their stance. In so doing, they have turned this entire thread into a damp squib that will do nothing whatsoever to encourage Proz management to tidy up their act. If 130 or so pages of keen debate (and not a little antagonism) can come up at the end of the day with nothing better than “Proz should simply make it clear to outsourcers that nothing is verified”, then heaven help Proz users and their clients!
7. Someone, many pages back, wrote that he was ‘flabbergasted’ to see that anyone who isn’t a site member/user could possibly be monitoring this tread. “Have they nothing better to do?” he asked. Someone else – a gentleman from the Indian sub-continent if my memory serves me – suggested that from the standpoint of Proz’s business objectives the nativity (sic) issue is irrelevant because the only folk who might quit the site are non-paying members anyway. Apart from the fact that those non-payers generate income (in the form of advertising revenue), and apart from the fact that some of those non-payers are potential payers at some future point in time, there is also an amorphous and unquantified body of professionals like myself who are observing Proz policies and practice from the outside, with a view to maybe (re)joining the ranks or, perhaps, using the site to find translators meeting this or that set of criteria. I don’t represent anyone other than myself and my new business. I suggest, however, that we outsiders will be increasingly more inclined to avoid Proz if the matter raised in this thread is not dealt with satisfactorily; that is, by setting up a properly functioning system to verify native languages to such an extent as is necessary to make the jobs board ‘fit for purpose’. I note also that at least two contributors to this thread have suggested that they may abandon ship if the issue raised in this thread is not resolved satisfactorily.

Edit to fix a broken quote.
Edited again. Square brackets don't work to indicate editing so I've had to delete them here and there. Sorry.

[Edited at 2012-09-13 20:44 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-09-13 20:46 GMT]
Collapse

Bernhard Sulzer
Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:10
English to German
+ ...
logical conclusion Sep 13, 2012

Samuel Murray wrote:

We are all guilty of skipping over the posts of some people here, and I confess that I read very little of Balasubramaniam's posts and very little of Bernhard's posts, and I mean no offence, but I often struggle with their logic. But when I spot something worth commenting on, I do zoom in it. So don't take the fact that I had commented on one of Balasubramaniam's posts favourably as an indication that I'm in general agreement with him or that I spend an awful lot of time analysing his posts.
Samuel

Well, I guess, none taken.

B

XXXphxxx (X)
XXXphxxx (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Worth repeating Sep 13, 2012

Charlie Bavington wrote:

True, and proz has been running away from it for years, and look where it has got us. The world's biggest translators' website, but also with the crappiest reputation. Well done, all you quality rejectors!

Like.

traductorchile
traductorchile  Identity Verified
Chile
English to Spanish
+ ...
Learning a language: "an instinctive tendency to acquire an art" (Darwin) Sep 13, 2012

Samuel Murray wrote:
If you believe that your native language is your identity, i.e. one of the things that define you as a person or as a member of your culture or social group, then that is quite all right, and you have every right to hold such a belief, but don't try to back up that belief with flaky arguments that try to place the skill of non-native translators below the skill of the average native non-translator. If the value of the "native language" label is that of prestige for you, then that is okay, but don't try to make it sound like the value is really about quality (in a roundabout way), because it isn't.

Why is it important that translators don't lie about their native language? Is it because lying about it reduces quality and increases risk of poor quality for clients? Or is it because those damned liars have no right to erode the fabric of our proud identity by their pernicious claims to be "one of us"?

Samuel

When I read that of the "native mistakes" and "non-native mistakes", as if they were some sort of endemic illness. I felt someone was tickling me.

Thanks for giving all this babble some rationalism.

Bernhard Sulzer
United States
English to German
+ ...
impossible for a translator Sep 13, 2012

[quote]Lisa Simpson, MCIL wrote:

I share with you once again a post that didn’t make it. ...

Robin wrote:

3. I reject, in the strongest possible terms tolerated by site moderators, the absolutely preposterous idea put forward by several posters in this thread to the effect that one can “lose one’s native language”.... many pages back (in a post referring to some obscure linguistic research done by academics in the US), suggested precisely that.... Others (mostly obvious non-natives if I recall correctly) later supported the idea that anyone who leaves their ‘native’ environment automatically loses their native language after an indeterminate number of years.

I would say it certainly is very difficult to lose one's native language, especially if you work as a translator using it. Impossible? Maybe it is. If you don't use it, you might be lost for words but the wiring in your head is still there.
So, I should revise my earlier statement and say that I don't have proof that one can lose one's native language.
I will say that I believe it's impossible for a translator who works "with" that language no matter where he/she lives.
But what is clear (to me) is that you cannot "acquire" your native language as an adult.

B

rjlChile (X)
rjlChile (X)
Local time: 09:10
Right! Sep 14, 2012

Bernhard Sulzer wrote:

But what is clear (to me) is that you cannot "acquire" your native language as an adult.

B

Absolutely agree.

Robin / rjlChile / xxxMediaMatrix

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:10
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
It is some kind of disease Sep 14, 2012

traductorchile wrote:
When I read that of the "native mistakes" and "non-native mistakes", as if they were some sort of endemic illness. I felt someone was tickling me.

Thanks for giving all this babble some rationalism.

From time to time, people show me translations that they say that should be correct, but there is something in them that makes them feel uneasy when reading the text. The spellchecker doesn't find anything, and nobody seems able to point what it has that is so wrong.

The above paragraph is my best attempt to mimic the effect: It's actually Portuguese written with English words. That's the worst sin a non-native can commit in translation. IMHO that's the major reason why truly native translators want so desperately to have people like me ousted from their cohort on Proz.

It's risky and, worst of all, when a translator who really masters their L2 has to translate something they don't understand squat about, it's the safest - and often only - option. I admit to having done it in my few attempts to translate medical material, after intense client pleading, and just before I gave up on it definitely.

The key to being taken for a native speaker of a language - when one technically isn't - is being able to THINK in that language. Now, If I don't understand squat from that medical text, I can't think about it, and all that's left for me is to translate the words, not the ideas. This should prove my point here.

One possible front in searching for a definition of 'native speaker' could be to consider a language in which an individual is able to THINK for hours, or days in a row, as needed or required.

Bernhard Sulzer
United States
English to German
+ ...
different opinion Sep 14, 2012

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:
It's actually Portuguese written with English words. That's the worst sin a non-native can commit in translation. IMHO that's the major reason why truly native translators want so desperately to have people like me ousted from their cohort on Proz.

Can you blame them if you look at writing that is often atrocious? That's what started this thread. I'm not referring to yours.

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:
The key to being taken for a native speaker of a language - when one technically isn't - is being able to THINK in that language. Now, If I don't understand squat from that medical text, I can't think about it, and all that's left for me is to translate the words, not the ideas. This should prove my point here.

One possible front in searching for a definition of 'native speaker' could be to consider a language in which an individual is able to THINK for hours, or days in a row, as needed or required.

My definition of native speaker/native language is all about acquiring it during childhood. I would disagree that you can call yourself a native speaker when you can THINK in that language - I can think in English as well as in German, as long as I want, and about quite complicated things.

You seem to be implying that the way you write (or is it grammatical accuracy, really) reveals the way you think and if it looks like the writing of a native speaker, you can call yourself a native speaker.

Maybe you are one of the few who have mastered a second language to a degree that makes you indistinguishable from a native speaker (even a native language speaker AND translator). I just have a hard time believing that.

For example, when you say "If I don't understand squat from that medical text", I wouldn't think that a native English speaker wrote that. But ask a real native speaker. And I don't mean to offend you. Your command of English is very good. I believe even native speakers will say that.

I'm not trying to give you a hard time but I suggest we must be able to exclude all those from the "club" who argue that their command of the language is "good enough" to be considered native when it's clearly not.

I for example have no problem with English as my second, non-native language. I don't need that native label. And I don't want it. And you know, in essence, I know I don't deserve it. But many people whose command of English is clearly "very non-native" claim to be native English speakers. Now that's just wrong.

B

[Edited at 2012-09-14 02:27 GMT]

Andy Watkinson
Andy Watkinson  Identity Verified
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
Actually, no... Sep 14, 2012

Samuel Murray wrote:
(...) flaky arguments that try to place the skill of non-native translators below the skill of the average native non-translator.
Samuel

Talk about "flaky arguments".

You talk vaguely about skill.

The "skill" to do what, exactly, Samuel?

You don't say. You must define your terms. 101.

Obviously not the skill to translate, for anyone equipped with half a neurone will agree that a non-native TRANSLATOR will fare rather better than a native NON-TRANSLATOR (sic) when it comes to translating.

So, the skill to do what, then?

Write convincingly in language X, obviously, and without making non-native errors, which after 17 years in language teaching are not, I assure you, a figment of our collective imagination.

Can I write convincing Spanish?

I think so.

I've studied nothing else for the last 45 years.
I sat university level Spanish exams while still at school. (Special ("S") levels for those with a long memory).
I earned a degree in Hispanic Studies and have lived in my TL country for 34 years. Needless to say I think, dream, do mental arithmetic and curse in Spanish.
I have taught Spanish lit. to Spanish students at pre-university level.
I was the official translator into Spanish for an international LSP for many years.

According to some of the more deluded amongst us here, I would both:
A. Qualify as a native Spanish translator
B. Have "lost" my native language.

Neither is true.

(Can I change my native language to Scouse by any chance?)

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Losing native language, vs losing native ability Sep 14, 2012

Bernhard Sulzer wrote:
Robin wrote:
I reject ... the absolutely preposterous idea put forward by several posters in this thread to the effect that one can “lose one’s native language”....

I would say it certainly is very difficult to lose one's native language, especially if you work as a translator using it.

Your comment made me think about my first reply to Robin about this issue.

I came to the preliminary conclusion that what I stand to lose here in my second country is perhaps not my native language per se, but the ability to use my native language in a way that raises no red flags with in-country native speakers who would judge me on no other information but my writing.

I think when translators judge each other's writing for nativeness, they may use something other than non-native errors to do so. In the cases I can think of, what triggered the thought that the translator had lost his native language ability was not the presence of non-native errors, but the presence of language-interference errors. One would/could expect that a translator would make no such errors, and if he does, he is not behaving in what is commonly assumed how a skilled native would never behave.

It can be easy to confuse non-native errors with language-interference errors, and I wonder how many judgers of other natives make this mistake. If nativeness verification comes to ProZ.com, this item should be in the judging guidelines.

This brings me to the value of this discovery:

* When I ask a KudoZ question in Afrikaans, do I want a user who will make no non-native errors, or one who will make no language-interference errors?
* In other words, do I want one that is a native speaker, or one that can use the language as one would expect an in-country native speaker would do?
* In otheir words, do I want one that makes no errors that learners of Afrikaans typically make, or one that makes no errors that out-of-country speakers typically make?

The answer in all three cases is: the latter. It isn't very useful if the answerer is "native" but his answer isn't.

Samuel

[Edited at 2012-09-14 06:19 GMT]

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 20:10
Chinese to English
KISS Sep 14, 2012

Samuel Murray wrote:

It can be easy to confuse non-native errors with language-interference errors, and I wonder how many judgers of other natives make this mistake. If nativeness verification comes to ProZ.com, this item should be in the judging guidelines.

Yep, we had some examples earlier in the thread of people jumping all over "mistakes" which actually weren't mistakes. If you prime people to look for errors or non-native telltales, they'll find them whether they're there or not. That's why a verification program would have to be exceedingly carefully designed. I would prefer to have it blind and the grader not told what they're doing - just treating it like a proofreading exercise. Otherwise the potential for picking at non-existent nits is great.

It isn't very useful if the answerer is "native" but his answer isn't.

I still say this goes beyond the scope of what we can and should do. Native is native; clients can choose to use it or not. If we try to change what it means, then we get ourselves stuck in two messes: 1) a conceptual mess (if native doesn't mean native any more, then what does it mean; and 2) a practical mess (if native now means something to do with quality, then we have to apply a quality standard/test, and Proz is absolutely not set up to do that).

As for the petition - I wasn't joking. I really write (and think!) like that - KISS. The problem is people misrepresenting their native languages, I really don't have anything more to say on the matter. If you think that there is more detail to add, then please go ahead.

Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:10
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
By way of illustration Sep 14, 2012

traductorchile wrote:

When I read that of the "native mistakes" and "non-native mistakes", ...

Cuando leí eso de los errores nativos y los errores no nativos ...

[Edited at 2012-09-14 08:38 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Should “native language” claims be verified?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »