Thread poster: Han Li
Han Li
Han Li  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 14:31
English to Chinese
+ ...
Nov 19, 2010

About 72 hours ago, I bought 400 impression ads by BrowniZ, but I just have found the Impressions Remaining are about 79. I really don’t know how it’s to be advertised. I just think it’s too quick. I just have also carefully observed the change of remaining times, it remained 84 times on 20:00 (GMT+8) today, and 79 times on 20:10, that is, it’s about one impression per 2 minutes. I am not sure if it’s normal. But I think I will never advertise myself with my money, it’s not worth it.... See more
About 72 hours ago, I bought 400 impression ads by BrowniZ, but I just have found the Impressions Remaining are about 79. I really don’t know how it’s to be advertised. I just think it’s too quick. I just have also carefully observed the change of remaining times, it remained 84 times on 20:00 (GMT+8) today, and 79 times on 20:10, that is, it’s about one impression per 2 minutes. I am not sure if it’s normal. But I think I will never advertise myself with my money, it’s not worth it.

[Edited at 2010-11-19 12:27 GMT]
Collapse

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 06:31
Japanese to English
Question for you Nov 19, 2010

What is an 'impression ad', if I may ask?

Han Li
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I mean…… Nov 19, 2010

TransAfrique wrote:

What is an 'impression ad', if I may ask?

I mean the Directory text Ads, you can find the page at the following link:
http://www.proz.com/?sp=my_textads

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:31
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
I wouldn't pay for them Nov 19, 2010

The exposure these adds give is minimal, not least due to the way they are displayed on the site in a very inconspicuous place under very high column of search settings and a banner of corporate directory.

Everyone who looks for a freelancer before s/he scrolls down to text adds sees approximately 15 freelancers. If there were a pay per click option these adds would make much more sense but as they are paid per impression with no control over their conversion to clicks I think that
... See more
The exposure these adds give is minimal, not least due to the way they are displayed on the site in a very inconspicuous place under very high column of search settings and a banner of corporate directory.

Everyone who looks for a freelancer before s/he scrolls down to text adds sees approximately 15 freelancers. If there were a pay per click option these adds would make much more sense but as they are paid per impression with no control over their conversion to clicks I think that the ROI is very miserable.

Having said that I think that it makes good sense to spend your Browniz points on these adds, especially that there are so few practical ways of using them. Also the very process of obtaining Browniz (for instance entering glossary terms) will give you additional exposure on the site.

Best Regards
Stanislaw
Collapse

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 07:31
German to English
+ ...
Unimpressive Nov 20, 2010

Impressions are basically a waste in practice. Clicks would make far more sense and would be a desirable alternative.

Han Li
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for sharing…… Nov 23, 2010

Thanks for sharing your experience, KSL and Stanislaw.
I also think a pay per click option is good. Actually, I noticed the visitor count is no changes on my Proz page compared with the time I had not advertised.

Best wishes,
Han Li

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Proz impression ads: Worth or not?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »