Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 02:40
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 17, 2010

I would like to add an "I agree" button, just like the Facebook "I like it".

I have read several times posts with the word "Ditto". In these cases, when users do not add anything to support a previous idea/message, it will more useful the "I agree" button, thus saving bandwidth.

[Edited at 2010-09-17 23:13 GMT]

mediamatrix (X)
mediamatrix (X)
Local time: 04:40
Spanish to English
+ ...
If there was a 'disagree' button on this page I'd hit it now. Sep 18, 2010

Yaotl Altan wrote:

... it will more useful the "I agree" button, thus saving bandwidth

A 'disagree' button would, IMHO, save at least 10 times more bandwidth than your proposed 'agree' button.

MediaMatrix

Umang Dholabhai
Umang Dholabhai  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 14:10
English to Gujarati
+ ...
I Agree Sep 18, 2010

Yaotl Altan wrote:

I would like to add an "I agree" button, just like the Facebook "I like it".

I have read several times posts with the word "Ditto". In these cases, when users do not add anything to support a previous idea/message, it will more useful the "I agree" button, thus saving bandwidth.

[Edited at 2010-09-17 23:13 GMT]

Yaotl Altan
Mexico
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Nice idea too Sep 18, 2010

mediamatrix wrote:

Yaotl Altan wrote:

... it will more useful the "I agree" button, thus saving bandwidth

A 'disagree' button would, IMHO, save at least 10 times more bandwidth than your proposed 'agree' button.

MediaMatrix

hehehehe

Hey, as a matter of fact, we could implement that button too! Thanx for the proposal.

inkweaver
inkweaver  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:40
French to German
+ ...
No, thank you Sep 18, 2010

None of that Facebook kindergarten stuff please. People who need that sort of thing can use it on Facebook if they want to but in this environment I would prefer to have none of those childish features. What will be next? Virtual gifts to give to those who agree and virtual tricks you can play on those who disagree?

[Edited at 2010-09-18 05:40 GMT]

Sergei Tumanov
Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:40
English to Russian
+ ...
+1 Sep 18, 2010

+1

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
"I agree" button is a good idea Sep 18, 2010

inkweaver wrote:

None of that Facebook kindergarten stuff please. People who need that sort of thing can use it on Facebook if they want to but in this environment I would prefer to have none of those childish features.

I don't think it's childish. It's quick and concise. And, as Yaotle says, it avoids the practice of copying and pasting long quotes and then just putting "I agree" or "ditto".

In the case of technical forums where a solution is offered, it would provide a way for others to confirm that the proposed solution is a good one.

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 05:40
SITE STAFF
The "Ideas" feature has a similar functionality already Sep 18, 2010

Hello all,

Where ideas and suggestions are concerned, note that the "Ideas" feature (in the top right of most ProZ.com pages) has a system where votes, or agrees, can be given to a posted idea, along with a discussion section for each suggestion or idea posted. The "Ideas" feature was released early this year to allow a channel where ideas for site improvement could be posted and other members can easily weigh in on how useful they find them, by simply voting for them, or by discuss
... See more
Hello all,

Where ideas and suggestions are concerned, note that the "Ideas" feature (in the top right of most ProZ.com pages) has a system where votes, or agrees, can be given to a posted idea, along with a discussion section for each suggestion or idea posted. The "Ideas" feature was released early this year to allow a channel where ideas for site improvement could be posted and other members can easily weigh in on how useful they find them, by simply voting for them, or by discussing them as well if they wish.

Jared
Collapse

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:40
English to Arabic
+ ...
I agree... and it wouldn't just be restricted to "ideas" per se Sep 18, 2010

Jared wrote:

Where ideas and suggestions are concerned, note that the "Ideas" feature (in the top right of most ProZ.com pages) has a system where votes, or agrees, can be given to a posted idea, along with a discussion section for each suggestion or idea posted.

It can be used to express agreement with all sorts of opinions...

And, inkweaver, just because the idea was inspired by Facebook doesn't automatically mean it's childish (that is, if we assumed that Facebook is childish regardless of how it's used - an attitude which I personally find very patronising, and increasingly irritating).

The idea is also inspired, as Yaotl expained, by the countless times in which people made a posting just a to say "I agree" or "ditto".

[Edited at 2010-09-18 14:42 GMT]

inkweaver
inkweaver  Identity Verified
Germany
French to German
+ ...
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion Sep 18, 2010

Nesrin wrote:

And, inkweaver, just because the idea was inspired by Facebook doesn't automatically mean it's childish (that is, if we assumed that Facebook is childish regardless of how it's used - an attitude which I personally find very patronising, and increasingly irritating).

[Edited at 2010-09-18 14:42 GMT]

If I wrote anything that hurt your feelings, Nesrin, I apologise. I didn't realise that people do feel so strongly about Facebook that they take it as an insult if somebody says anything against it. I dislike Facebook for a number of reasons, one of them being their attitude towards the protection of personal data, but that is a different story.

However, I think if somebody wants to contribute to a discussion, there is not much need to just say "ditto" and I have not come across that many instances where people don't elaborate on their opinion. Therefore I find this type of button completely useless in a normal discussion (I'm not referring to "Ideas" where it does have its uses).

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
What use is "I agree" Sep 18, 2010

I agree with Inkweaver that all these fashion accessories are not necessary in a ProZ forum.

I post things here on ProZ (and not on Facebook etc) because I think that, in the main, people here post when they have something to say, and not otherwise. I'd like that to continue. I'm not interested in whether they like what I say or if they're my friend - I'm interested in what they have to say.

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Arabic
+ ...
[Off-topic] It's alright Sep 18, 2010

inkweaver wrote:
If I wrote anything that hurt your feelings, Nesrin, I apologise. I didn't realise that people do feel so strongly about Facebook that they take it as an insult if somebody says anything against it.

Of course, inkweaver, you're perfectly entitled to dislike Facebook. Rereading what you said, you didn't actually call the entire website childish, only some features of it. So apologies if I overreacted. I guess I was still a bit irritated by comments previously made on a Proz forum where people found it hard to imagine that someone over 21 could be using Facebook - probably had an image of a site where people just send each other virtual teddybears and hugs, which is far from how I, for one, and many of my friends use it to share news, opinions, photos etc.

[Edited at 2010-09-18 15:16 GMT]

Yaotl Altan
Mexico
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It's Sep 18, 2010

inkweaver wrote:

None of that Facebook kindergarten stuff please. People who need that sort of thing can use it on Facebook if they want to but in this environment I would prefer to have none of those childish features. What will be next? Virtual gifts to give to those who agree and virtual tricks you can play on those who disagree?

[Edited at 2010-09-18 05:40 GMT]

When you reply posts, you can find links to some of these Kindergarten stuff in the lower part:

LinkedIn - Twitter - Facebook

I hate much of TV programs too, but not the wide range of opportunities we have to educate people through it. If we define all the TV channels as garbage, then we would have never heard about NAtGeo, Hisotry Channel and education TV channel in our countries.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:40
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
I am not too crazy about this idea. Sep 18, 2010

In a forum I want to talk to real people instead of watching the yay and nay counts of anonymous readers.

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
yup Sep 18, 2010

Emma Goldsmith wrote:
it avoids the practice of copying and pasting long quotes and then just putting "I agree" or "ditto".

People who do this should have their internet connection blocked by the state for the rest of their natural lives. There is almost nothing more annoying in a forum.

Apart, perhaps, from people who suggest draconian punishments for minor irritants.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I agree button.

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »