Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183] >
Should “native language” claims be verified?
Thread poster: XXXphxxx (X)
Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 00:47
Chinese to English
That's how I passed my driving test Sep 5, 2012

Ambrose Li wrote:

Everyone was asked to write an essay within a time limit. Everyone hated it (that is, including the native speakers). I kept failing until I decided to give up and said “I’ll just write whatever. I’ll fail this anyway.”

I don't think that's a language thing. I hate driving, took me ages to learn to drive, and when I did come to take my test, I immediately made a stupid mistake. Having made that mistake, convinced that I'd failed, I then drove really well for the rest of the test, and ultimately the instructor said that early error wasn't quite enough to fail me. Praise be!

But I'm pretty sure this is a general thing about exam psychology, nothing to do with being native or not.

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:47
German to English
+ ...
Already pointed out Sep 5, 2012

Balasubramaniam L. wrote:
I myself had been under the impression that every human being necessarily has one or the other language as his/her native language.

But this thread, particularly Ambrose Li’s posts, have enlightened me to the error of my belief. In this world of increasing migration, there are large numbers of people (of whom many would be translators) who technically do not have a native language confirming to any of the 10 definitions listed in my earlier post.
Yes, I have already pointed this out in my post in this thread on page 2 (21 June, title: "No native language?").
Oliver

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Amended my CV Sep 5, 2012

One very minor, but possibly interesting, consequence of this huge thread (over 1600 posts so far, but still not the longest ever) is that I have amended my CV to provide more evidence that my native language is English.

Previously, I simply stated that my native language (I called it Mother tongue) is English (U.K.). Now, I also state that I was born in England, spoke English at home and attended schools and universities in England.

Has anyone else made a similar chang
... See more
One very minor, but possibly interesting, consequence of this huge thread (over 1600 posts so far, but still not the longest ever) is that I have amended my CV to provide more evidence that my native language is English.

Previously, I simply stated that my native language (I called it Mother tongue) is English (U.K.). Now, I also state that I was born in England, spoke English at home and attended schools and universities in England.

Has anyone else made a similar change?

Oliver
Collapse

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
CV heavily implies it, anyway Sep 5, 2012

Oliver Walter wrote:

Mine always included a line for the "language pair" with English marked as "mother tongue", but in any case, it includes my place of birth and education details which imply nativeness (without actually saying so). But my CV could be viewed as somewhat old-fashioned in that respect. I understand that in some quarters, only the strictly relevant stuff gets included these days, e.g. for us, only matters germane to translation (which can enable people to obscure the truth about their background by omission). There again, perhaps, given this discussion, that old-fashioned stuff is relevant after all...

On the other hand, who the hell checks that stuff anyway? While I suspect most agencies I work for probably saw my CV at some point, none ever asked for proof (e.g. copy of degree certificate). You can put what you like. It's just another facet to the issue raised in this thread. The proof of the pudding is in the quality of written output (in the narrow sphere of translation).

Bernhard Sulzer
Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:47
English to German
+ ...
What is Proz.com thinking now? Sep 6, 2012

Hi Jared,

I was wondering if our discussion has further clarified some of the points that you were asking about/commenting on near the beginning of the thread. It would be great if you could weigh in here.
I hope, Writeaway and Jared, you don't mind I boldfaced some of your thoughts to relate to my current thoughts.

I'm doing this now because it seems there are now clear directions in this thread.

Jared wrote:

Hi writeaway,

writeaway wrote:
I don't think opening investigations will prove feasible in the long term. After all, apart from what we see on the profile page itself, suspicions that people haven't been truthful about their native language usually emerge from what their writing demonstrates in Kudoz questions, answers and in forum postings. They make mistakes that no native would make,/b>. Simple basic mistakes in grammar, syntax and/or vocabulary that stand out like a sore thumb because they look odd and/or amusing and draw attention.

I think it might be more complex than that. I am a native speaker of English, but I'm sure if you review my forum posts alone you will find some English for me to be embarrassed over. I know other native speakers of English who have much more difficulty stringing thoughts together in writing. Does that necessarily mean we're not native speakers of the language? How obvious or terrible does the mistake need to be? Is evaluation based solely on what I write in a forum? What is a potential client looking for in a native speaker of X, how are they defining it, what is expected? All things that probably need to be taken into account.

As writeaway points out, suspicions do emerge on the profile page itself, the shop window for outsourcers and other clients. Unless a native speaker "cleans" it up. That would be as dishonest as actually pretending to be a NS on that page.

I would say that these mistakes would appear obvious to any true native speaker. If you were to scan some of these pages, I am sure you will most likely be able to tell native English from non-native English because non-native mistakes are, as writeaway pointed out, basic mistakes that a true native speaker would NOT be able to make (at least not continuously - over a few sentences). In other words, these mistakes are typical for non-native speakers. There are infrequent but typical native-speaker mistakes.

You say about your own English that readers might find some English for you to be embarrassed about/over. Well, I dare you: write a six-line paragraph on anything in English and find someone declaring it's non-native. Not gonna happen. Unless a wannabe native is looking at them with his/her own non-native native command of English. (Can certainly be neglected)

Point here is: a true native speaker cannot appear as a non-native even if he/she wanted. And any other native peer will always take you for a native English speaker. As a matter of fact, you yourself will always be able to tell a native from a non-native English speaker (IMHO).

This is what many of us have been focusing on again lately - that it is not hard for native speakers to determine if somebody is a native speaker or a non-native speaker. That's an important point for a relatively easy verification procedure we suggest (that doesn't include birth certificates or diplomas).

It also means to me that we're not concentrating so much on how someone becomes/became a native speaker although many have defined it in a few words (grew up with language X, went to school in a X-speaking country during his/her formative years and has continued using X ..... ).

Some people have talked about deficiencies and some might hold that having been away from your NL country will result in such deficiencies.
Possible, but not very likely if you are indeed working with your NL as a translator.
I didn't suddenly become a non-native speaker of German.

In short: I, for example KNOW that I am a still a native speaker of German just as you know that you are a native English speaker, never mind any mistakes we might make occasionally.

And even if I am self-deluded, I claim German is my NL and I will gladly submit to a talk with NL peers at a powwow or write something (could also happen at a powwow) that then is evaluated by peers solely to determine my native language.

I say this because you asked:

"How obvious or terrible does the mistake need to be? Is evaluation based solely on what I write in a forum? What is a potential client looking for in a native speaker of X, how are they defining it, what is expected? All things that probably need to be taken into account."

What matters is that someone is a native speaker. The verification should in no way take into account any translation ability. (It would make that process something completely different and more complicated).

And it doesn't matter where you look for examples of native language competency. It could be in a translated text, it could be in an essay, in a conversation, in KudoZ, in the forum, wherever you use English/your NL, it will be obvious that you are a native speaker.

Note the difference between a "native speaker" and "excellent command of a second, non-native language". No matter how good someone is in a second language, even if they translate into it, they will simply not be able to write/ sound like a native speaker.
Even if they are really good, they will slip up. And again, for our purpose, it's only important "how" they write or speak, not "how well", even though the how well (or rather how bad) will figure prominently when non-natives speak or write. Natives will probably display excellent speaking and writing skills because they are translators. That will make it even easier for those NS who judge their peers. But they won't be able to reject a native speaker for lack of language sophistication.

Many clients know that "non-native" can mean "I am way worse than a native speaker."
Therein may lie the wish of many to suddenly become native speakers of a language (my strong suspicion anyway).

But let me be clear again: Outsourcers look for "good translators". Many clients will specify "native speaker" of the target language as the first requirement for their translator, it is a prerequisite for excellent results, not a guarantee by itself. Then they will take into account other criteria (experience, field of experience, etc.)

The PNS is a credential. I stated that an official stamp of approved native language should be verified and that unverified native languages should not stay unverified. A few others suggested that any second native language should be verified and not listed as unverified at all. Lately, I am convinced even a single native language should be verified, or in my case, "confirmed". I don't want to lose the PNS credential, unless I am judged a non-native speaker.

I tried to point out that verifying native language does not mean verifying translating ability. It is simply a check if someone has the same native language and a few NL peers will always be able to easily tell if that's the case.

Does this seem to be a convincing direction to you?

Jared wrote:
I agree that opening an investigation each time we see someone post something "non-native" is probably not the most productive path. I can imagine that the ability to show confirmation of a native language is a much more powerful tool.

Yes, after all these pages, I am convinced confirmation before a few native speaker peers is the way to go.

writeaway wrote:
Near-native would at least allow people to continue selling themselves as being as good as or (as we have read in these pages) even better than authentic native speakers, but it would help make things clearer to colleagues and (potential) customers.

I would not agree to a "near-native" category. There is nothing wrong with being an excellent non-native speaker of a second or third language.
But it's impossible to draw the line between what is near-native and what is almost near-native, less native, halfway native, .... there is no point to that (my opinion).
You're either a native speaker or you're not.

Jared wrote:
The ability to verify proficiency in a given language may be one way to approach this. Would you verify this separately from translation ability into/from that language?

Jared

We should ONLY verify native language competency, not translation ability into or from a language.

Your thoughts on this or any new input are greatly appreciated.

B

[Edited at 2012-09-06 14:09 GMT]

XXXphxxx (X)
XXXphxxx (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The need has never arisen Sep 6, 2012

Oliver Walter wrote:

Oliver

I don't post my c.v. on my profile for obvious reasons. However, it does clearly state that my whole education was at British schools (albeit mainly overseas) with O'levels, A'levels etc. My ProZ profile shows some of my verified tertiary education in the UK. If I struggled to string a coherent sentence together I might find a client questioning my native language, but it's never happened. However, as previously stated, most clients simply wouldn't be able to judge. The majority of project managers I deal with are non-native English speakers. Perhaps I should provide more detail, but on a c.v. does it not smack rather of protesting too much? The only time I've been refused work was during my long period of residence in France, when a German (or might have been Dutch, can't remember for sure) agency refused to assign work to translators living outside the country of their native language.

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 22:17
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
@BeaDeer’s links Sep 6, 2012

BeaDeer’s links are a mine of information that could be relevant to this discussion. In one of the references mentioned in the “Studies on Translation and Multilingualism”, I found this very interesting extract, which throws a lot of light on the phenomenon of translation from Chinese to English by non-English-native translators. It was presumably this that started our own mammoth thread:

Although the Chinese language did not achieve official language status under the Hong Kong Basic Law until 1990, Hong Kong was a de facto bilingual colony during the 154 years of British rule. Since the handover in July 1997, Chinese has been in much wider use in Hong Kong. According to the survey done by Li (1999), there are now more documents written in Chinese, both in government and commercial sectors. In particular, in recent years, there has been a surge of listing activities of Chinese enterprises in the Hong Kong Stock Exchange. As the listing documents are required to be provided in both Chinese and English, the demand for translation services, especially Chinese-English translation, has risen.

Therefore, although most translation students in Hong Kong receive more training in translation from English into Chinese, today translators in Hong Kong need to translate from Chinese into English, contrary to what they had to do when Hong Kong was under the British governance. They need to write better English than most of them had previously thought, thus making it necessary for them to change from English as a passive language to English as an active language.

This is to some extent against the conventional wisdom that professional translators should translate into their mother tongue or language of habitual use only. In this corpus of job adverts, 19 or 29% explicitly require the applicants to translate both ways, English into Chinese as well as Chinese into English. For example, one job advert stated that one of the job duties was to “translate and proofread financial, legal and commercial documents from Chinese and English and vice versa”. This echoes Campbell’s (1998) observation of the Australian case in which commercial interests call for translators working into the second language. In fact, translation in second language is not only “common in languages with restricted distribution” (Pokorn 2005:37) but also “in larger linguistic communities which are pushed into a peripheral position because of the global distribution of power and in major-language societies when communicating with ethnic minorities. Snell-Hornby (1997; cited in Kelly et al. 2003: 26) summarizes this succinctly, “[T]ranslation into English non-mother tongue is a fact of modern life”. A comprehensive literature of the pervasive phenomenon of translation into second language can be found in Pavlović’s (2007) unpublished PhD thesis.

This job requirement of translating in and out of English could also be found in government organizations of Hong Kong. For example, the Official Language Division of the Civil Service Bureau of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region and the Independent Commission Against Corruption stated that the prospective employees need to “translate into English and vice versa”.

Source: UNIVERSITAT ROVIRA I VIRGILI INFORMATION ECONOMICS, THE TRANSLATION PROFESSION AND TRANSLATOR CERTIFICATION Andy Lung Jan Chan ISBN:978-84-691-9867/DL:T-141-2009

It wouldn't be surprising if some of these Chinese-English translators after doing a few such translations felt confident enough, or became proficient enough, in English translation, and some of them found their way into proz.com too.

The use of the phrase "mother tongue or language of habitual use" is also quite interesting. It does not presuppose that the target language must the native language of the translator. It could also be the language of "his habitual use".

It would also be interesting if someone could get hold of the unpublished phD thesis of Pavlovic on the “pervasive phenomenon of translation into second language”.

[2012-09-06 10:05 GMT पर संपादन हुआ]

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
Nothing new here Sep 6, 2012

"A fact of modern life" is one thing.

Best practice is another.

Moreover, this is another distraction from the topic at hand (reminder: the thread isn't about translation into English by non-native speakers, it's about the misrepresentation of one's native language).

I wonder how many times that has been said now.....

XXXphxxx (X)
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Let me guess Sep 6, 2012

Ty Kendall wrote:

(reminder: the thread isn't about translation into English by non-native speakers, it's about the misrepresentation of one's native language).

I wonder how many times that has been said now.....

It would be a safe guess that it's been mentioned at least once on every page, so 113 times (min.)?

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 22:17
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Some more nuggets from the earlier source... Sep 6, 2012

Here is clear evidence that premier translator associations like the Institue of Linguists, UK, are slowly dumping the whole concept of native language and are taking a more practical approach to translation:

Professional associations in other professions are often delegated to enforce ethical professional conduct by formulating professional codes and rules of conduct describing the tasks and duties of their members. For example, the Architects Registration Board, UK (1999) has a Code of Conduct and Competence which contains 1,465 words with 10 standards and 33 notes. The Code of Professional Conduct of the IoL, UK (June 2001 Version) is of a comparable length of 1,562 words with 11 sections and 33 clauses.

More specifically, in the IoL Code there was one section concerning the “scope of work which Practitioners may undertake”, and it states that “Practitioners who act as translators shall work only into the language registered with the institute as their mother tongue or language of habitual use”. However, it is quite widely reported in many countries (for example, Poland) that there are “no qualified native speakers around and consequently reverse translation [has become] common practice” (TranslatorsCafé.com 2005). Another translator quite aptly points out that it “depends on the number of native speakers available and [the] level of complexity of the text” (ProZ 2007). In Hong Kong, for Chinese-English translation, as Caucasians make up a scant 0.5% of the total population of Hong Kong and because of cost considerations, native English speakers are seldom used. For a comprehensive survey of translation into second language, one can consult Pavlovic (2007).

In fact, IoL seemed to be aware of this when it issued its November 2007 Version of the Code of Professional Conduct. The above phrases are replaced by “Practitioners shall only accept work they believe they have the competence both linguistically and in terms of specialist knowledge or skill to carry out to the standard required by the client” and a detailed explanation is given as to what “competence” means:

The competence to carry out a particular assignment shall include: a sufficiently advanced and idiomatic command of the languages concerned, with awareness of dialects and other linguistic variations that may be relevant to a particular commission of work; the particular specialist skills required; and where appropriate, an adequate level of awareness of relevant cultural and political realities in relation to the country or countries concerned.

Phrases like “mother tongue” and “language of habitual use” are omitted in the new version of the professional code. This can be seen as a more flexible approach to the kinds of work that translators can take and more accurately reflect the actual situations in the translation marketplace.

Source: 196 UNIVERSITAT ROVIRA I VIRGILI INFORMATION ECONOMICS, THE TRANSLATION PROFESSION AND TRANSLATOR CERTIFICATION Andy Lung Jan Chan ISBN:978-84-691-9867/DL:T-141-2009

Internet link to the document: http://tdx.cat/bitstream/handle/10803/8772/Chan.pdf?sequence=1

So, should we move with the times or play Luddites?

Ty Kendall
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
@Balasubramaniam Sep 6, 2012

First of all, they aren't dumping it. And secondly, a rose by any other name...
That is one long convoluted description of "competence". It's really quite clear they are trying to say "native language" without actually saying "native language".

Given that they use the terms "mother tongue" AND "native language" over a year later
... See more
First of all, they aren't dumping it. And secondly, a rose by any other name...
That is one long convoluted description of "competence". It's really quite clear they are trying to say "native language" without actually saying "native language".

Given that they use the terms "mother tongue" AND "native language" over a year later in their small print for membership [Oct 08] ( http://www.iol.org.uk/membership/Notes/NotesandInstructionsOct08.pdf ) and elsewhere no doubt, I'd say they had a change of heart!

[Edited at 2012-09-06 13:43 GMT]
Collapse

XXXphxxx (X)
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Absolutely not Sep 6, 2012

Balasubramaniam L. wrote:

Here is clear evidence that premier translator associations like the Institue of Linguists, UK, are slowly dumping the whole concept of native language and are taking a more practical approach to translation

I refer you to my earlier post on the Institute of Linguists' approach to native language: http://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_suggestions/227485-should_“native_language”_claims_be_verified-page96.html#1994174

traductorchile
traductorchile  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 12:47
English to Spanish
+ ...
Title Sep 6, 2012

Bernhard Sulzer wrote:
This is what many of us have been focusing on again lately - that it is not hard for native speakers to determine if somebody is a native speaker or a non-native speaker.

How would you establish it objectively, not just using your intuition?
The use of modern slang? The style of writing? Which? Do all texts use slang?
The replacement of a metaphor by a literal translation? Wouldn’t this be a bad translation, nothing to do with being native or not?
A simple development of ideas or one that shows some level of education? Wouldn’t this leave out many legal “natives” that don’t have the right education?
Someone incapable of expressing correctly an idea in the target language or the target expression doesn’t seem natural? What elements would define “seems natural”? Can that be defined objectively so that it can be measured with a minimum of precision?
What else?

Bernhard Sulzer wrote:
In short: I, for example KNOW that I am a still a native speaker of German just as you know that you are a native English speaker, never mind any mistakes we might make occasionally.

Which kind of mistakes would be acceptable and which not?

Bernhard Sulzer wrote:
Note the difference between a "native speaker" and "excellent command of a second, non-native language". No matter how good someone is in a second language, even if they translate into it, they will simply not be able to write/ sound like a native speaker.

Formal texts, many technical and scientific texts and others, don’t allow the inclusion of slang and “sounding like a native” isn’t needed or even desirable, but instead the correct and clear expression of ideas. Excluding highly competent or good translators, as “not good enough to translate towards English” (or any language as may be the case) in these areas doesn’t help our customers or the industry.

Bernhard Sulzer wrote:
I would not agree to a "near-native" category. There is nothing wrong with being an excellent non-native speaker of a second or third language.

I don’t like “near native” because it’s just as vague as “native” in terms of translation quality, but instead, the “command of English for specific uses” is a much better, much more objective measure of language competence, for the interest of customers.

Ty Kendall
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
Once more, with feeling Sep 6, 2012

traductorchile wrote:
I don’t like “near native” because it’s just as vague as “native” in terms of translation quality

The native language criterion is merely a statement of fact, not an indicator of quality or competence.

**And "native language" isn't unique in this respect. Credentials are the same, you can claim/have a list of degrees coming out of your earholes, but they should be/are a mere statement of fact i.e. that you have completed x course at x institution. They are not indicators nor guarantees of quality or competence.

Now, in many cases if not most, it's advantageous to have degrees just like it's advantageous to be a native speaker of the target language. However, ProZ actively clamps down on those attempting to lie about their credentials with verification but currently they do not pursue native language verification with the same vigour. In an honest and professional environment you shouldn't be allowed to lie about either one.

[Edited at 2012-09-06 16:20 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Should “native language” claims be verified?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »