Compulsory to leave comment for ratings of 3-1 on BB
Thread poster: pcovs
Lesley Clarke
Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 03:39
Spanish to English
Reasons why not to leave comments Jul 14, 2010

A foreign agency once refused to pay me 5,000 dollars it owed me for work I had done for them, so I give them a 1 on the Blueboard with short description of my problem with them, only to find, to add insult to injury, that the agency was able to slander me on Blueboard and I was not even able to respond to this. After long negotiation with Proz I managed to get the agency's comments removed in exchange for removing my comments.

I think the only solution to this is, as other contrib
... See more
A foreign agency once refused to pay me 5,000 dollars it owed me for work I had done for them, so I give them a 1 on the Blueboard with short description of my problem with them, only to find, to add insult to injury, that the agency was able to slander me on Blueboard and I was not even able to respond to this. After long negotiation with Proz I managed to get the agency's comments removed in exchange for removing my comments.

I think the only solution to this is, as other contributors say, to get in touch with the person who gave such a review, and ask them personally why they did so.
Collapse

Ronald van der Linden (X)
Ronald van der Linden (X)  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 03:39
German to Dutch
+ ...
standardize blue board comments Aug 16, 2010

PCovs wrote:
Any suggestions as to how to improve this?

I just posted to suggest standardized questions (2 or 3 max.) that can be measurable and obligatory to avoid empty feedback, and personal input such as "nice", "quick" etc.
http://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_suggestions/178033-standardize_blue_board_comments.html

Cheers
Ronald

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 16:39
English to Thai
+ ...
Agree Aug 16, 2010

Tom in London wrote:
There's probably a good reason. By not making a comment, the offending agency can't counter it.
As you may know, if you leave a negative comment the agency has the right to answer it, and very often these answers from the agencies completely contradict the comment left by the translator.
My own approach on the (very rare) occasions when I have to leave a negative comment is simply to say "contact me in private for more details".
Why not just contact privately the person who gave the 1, and ask them for more details?

I agree with Tom. Agencies are in a big supporting community of Proz.com and we may not say all what we want to say by supplying reliable evidences. And BB writers are contributing to translators/freelancers since they indirectly protect those weak-in-negotiation-power from a few dishonest agencies. Negative comments can initiate no ending dispute; this is not expected by Prozians. Some comments can also lead to legal prosecution.

Best regards,

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Compulsory to leave comment for ratings of 3-1 on BB

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »