Thread poster: Frank van Thienen (X)
Frank van Thienen (X)
Frank van Thienen (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 15:27
Dutch to English
Jun 10, 2010

Hi,

Fairly new on ProZ, so I'm feeling my way around here.
I've just submitted my first Application and was wondering about a couple of items here:

1. There is no Preview option for the finished application - should this be a Suggestion to site staff?

2. In a freestyle text box like the one on the Application page, titled "Additional Information", is it possible to use any kind of formatting, e.g. does html code work in this box? (I haven't tried i
... See more
Hi,

Fairly new on ProZ, so I'm feeling my way around here.
I've just submitted my first Application and was wondering about a couple of items here:

1. There is no Preview option for the finished application - should this be a Suggestion to site staff?

2. In a freestyle text box like the one on the Application page, titled "Additional Information", is it possible to use any kind of formatting, e.g. does html code work in this box? (I haven't tried it, for fear of messing up my application, as there is no Preview)

In fact, I just see now that this very text box I'm typing in has a Preview button, as well as some instructions at the bottom about permitting a limited selection of html tags.
Can I assume that any freestyle text box on this site will allow the same codes?

TIA,
Frank van Thienen
Collapse

Frank van Thienen (X)
Canada
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
anybody? Jun 10, 2010

I'm obviously not stirring anything up

Meanwhile I've submitted another application, this time I took a gamble and used the html codes to hotwire some weblinks: well, it didn't work. The html code shows up as I typed it in and the links are not clickable.
This makes for a pretty ugly application.

And too bad that there's no Preview, otherwise I would have been able to delete those codes before sub
... See more
I'm obviously not stirring anything up

Meanwhile I've submitted another application, this time I took a gamble and used the html codes to hotwire some weblinks: well, it didn't work. The html code shows up as I typed it in and the links are not clickable.
This makes for a pretty ugly application.

And too bad that there's no Preview, otherwise I would have been able to delete those codes before submitting.

A very small disappointing corner of an otherwise quite amazing site.

Unless anyone has another idea, I will look for a way to put this in a suggestions box.
Cheers,
Frank
Collapse

Alejandro Cavalitto
Alejandro Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 19:27
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Could you please specify where you are submitting these applications? Jun 11, 2010

Hello Frank,

Could you please specify where you are submitting these applications? Your reply will allow me to help you.

If you want to include a link to a job posting, you should reply through a support request. Thank you.

Best regards,
Alejandro

Frank van Thienen (X)
Canada
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
functionality of Job Posting Application Jun 11, 2010

Alejandro Cavalitto wrote:
Could you please specify where you are submitting these applications? Your reply will allow me to help you.

Hi Alejandro,
When I go to Job Postings/Applications ( http://www.proz.com/blueboard/?sp_mode=applications ) and select one of these postings, then the application window I fill in contains the text box "Additional Information" with limited functionality.
This seems to be a global problem and is not tied to any specific job posting.

Let me know if I still need to submit this to Support, since I see that you're on the team yourself.
Thanks,
Frank

[Edited at 2010-06-11 18:14 GMT]

Frank van Thienen (X)
Canada
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
broken functionality on this page? Jun 11, 2010

just noticed this:

Frank van Thienen wrote:
When I go to Job Postings/Applications ( http://www.proz.com/blueboard/?sp_mode=applications ) and select

It seems that this text box - although BBcode enabled - is not creating a clickable http link. The quote code seems to work, but not the other one. The tags would be showing if there was a typo, so something else is amiss.

Frank

Alejandro Cavalitto
Alejandro Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 19:27
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks for the suggestion! Jun 11, 2010

Hello Frank,

Thanks for your reply . I see now what you were referring to. I have requested site developers to add a preview step to the process of submitting an application on the Blue Board. Thanks for the suggestion!

By the way, I see that the link you have included is not properly tagged. It should be < a href="http://
... See more
Hello Frank,

Thanks for your reply . I see now what you were referring to. I have requested site developers to add a preview step to the process of submitting an application on the Blue Board. Thanks for the suggestion!

By the way, I see that the link you have included is not properly tagged. It should be < a href="http://www.proz.com/blueboard/?sp_mode=applications" > http://www.proz.com/blueboard/?sp_mode=applications < /a > (minus the spaces) for it to be read as a link. In any case, links are automatically read as such on ProZ.com forums, so if you just remove the tags the link should be clickable. You can edit your post by clicking on the "Edit" button on it.

I'll let you know here when the preview step is added. Please let me know if you need anything else in the meantime.

Best regards,
Alejandro
Collapse

Frank van Thienen (X)
Canada
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
learn something every day! Jun 11, 2010

Alejandro Cavalitto wrote:
In any case, links are automatically read as such on ProZ.com forums, so if you just remove the tags the link should be clickable.

Thanks Alejandro!

Frank

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Applications: missing Preview and wondering about formatting

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »