Compulsory to leave comment for ratings of 3-1 on BB
Thread poster: pcovs
pcovs
pcovs
Denmark
Local time: 11:29
English to Danish
Jul 13, 2010

This is probably not enforcable, but it annoys me to see e.g. a rating of 1 without any comments.

What can I possible do with this? Nothing, I think. I have no way of knowing if there was simply a disagreement, if this client is unwilling to pay, if too much work is expected compared to the initial agreement, or if this translator has simply gone sour for some reason.
So basically such a rating proofs absolutely worthless to me, and I have to disregard it altogether.
<
... See more
This is probably not enforcable, but it annoys me to see e.g. a rating of 1 without any comments.

What can I possible do with this? Nothing, I think. I have no way of knowing if there was simply a disagreement, if this client is unwilling to pay, if too much work is expected compared to the initial agreement, or if this translator has simply gone sour for some reason.
So basically such a rating proofs absolutely worthless to me, and I have to disregard it altogether.

I realise that a compulsary comment could be circumvented, but then again...I need this feedback.

What do others think about low ratings without comments?
Do you count them in?
Any suggestions as to how to improve this?

[Edited at 2010-07-13 16:42 GMT]

Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:29
Member (2008)
Italian to English
There's probably a good reason Jul 13, 2010

There's probably a good reason. By not making a comment, the offending agency can't counter it.

As you may know, if you leave a negative comment the agency has the right to answer it, and very often these answers from the agencies completely contradict the comment left by the translator.

My own approach on the (very rare) occasions when I have to leave a negative comment is simply to say "contact me in private for more details".

Why not just contact private
... See more
There's probably a good reason. By not making a comment, the offending agency can't counter it.

As you may know, if you leave a negative comment the agency has the right to answer it, and very often these answers from the agencies completely contradict the comment left by the translator.

My own approach on the (very rare) occasions when I have to leave a negative comment is simply to say "contact me in private for more details".

Why not just contact privately the person who gave the 1, and ask them for more details?

Obviously if they gave the agency a 1, that's some kind of warning, which is in itself helpful.

[Edited at 2010-07-13 14:02 GMT]
Collapse

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Send a note to the colleague who posted... Jul 13, 2010

... and ask for an explanation. Imo, you're more than likely to hear why the low rating was given. In any case, whether or not to work for the agency will be your own decision. High BB ratings aren't necessary based on anything more than gratitude for getting the work and for getting paid.

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 18:29
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
This should apply to all ratings Jul 13, 2010

I agree with PCovs regarding this matter, but IMHO, I would like to see comments, whether you're entering a 1 or a 5 on the BB. If a translator entered a 5 without leaving any comments, I would be curious in what way this outsourcer deserved it. Did he pay on time or even earlier? Nice and friendly communication? Or maybe just to get more work from that outsourcer (apple polishing)? There should be tons of reasons, depending on the individual when making entries on the BB.

pcovs
pcovs
Denmark
English to Danish
TOPIC STARTER
Just thought two sides was better than none Jul 13, 2010

writeaway wrote:

... and ask for an explanation. Imo, you're more than likely to hear why the low rating was given. In any case, whether or not to work for the agency will be your own decision. High BB ratings aren't necessary based on anything more than gratitude for getting the work and for getting paid.

Yes, I agree that high ratings do not necessarily make a good company, but nor do low ratings necessarily make a bad one, that's why I use the comments to paint a fuller picture. Usually high raters leave a comment, so I simply wished low raters would do the same and let the company counter all they want.

Anyway, that's just how I do things, and of course I could just take up the habit of contacting people for more info, you are right.
Thanks for input.

[Edited at 2010-07-13 13:52 GMT]

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 18:29
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Not quite so Jul 13, 2010

Tom in London wrote:

Hi Tom,

I've seen quite a few BB records where the translator has entered a 1 without leaving a comment, but the offended agency replied such as "This translator has missed the deadline", "This translator was paid in full", "This translator has been writing and calling us everyday even before agreed payment date asking for payment", etc. You name it. So it doesn't help you from not getting a contradictory comments from the offended agency. And like you say, the only way to find out is to ask the translator for the reason of entering a low rating.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Leaving a comment should not be compulsory Jul 13, 2010

I don't quite agree with a compulsory comment. We translators are precisely the kind of people who understand with just a few words or signs. To me, a mark of 1 is enough a sign to let a prospect go untouched, and a 3 is enough a sign to be extra cautious.

If someone does not want to enter the risk of having to defend the note in front of the customer and/or Proz.com's moderators, it's perfectly fine to leave just the number.

Edited to fix a typo. Thanks to write
... See more
I don't quite agree with a compulsory comment. We translators are precisely the kind of people who understand with just a few words or signs. To me, a mark of 1 is enough a sign to let a prospect go untouched, and a 3 is enough a sign to be extra cautious.

If someone does not want to enter the risk of having to defend the note in front of the customer and/or Proz.com's moderators, it's perfectly fine to leave just the number.

Edited to fix a typo. Thanks to writeaway a.k.a. spellchecker.

[Edited at 2010-07-13 16:41 GMT]
Collapse

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Fwiw Jul 13, 2010

C-O-M-P-U-L-S-O-R-Y

Gudrun Wolfrath
Gudrun Wolfrath  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
I just wrote a BlueBoard entry. Jul 13, 2010

There is only a limited number of characters you can enter, which I found quite annoying.

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
OT: management of BB entries Jul 13, 2010

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

(my emphasis)

The management of BB entries has been entrusted to the site staff some time ago.

[Edited at 2010-07-13 18:01 GMT]

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oops! Jul 13, 2010

Laurent KRAULAND wrote:
Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

(my emphasis)
The management of BB entries has been entrusted to the site staff some time ago.

OK Laurent! My apologies to everyone for the confusion!

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
The reason is a very good and serious one because... Jul 13, 2010

PCovs wrote:
Do you count them in?

In some jurisdictions (Italy, France and Germany for example) a negative comment can be considered as defamation by the court, in such jurisdictions the "truth criterion" does not apply and a public negative comment can arise legal suit for defamation even if true, there are some old threads about this matter, searching one for you...

Edited for indicating a thread about the matter, see in particular Henry's post here http://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/74902-blueboard_and_threats-page2.html

All the best

Angio

[Edited at 2010-07-13 19:31 GMT]

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:29
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Public or private? Jul 14, 2010

Angie Garbarino wrote:

PCovs wrote:
Do you count them in?

In some jurisdictions (Italy, France and Germany for example) a negative comment can be considered as defamation by the court, in such jurisdictions the "truth criterion" does not apply and a public negative comment can arise legal suit for defamation even if true, there are some old threads about this matter, searching one for you...

Edited for indicating a thread about the matter, see in particular Henry's post here http://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/74902-blueboard_and_threats-page2.html

All the best

Angio

[Edited at 2010-07-13 19:31 GMT]

Which raises a valid question, are BB comments public? They are only accessible to paying clients of Proz.

Certainly, in some jurisdictions (such as Quebec) defamation is measured by whether harm is done (such as losing customers) by public statements, not strictly related to the truth or not of the statement.

I agree that a poster should have the option of leaving no more than a rating, which is in itself a comment.

pcovs
pcovs
Denmark
English to Danish
TOPIC STARTER
I didn't write this - please edit, thanks. Jul 14, 2010

John Fossey wrote:

PCovs wrote:
... public negative comment can arise legal suit for defamation even if true,

You accidently made it look as if I wrote this - I didn't, so could you edit your comment so that the right person i accredited? Thanks.

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Public Jul 14, 2010

John Fossey wrote:

Angio wrote:
... public negative comment can arise legal suit for defamation even if true

Which raises a valid question, are BB comments public? They are only accessible to paying clients of Proz.

Certainly, in some jurisdictions (such as Quebec) defamation is measured by whether harm is done (such as losing customers) by public statements, not strictly related to the truth or not of the statement.

I agree that a poster should have the option of leaving no more than a rating, which is in itself a comment

In some jurisdictions a statement is considered public when it can be read by more than a certain very low number (if I remember correctly in Italy it is 3) of people, so...

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Compulsory to leave comment for ratings of 3-1 on BB

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »