Thread poster: Attila Piróth
Attila Piróth
Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:41
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Jun 1, 2010

The idea from this post comes from this thread, where Nesrin flagged an interesting article.

There is an entire site section devoted to news articles, but suggestions need to be submitted for approval by staff. I can imagine that for users who can contribute to forum discussions with
... See more
The idea from this post comes from this thread, where Nesrin flagged an interesting article.

There is an entire site section devoted to news articles, but suggestions need to be submitted for approval by staff. I can imagine that for users who can contribute to forum discussions without approval by staff or moderators this may be cumbersome.

Wouldn't it be better to apply the same policy as in the forums, i.e., let VIDed users (who are not subject to administrative action) post such news directly? Or are the rules that apply here slightly different – for example, discussing outsourcers explicitly is more tolerated? (Well, the recent forum threads on Lionbridge, including its new platform, pricing strategies etc. show that discussing outsourcers has, in certain forms, become acceptable in the forums, too.) Inn that case wouldn't clearly published rules be the best solution?

Kind regards,
Attila
Collapse

Laureana Pavon
Laureana Pavon  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 05:41
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...

Agree Jun 1, 2010

I agree that clear rules are needed regarding the submission of news items.

I submitted one a while back but never saw it published. Frankly, not knowing the rules and the fact that my first submission was not picked up was discouraging and I have not submitted further articles.

Clear rules about what may/may not be submitted would encourage more members to share.

Laureana

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
Me too Jun 1, 2010

Also agree with the above.
However, for some reason, what Attila describes above happenned to me couple of times, at the beginning. It seems my comments are suggestions are seen almost immdiately now.

Maybe is it the system that takes time to know you and recognize you?

RominaZ
RominaZ  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Vetting and notifications in Translation News Jun 1, 2010

Hi all,

Laureana, I tracked down the news item you refer to, I believe-- it looks like it had already been published 3 days before you submitted yours, by another member, see http://www.proz.com/translation-news/?p=6773 .

I agree that a better means of notifying in cases like this is needed, and I will see what I can do.

As for vetting, for the time bein
... See more
Hi all,

Laureana, I tracked down the news item you refer to, I believe-- it looks like it had already been published 3 days before you submitted yours, by another member, see http://www.proz.com/translation-news/?p=6773 .

I agree that a better means of notifying in cases like this is needed, and I will see what I can do.

As for vetting, for the time being vetting of news items and comments is done by staff. Since efforts are made to "standardize" the format of news items, staff review these items before they are published. A closer integration with the way forums work may be possible in the future.

Thanks for your active participation.

Romina
Collapse

Laureana Pavon
Laureana Pavon  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...

Rejected news items Jun 1, 2010

Romina,

Thanks for taking the time to track down the news item I submitted a while back.

Until a better system is developed, perhaps when a news item is rejected a message could be sent to the person who submitted it, even if it's just a boiler-plate. As I said, not knowing whether anyone has actually looked at the things we submit is really discouraging.

This also happened to me in the past with the daily polls: I submitted one or two but after not having
... See more
Romina,

Thanks for taking the time to track down the news item I submitted a while back.

Until a better system is developed, perhaps when a news item is rejected a message could be sent to the person who submitted it, even if it's just a boiler-plate. As I said, not knowing whether anyone has actually looked at the things we submit is really discouraging.

This also happened to me in the past with the daily polls: I submitted one or two but after not having seen them published nor having received any feedback saying they had been rejected I was completely discouraged and never again submitted an idea for a poll.

I really love the daily polls (if you check you'll see that I participate in them every single day) and I think the new "new items" feature is a great addition to ProZ.com, so I'm glad to hear that you're working to improve it. Thanks!
Collapse

Attila Piróth
Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:41
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Submission interface looks quite detailed Jun 2, 2010

RominaZ wrote:
As for vetting, for the time being vetting of news items and comments is done by staff. Since efforts are made to "standardize" the format of news items, staff review these items before they are published. A closer integration with the way forums work may be possible in the future.

Hi Romina,

The interface for news article submisson contains a detailed description, which I would expect to ensure sufficient standardization of the format. In fact it looks more straightforward than posting a KudoZ question with all the relevant information or posting a new forum thread in the appropriate category. So, if it is merely a question of format, the removal of staff approval may save quite a lot of time for staff – and also accelerate the process for users. Even more importantly, it would also encourage more active participation; the present form (submit for approval) is quite web 1.0 type, compared to forums and other site features.

Kind regards,
Attila

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

News section policy

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »