Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183] >
Should “native language” claims be verified?
Thread poster: XXXphxxx (X)
Bernhard Sulzer
Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:09
English to German
+ ...
native "speaker of German" Sep 9, 2012

Nicole Schnell wrote:

Bernhard Sulzer wrote:

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

I assume you are native from Germany. How 'native' would you consider a 'truly native' speaker of German from Austria or Switzerland?

The Proz label only says 'native speaker of X'. No variants implied.

I was born and grew up in Austria.
To answer your question: I would consider them "native", just that.
If you want to add subcategories, that's fine. This can be verified by peers.

But any subcategories must not include non-native speakers.

B

I, as a native German speaker refuse to do high-end translation into Austrian or Swiss German. I hire natives or hire native editors from Austria or Switzerland respectively. I can NOT do it by myself. Just as a Brit can not deliver proper American English and vice versa.

... consider them native German speakers as distinguished from any non-native German speaker. You're not going to give the job to a French native speaker if you want a German native speaker.

But I wouldn't say that lots of jobs for Germany couldn't be done by "Austrians" (who are professional translators) and vice versa.

B

[Edited at 2012-09-09 00:44 GMT]

Ambrose Li
Ambrose Li  Identity Verified
Canada
English
+ ...
so true Sep 9, 2012

I can't mention names here, however a short visit to the translators application page on an expressive number of outsourcers' web sites will show that they won't accept anyone working into any language other than their native one.

This is so true. And it does affect translation quality—quite negatively in fact, which is probably not what they intended to do.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:09
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
I can NOT declare myself a native speaker of Swiss or Austrian German Sep 9, 2012

Bernhard Sulzer wrote:

... consider them native German speakers as distinguished from any non-native German speaker. You're not going to give the job to a French native speaker if you want a German native speaker.

But I wouldn't say that lots of jobs for Germany couldn't be done by "Austrians" (who are professional translators) and vice versa.

B

You edited your original post.

However, if you want do consider all kinds of German in different countries just "German", then you also have to eliminate all different variants of English and call AE, BE, Australian English, New Zealand English, Indian English and whatnot just "English", even if they don't understand each other.

Bernhard Sulzer
United States
English to German
+ ...
Do you really believe that? Sep 9, 2012

Ambrose Li wrote:

I can't mention names here, however a short visit to the translators application page on an expressive number of outsourcers' web sites will show that they won't accept anyone working into any language other than their native one.

This is so true. And it does affect translation quality—quite negatively in fact, which is probably not what they intended to do.

I strongly disagree. I believe the request for native speakers is well founded.

You really think having a true native Chinese speaker with the appropriate experience will negatively affect the quality of his/her translation into Chinese?

We are criticizing folks who claim a native language as their own when it's not.
What else they're lying about is anyone's guess.

If you think that you as a non-native of language X are able to compete with a true native X speaker translator with experience in the same field, then do it. Just don't say you're a native speaker because you're not.

I argue that many such non-natives will fall absolutely short of the desired goal.
But especially those non-natives who pretend to be natives.

Is it really your opinion that native speakers who are experienced translators will deliver poorer results than non-native translators?
I'm talking about the honest type.

B

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 21:09
Chinese to English
Return of the black and white squad Sep 9, 2012

Nicole Schnell wrote:

However, if you want do consider all kinds of German in different countries just "German", then you also have to eliminate all different variants of English and call AE, BE, Australian English, New Zealand English, Indian English and whatnot just "English", even if they don't understand each other.

Nicole, same comment to you as to Jose - this is not a black and white issue. Language variant is not the most important factor. Nor is it irrelevant. It's one factor among many others.

I deliver in "American English" quite often. I know as well as you that I can't write real American English (I find the subtle differences fascinating, but I've never taken the time to learn how to reproduce them). But everything I write can be understood 100% by Americans. Apply US spelling rules and US terminology, and my British sentences are acceptable in the US. Particularly for journal articles and business documents with an international readership, this "patch" works.

Now, this wouldn't work for certain other types of text, and I don't apply for jobs where the outsourcer specifies American English.

I don't know about German, but I'm guessing that it works in a similar way. You wouldn't want an Austrian writing a marketing blurb for a Berlin restaurant, but a technical spec/contract with an Austrian feel isn't going to offend too many Germans?

On the schools thing - my proposal would not have any verification of schools. It's a nudge, to make people think about their past, to improve voluntary compliance, not to verify.

@traductorchile

You're still confusing facts with attacks. Your profile says that you're native in English and Spanish. From what you've written on here, I understand that in fact you're not a native English speaker. That means you're lying in your profile. You may not like the fact that I've used that word, but it's factual.

Of course, if I've misunderstood your background, then I apologise.

But stating the facts is not an attack. Get over yourself.

@Ambrose

OK, so this is a valid point, if true. Finally we get to a reasonable argument over this whole idea.

1) Do you have any evidence? -- and you know that "I once saw a bad translation by a native English speaker" is not sufficient evidence for what you're claiming. I'm talking about something which shows that real problems are being caused by this policy, when a better policy would easily solve them. (I'm asking in good faith - personal opinions, anecdotes, I'm interested to hear why you think this.)

2) Do you think that Proz allowing widespread misinformation on user profiles is a good response to this problem? Would some education of the agencies not be better?

Bernhard Sulzer
United States
English to German
+ ...
don't have to eliminate anyone Sep 9, 2012

Nicole Schnell wrote:

Bernhard Sulzer wrote:

B

You edited your original post.

I don't have to "eliminate" anyone and I don't consider German native speakers "just" German, I consider them "German native speakers" as in belonging to the native language German. They are all German native speakers from various countries, regions, cities, and villages.

I hold the same true for English native speakers. Believe me, they understand each other.

That has nothing to do with whom someone chooses to carry out a translation for let's say New Zealand. It depends on the purpose, type, complexity and regional relevance of the text. Same goes for German. You know all that, Nicole.

And I can talk with you and a person from Zürich in German, and we will all know that we're native speakers of German from different regions. "Non-native speakers/writers" of German we're not.

For the purpose of "native language", "English" as well as "German" are indeed considered native languages.

Yes, I edited my post, to clarify a bit better and not sound offensive. I had first written:

"... You're not going to give the job to a French native speaker. Do I really have to explain that?

But I wouldn't say that lots of jobs for Germany couldn't be done by "Austrians" and vice versa."

Will try not to edit this one.

B

Ambrose Li
Canada
English
+ ...
. Sep 9, 2012

Phil Hand wrote:

@Ambrose

OK, so this is a valid point, if true. Finally we get to a reasonable argument over this whole idea.

1) Do you have any evidence? -- and you know that "I once saw a bad translation by a native English speaker" is not sufficient evidence for what you're claiming. I'm talking about something which shows that real problems are being caused by this policy, when a better policy would easily solve them. (I'm asking in good faith - personal opinions, anecdotes, I'm interested to hear why you think this.)

2) Do you think that Proz allowing widespread misinformation on user profiles is a good response to this problem? Would some education of the agencies not be better?

1. I can’t speak for anyone else except myself. Under normal definitions of native I can only claim to be native in Chinese, but I know I translate into English much better than I can translate into Chinese, and that’s why I put EN>ZH second. I’m much weaker translating in that direction.

You could say this is why I have always been ambivalent about verification—not opposed to the idea, but not truly agreeing to the rationale.

2. No, I don’t think it’s a good idea. But I agree that agency education is probably warranted.

Ambrose Li
Canada
English
+ ...
. Sep 9, 2012

Bernhard Sulzer wrote:

Do you really believe that?
Ambrose Li wrote:

I strongly disagree. I believe the request for native speakers is well founded.

Yes, I do really believe that. Strike that. I don’t believe that per se; I know that to be true because that’s my own situation. I translate much worse when I translate into my own native language. (But then the situation with my native language is a bit complicated.)

But what I’m disagreeing with really isn’t the request for native speakers, per se, but the refusal to consider non-natives.

You really think having a true native Chinese speaker with the appropriate experience will negatively affect the quality of his/her translation into Chinese?

Is it really your opinion that native speakers who are experienced translators will deliver poorer results than non-native translators?

That’s not my argument, but since you brought it up, let me just say that the situation with Chinese is way more complicated than that with English. So I’d be tempted to say, given sufficient experience, yes, a truly competent L2 Chinese speaker can translate better than a random L1 Chinese speaker into Chinese, given it’s the right kind of Chinese, of course.

Bernhard Sulzer
United States
English to German
+ ...
non-native is not the same as non-native claiming to be native Sep 9, 2012

Ambrose Li wrote:

Yes, I do really believe that. Strike that. I don’t believe that per se; I know that to be true because that’s my own situation. I translate much worse when I translate into my own native language. (But then the situation with my native language is a bit complicated.)

I was referring to native Chinese speakers - my definition for native speaker was along the lines of having grown up and attended schools in a Chinese-speaking society and having continuously used Chinese throughout one's life.

Ambrose Li wrote:
But what I’m disagreeing with really isn’t the request for native speakers, per se, but the refusal to consider non-natives.

If you are referring to outsourcers, it would make sense to me why they most often request Chinese native speakers but if they're not available why wouldn't they consider non-natives? But a non-native shouldn't claim to be a native speaker.

Bernhard Sulzer wrote:

Ambrose Li wrote:
That’s not my argument, but since you brought it up, let me just say that the situation with Chinese is way more complicated than that with English. So I’d be tempted to say, given sufficient experience, yes, a truly competent L2 Chinese speaker can translate better than a random L1 Chinese speaker into Chinese, given it’s the right kind of Chinese, of course.

I wouldn't argue that. What I'm arguing is that a native Chinese translator with experience (= truly competent), not a random native speaker of Chinese, will probably do a better job than a non-native speaker, especially if that non-native speaker claims to be native (= is lying).

B

[Edited at 2012-09-09 02:35 GMT]

Ambrose Li
Canada
English
+ ...
being native in Chinese Sep 9, 2012

Bernhard Sulzer wrote:

I was referring to native Chinese speakers - my definition for native speaker was along the lines of having grown up and attended schools in a Chinese-speaking society and having continuously used Chinese throughout one's life.

[…]

I wouldn't argue that. What I'm arguing is that a native Chinese translator with experience (= truly competent), not a random native speaker of Chinese, will probably do a better job than a non-native speaker, especially if that non-native speaker claims to be native (= is lying).

The complication with Chinese is that, referring back to an earlier comment you wrote, it is entirely possible for native speakers from different regions to literally not understand each other.

If we’re talking about the written language (which is what we should be talking about since we’re talking about translation and not interpretation) things get much better, but these regional variations still cannot be disregarded.

So one specific combination which will make my claim true would be a competent translator native in one variety of Chinese translating into a foreign variety of Chinese (random = picking a competent native translator from a random geographic region and/or disregarding the translator’s native “dialect”, misunderstanding the difference between spoken speech, the written language, regional variations, and writing system differences, etc., things that agencies actually do if you take their job postings literally), versus a non-native translator that’s competent in the correct variety of Chinese. I wouldn’t say the non-native will be the better translator, but you just can’t say the native translator must always be the better translator. It is possible, though unlikely, for the non-native to deliver a better translation.

I won’t disagree about the lying part though.

In any case, I’m probably not making much sense here. I shall stop babbling.

[Edited at 2012-09-09 03:45 GMT]

Bernhard Sulzer
United States
English to German
+ ...
more than one Chinese language Sep 9, 2012

Ambrose Li wrote:

The complication with Chinese is that, referring back to an earlier comment you wrote, it is entirely possible for native speakers from different regions to literally not understand each other.

If we’re talking about the written language (which is what we should be talking about since we’re talking about translation and not interpretation) things get much better, but these regional variations still cannot be disregarded.

So one specific combination which will make my claim true would be a competent translator native in one variety of Chinese translating into a foreign variety of Chinese (random = picking a competent native translator from a random geographic region and/or disregarding the translator’s native “dialect”, misunderstanding the difference between spoken speech, the written language, regional variations, and writing system differences, etc., things that agencies actually do if you take their job postings literally), versus a non-native translator that’s competent in the correct variety of Chinese. I wouldn’t say the non-native will be the better translator, but you just can’t say the native translator must always be the better translator. The non-native delivering a better translation would then be a distinct possibility. Probably still unlikely, but not impossible.

I'm trying to understand what you're saying, Ambrose.

You're saying when people from different Chinese regions try to SPEAK to each other, they might not understand each other's speech at all. So, there is no common standard spoken Chinese language between them. I would then treat these spoken languages not as variantsof Chinese but as separate languages, similar to the difference between Dutch and German which belong to the "Germanic" language group but are separate languages.

You say when it concerns the WRITTEN word, the difference between regions isn't as bad - you said "things get much better, but these regional variations still cannot be disregarded." If they cannot be disregarded and are different enough to establish that there is no common standard that would be understood, then I would also break it up in different languages, not just variants. (I would never suggest that for English or German).

If you do that, you can apply again our concept of native language.

You could call yourself rightly a native speaker of Chinese Language A but not of Chinese Language B (or C or D whereby spoken languages could be languages onto themselves, important when it comes to interpreting).

So, the competent (= experienced) translator who is also a native speaker of let's say Chinese Language A might have a great advantage over the non-native speaker and translator of Chinese Language A in the same field of expertise and thus do a better job. But as always, when it comes to translating, one can't disregard the command in the second language (but that should be a given). But in general, I will always support the idea of native speakers translating into their native language.

I would not expect the native speaker of Chinese Language B to do a better job than the non-native but nevertheless excellent speaker and translator of/into Language A; the former couldn't do the job anyway if he/she can't even speak, read or write Language A. It would be like asking a Dutch speaker to do a translation into German.

But if someone claims to be native in Chinese Language A but really isn't, he/she is lying and there is therefore no guarantee for a good translation or anything else they're claiming.

If there is a demand for non-native translators of Chinese Language A to translate into Chinese Language A, it would still be important that these translators
a) don't pretend to be native speakers and
b) are indeed competent enough to do the job in a professional way if that is indeed the objective - which should always be the objective of professional translators.

As far as your situation is concerned, if you feel you speak/write Chinese Language A (as an example) at the same level as the other true native speakers of Chinese Language A, you should have no problem calling yourself a native speaker/writer of Chinese Language A.
If you feel you are not, then it wouldn't be right to call yourself one.

If you for example read Chinese Language A very well but rather translate into English and if there is a need for translators like that (and I can imagine there is because who can translate well from Chinese Language A into English) then do that. A non-native speaker (who doesn't call himself native speaker) of/into English from Chinese Language A is always more honorable and will be more successful than a native English speaker who claims to know (all of) Chinese.

I also understand how outsourcers could get it all wrong as far as "I just need a Chinese translator" is concerned. That is unfortunate and I can only hope it will change in the future.

As a workaround, a native speaker of any of these Chinese languages could call himself/herself a native Chinese speaker but before accepting the job should point out to the client what he/she can and cannot do or refuse the job because of the reasons we just discussed.

However, if one is clearly not or no longer a native speaker of a language, he/she should never claim it. I discussed the reasons for that before.

HTH

Bernhard

PS: English into German would then be like Chinese Language A into Chinese Language B or Dutch into German.

[Edited at 2012-09-09 06:09 GMT]

Ambrose Li
Canada
English
+ ...
Chinese continued Sep 9, 2012

Bernhard Sulzer wrote:

You're saying when people from different Chinese regions try to SPEAK to each other, they might not understand each other's speech at all. So, there is no common standard spoken Chinese language between them. I would then treat these spoken languages not as variantsof Chinese but as separate languages, similar to the difference between Dutch and German which belong to the "Germanic" language group but are separate languages.

You say when it concerns the WRITTEN word, the difference between regions isn't as bad - you said "things get much better, but these regional variations still cannot be disregarded." If they cannot be disregarded and are different enough to establish that there is no common standard that would be understood, then I would also break it up in different languages, not just variants. (I would never suggest that for English or German).

If you do that, you can apply again our concept of native language.

You could call yourself rightly a native speaker of Chinese Language A but not of Chinese Language B (or C or D whereby spoken languages could be languages onto themselves, important when it comes to interpreting).

First off, sorry for modifying my post.

Your understanding is quite correct; I’d say this is probably how a lot of (but not all) true native Chinese speakers would understand it.

But there is another complication: To simplify things a bit, let’s say there are just two Chinese languages, A and B. The spoken forms of A and B are not mutually intelligible. However, the standard written form of A is B. In other words, you could say that native speakers of A always write in a foreign language.

(Since the spoken and written forms of B are both B, native speakers of B are free to use colloquialisms, which can be unintelligible to native speakers of A. This is one reason why regional differences still can’t be disregarded.)

Now if an outsourcer comes along and asks for a “native speaker of B”, is it lying if a native speaker of A comes and say they are a native “speaker” of B? Technically speaking it is, but unless the outsourcer specifies the geographic region, the translator is in fact really a native “speaker” of a written form of B.

To exaggerate it a bit, to ask for a translation into an unspecified variant of Chinese is the same as asking for a translation into B. That means, technically, it is misleading for any native speaker of Chinese language other than variant B to claim to be a native speaker of Chinese, even though the claim is factually true.

(Of course, the reverse is also true: to ask for a translation into an unspecified variety of B is identical to asking for a translation into an unspecified form of “Chinese.” Technically speaking this is true, but in practice making such a claim would be construed as “misleading” or outright lying.)

So—short of massive outsourcer re-education—how do you define lying in languages like this?

Edited for typo.

[Edited at 2012-09-09 04:12 GMT]

Bernhard Sulzer
United States
English to German
+ ...
lying is always lying Sep 9, 2012

Ambrose Li wrote:

Your understanding is quite correct; I’d say this is probably how a lot of (but not all) true native Chinese speakers would understand it.

But there is another complication: To simplify things a bit, let’s say there are just two Chinese languages, A and B. The spoken forms of A and B are not mutually intelligible. However, the standard written form of A is B. In other words, you could say that native speakers of A always write in a foreign language.

(Since the spoken and written forms of B are both B, native speakers of B are free to use colloquialisms, which can be unintelligible to native speakers of A. This is one reason why regional differences still can’t be disregarded.)

Now if an outsourcer comes along and asks for a “native speaker of B”, is it lying if a native speaker of A comes and say they are a native “speaker” of B? Technically speaking it is, but unless the outsourcer specifies the geographic region, the translator is in fact really a native “speaker” of a written form of B.

To exaggerate it a bit, to ask for a translation into an unspecified variant of Chinese is the same as asking for a translation into B. That means, technically, it is misleading for any native speaker of Chinese language other than variant B to claim to be a native speaker of Chinese, even though the claim is factually true.

(Of course, the reverse is also true: to ask for a translation into an unspecified variety of B is identical to asking for a translation into an unspecified form of “Chinese.” Technically speaking this is true, but in practice making such a claim would be construed as “misleading” or outright lying.)

So—short of massive outsourcer re-education—how do you define lying in languages like this?

Edited for typo.

[Edited at 2012-09-09 04:12 GMT]

Well, as long as the PNS credential was verified by peers of the specific language (spoken or written), that would take care of the lying aspect. Granted, the credential would have to exactly state which Chinese languages it concerns.

Would you agree that if the spoken and written language of a specific region are so different that one could define them as two separate languages, their speakers could be considered as having two native languages.

The two languages of region A would be A1 (spoken language) and B (Variant 1).
The two languages of region B would be C (spoken language) and B (Variant 2).

Would you agree that B1 and B2 would be like US and UK English (very general comparison)? If that's not correct, I would then understand B1 and B2 to be two different languages.

Verification of "Chinese" would be carried out by native speakers, writers and readers of the respective languages.
All applicants could still be verified as native speakers/writers of Chinese (as a group of languages), but their languages would definitely need to be subcategorized and so certified/verified and declared.

The current situation where anyone can just say they're Chinese native speakers (even displaying the PNS, and that unverified) is unsatisfactory because the information is incomplete if the native speaker/writer and translator does not specify his/her Chinese languages. Not stating the separate native languages comes close to lying or at least gross misinformation.

Verification of "Chinese" would have to mean "verification" and "certification" of several different Chinese languages (spoken and written ones) by peers of these languages. The PNS credential would actually alert clients to the differences between the Chinese languages.

So I still hold that verification is a good thing, it would seem especially for Chinese (the Chinese language group).
In no way would I simply accept that Chinese speaking/writing translators can just claim "Chinese" or any "Chinese language" they choose as their native language and not be called liars if these languages are indeed not their native languages.

In any case, the Chinese speaker/writer would be lying to the outsourcer/client if they claim to be native (or even fluent for that matter) in a Chinese language that they know they cannot speak or write intelligibly. It wouldn't matter if the outsourcer/any client can't disprove it. They'd still be lying.

Verified and language-specific PNS credentials could be of great help, I believe.

B

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 21:09
Chinese to English
I think we can use the real names here! Sep 9, 2012

Mandarin and Cantonese are the most important example. They are mutually unintelligible.

Mandarin (which is a recent synthetic language - there is an argument to be made that there are no native speakers of Mandarin at all!) defines the written standard for Chinese.

You can write Cantonese, but most people don't. There's a bit of Cantonese writing in Hong Kong, but it very rarely happens in Guangdong.

There are a significant number of people in Guangdong/Ho
... See more
Mandarin and Cantonese are the most important example. They are mutually unintelligible.

Mandarin (which is a recent synthetic language - there is an argument to be made that there are no native speakers of Mandarin at all!) defines the written standard for Chinese.

You can write Cantonese, but most people don't. There's a bit of Cantonese writing in Hong Kong, but it very rarely happens in Guangdong.

There are a significant number of people in Guangdong/Hong Kong who grew up as natives in Cantonese (not speaking Mandarin), but writing "written Chinese" - i.e. the standard based on Mandarin. That's what's taught in the schools (as I understand it - Ambrose, do Hong Kong schools teach you to write Cantonese?).

This certainly complicates any attempt to use conversation as a verification of "Chinese" as a native language.
Collapse

Bernhard Sulzer
United States
English to German
+ ...
maybe some more clarification is needed Sep 9, 2012

Ambrose Li wrote:

I would say speakers of A have a second native language, B (variant 1).

Ambrose Li wrote:

I'm not quite clear on that.
Why would speakers of B not be free to use colloquialism? Germans and Austrians do that too, especially if it is needed.

Ambrose Li wrote:

There wouldn't be a problem if standard B (written form) is sufficient, and native speaker of spoken language A wouldn't be lying about being a native in written language B. It'd be preferable though to get a native from region B for readers of region B + B (with B being spoken and written - although aren't these forms nevertheless two different languages - I mean the spoken and the written form of B - as I treated them in my previous post - C + B)?

As far as the spoken languages are concerned, A would be lying if he/she says she is a native of spoken language B. (Are we talking about interpreting here?)

I would prefer to clearly state the specific languages I am native in, spoken and written ones. I wouldn't be lying about any of them.

B

[Edited at 2012-09-09 06:15 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Should “native language” claims be verified?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »