Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 00:55
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 13, 2010

Users should have the option to insert the flag of the country they live in. A little flag displayed in the Proz directory will be the best and fastest way to graphically find translators in Proz lists.

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 08:55
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Not sure Sep 13, 2010

Yaotl Altan wrote:

Users should have the option to insert the flag of the country they live in. A little flag displayed in the Proz directory will be the best and fastest way to graphically find translators in Proz lists.

Some of us don't like to emphasise that we no longer live in our target language country.

Besides, little flags are sooooo last century.

Cheers,
Gerard

Note to self: replace flags with language options on all my webpages.

Yaotl Altan
Mexico
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you. Sep 13, 2010

Gerard de Noord wrote:

Yaotl Altan wrote:

Some of us don't like to emphasise that we no longer live in our target language country.

Exactly, Gerard. It would not be compulsory, but optional.

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Let's just be cautious Sep 13, 2010

What's optional this year might be recommended next year, encouraged the following year and mandatory for the rest of our lives.

Cheers,
Gerard

Yaotl Altan
Mexico
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Examples Sep 14, 2010

Right now, it looks like this:

If my suggestion is implemented, it would look like:

There´s no problem if a user doesn't use the flag, as his/her entry will remain the same.

Kind regards!

[Edited at 2010-09-14 01:16 G
... See more
Right now, it looks like this:

If my suggestion is implemented, it would look like:

There´s no problem if a user doesn't use the flag, as his/her entry will remain the same.

Kind regards!

[Edited at 2010-09-14 01:16 GMT]
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Don't agree Sep 14, 2010

Personally I don't see the need for the flags. Flags (especially in my country) are always a source of arguments and tension. I think it is OK if we don't fill this portal with flags.

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 09:55
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
You can put the flag into your image Sep 14, 2010

I don't think flags are better than words. Words are searchable (cntrl+F).
What flag would a Finn put up, if his native language is Swedish?
Translators are searched according to language combination, not country of residence or birth.
Regards
Heinrich

[Bearbeitet am 2010-09-14 05:22 GMT]

Anabel Canon
Anabel Canon
English to Spanish
+ ...
Precisely Sep 14, 2010

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Personally I don't see the need for the flags. Flags (especially in my country) are always a source of arguments and tension. I think it is OK if we don't fill this portal with flags.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:55
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Hm. Sep 14, 2010

Yaotl Altan wrote:

So... I am a US citizen and I live in the US. But I was born in Germany, I am a native speaker of German and I translate into German (the reversed language pair is taken care of by our co-workers). Which flag option should I chose and - why on earth (literally) should this be important in terms of finding the perfect translator?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Good idea, but it must be optional Sep 14, 2010

Yaotl Altan wrote:

This is a good idea, I think. Those who do not like it are those who would not benefit from it, but I think most translators would benefit from it.

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Optional and mandatory Sep 14, 2010

Gerard de Noord wrote:
What's optional this year might be recommended next year, encouraged the following year and mandatory for the rest of our lives.

Can you think of other examples of optional items in the ProZ.com profile pages that became mandatory after it used to be optional? I know of many items that are optional but that are still optional. In some cases, the visitor is told "user chose not to say" and in some cases the item is simply absent from the profile page.

Yaotl Altan
Mexico
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
USA Sep 14, 2010

Nicole Schnell wrote:

Yaotl Altan wrote:

So... I am a US citizen and I live in the US. But I was born in Germany, I am a native speaker of German and I translate into German (the reversed language pair is taken care of by our co-workers). Which flag option should I chose and - why on earth (literally) should this be important in terms of finding the perfect translator?

Easy, the flag of the USA as you live there. As many people do related to translation rates, if you don't like to use it (this would be optional), then you could choose "user chose not to say".

Peter Motte
Peter Motte  Identity Verified
Belgium
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
No flags, please Sep 14, 2010

Flags... They're too simple for something like translators. They don't tell a thing. Target langauge country and source language country are both valuable and interesting places to live. The first one to have good handling of the target language, and the second one to understand the source language.
But the story doesn't end there. What about people with more than two langauges?
What about the extensive use of media (chatt, tv, telephone, internet...- to compensate for the country
... See more
Flags... They're too simple for something like translators. They don't tell a thing. Target langauge country and source language country are both valuable and interesting places to live. The first one to have good handling of the target language, and the second one to understand the source language.
But the story doesn't end there. What about people with more than two langauges?
What about the extensive use of media (chatt, tv, telephone, internet...- to compensate for the country where you don't live?
And, yes, flags are so 20th century. They were a cheap way to put pictures on a website, but lots of us decided in the end they are... too simple. I deleted them from my site.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Wrong discussion Sep 14, 2010

Peter Motte wrote:
Target langauge country and source language country are both valuable and interesting places to live. The first one to have good handling of the target language, and the second one to understand the source language. But the story doesn't end there. What about people with more than two langauges?

If you have a problem with the fact that the translator's country of residence is indicated in the search results, then that would be a separate discussion. The fact is that the country of residence is already indicated in the search results (it is not optional, AFAIK), so the proposal of a flag is not a proposal to make the country of residence known.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Flags are powerful symbols Sep 14, 2010

Samuel Murray wrote:
If you have a problem with the fact that the translator's country of residence is indicated in the search results, then that would be a separate discussion. The fact is that the country of residence is already indicated in the search results (it is not optional, AFAIK), so the proposal of a flag is not a proposal to make the country of residence known.

Although in theory you are right, in practice flags are powerful symbols. When some German national looks at Nicole's line in the list, the US flag will jump to their eye and they will irrationally think "American, thus originally native in English." Not a good feeling if you know a tiny bit about Germans. Since this world moves at ludicrous speeds, a decision based on the flag will be final and will take place in a fraction of a second.

Yes, in theory the same person would be scared away by the name "United States" in Nicole's line in the list, but a flag stands out a lot more.

No flags please!

(And sorry Nicole for using your name for this example! I hope you don't mind!)

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Country flag option

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »