"Autosuggest" function when posting new threads
Thread poster: Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 13:00
Italian to English
Apr 22, 2010

I am the member of another forum which suggests similar, pre-existing threads when a new thread is posted. So when someone starts a new thread called "I need a recipe for chocolate cake", all similar threads are listed, inviting the poster to search these before starting another.

Having just read the umpteenth "How do I become a freelance translator?" thread, I think it might be a useful addition to ProZ.

Thoughts?

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 09:00
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
We can use the ProZ.com wiki instead Apr 22, 2010

Hi Fiona,

As an alternative to visiting old threads, valuable information on professional issues could be collected by the community in some of ProZ.com wiki pages, such as the one on Establishing yourself as a freelance translator.

Regards,
Enrique

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Kudoz does this Apr 22, 2010

I quite agree with Fiona.
If I ask a question on Kudoz and a similar one has already been asked, I will be warned before I post the question.
Couldn't this be applied to topics posted on proz?

It's true that people can go to Proz.com wiki for a lot of these repeated topics, but that relies on the asker taking the initiative to do so, whereas an asker who is prompted by the system that there is already a similar thread on this topic may well follow it up before opening y
... See more
I quite agree with Fiona.
If I ask a question on Kudoz and a similar one has already been asked, I will be warned before I post the question.
Couldn't this be applied to topics posted on proz?

It's true that people can go to Proz.com wiki for a lot of these repeated topics, but that relies on the asker taking the initiative to do so, whereas an asker who is prompted by the system that there is already a similar thread on this topic may well follow it up before opening yet another thread on it.
Collapse

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
good idea Apr 22, 2010

Yes, this sounds like a really good idea. Since we already have this in the KudoZ section, this should be possible for the fora as well.

Fiona Grace Peterson
Italy
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
If only!!! Apr 22, 2010

Enrique wrote:

As an alternative to visiting old threads, valuable information on professional issues could be collected by the community in some of ProZ.com wiki pages, such as the one on Establishing yourself as a freelance translator.

Thank you for your suggestion Enrique; it would be fantastic if people did this, but unfortunately they don't, as the plethora of threads on the topic of starting out as a freelancer shows.

I think my suggestion could be a helpful alternative.[Edited at 2010-04-22 14:55 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-04-22 14:56 GMT]

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 09:00
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
The wiki could be more valuable for the profession as a whole Apr 22, 2010

Fiona Peterson wrote:

Enrique wrote:

Thank you for your suggestion Enrique; it would be fantastic if people did this, but as the plethora of threads on the topic of starting out as a freelancer shows, people don't.

I think my suggestion could be a helpful alternative.

Hi Fiona,

The PRoZ.com wiki is a new resource. If some experienced colleagues collaborate to create a valuable repository of information on how to get started in the career, this would not only be beneficial for the profession as a whole but also users concerned about starting their careers could be addressed to these wiki pages instead of having repeated discussions in the fora.

Enrique

Fiona Grace Peterson
Italy
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Agreed, but... Apr 22, 2010

Thanks for your reply; I wholeheartedly agree with what you say, but what do we do when new users constantly ignore the mass of information on the forum and continue to post the same questions, over and over? Do we obstinately ignore such pleas, hoping these posters will pick up on the presence of the Wiki? Because I don't think its presence is terribly obvious to those new to the site.

Perhaps the wiki could be one of the links suggested when someone posts the umpteenth thread on h
... See more
Thanks for your reply; I wholeheartedly agree with what you say, but what do we do when new users constantly ignore the mass of information on the forum and continue to post the same questions, over and over? Do we obstinately ignore such pleas, hoping these posters will pick up on the presence of the Wiki? Because I don't think its presence is terribly obvious to those new to the site.

Perhaps the wiki could be one of the links suggested when someone posts the umpteenth thread on how to become a freelancer. But I think something has to be done, because seeing the same question come up again and again is a little irritating, plus it creates work for the moderators, who continually have to tell people to use the search function.
Collapse

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
An invitation message will be added to the "Post new topic" page Apr 24, 2010

Hello Fiona,

To prevent repeated posts in the forums and to bring the ProZ.com translation industry wiki to site users' attention, an invitation message to check the ProZ.com wiki together with a link to it will be added to the "Post new topic" page. I will let you know once this message is showing so that we can all test its effectiveness in the long run.

Hope this helps.

Have a nic
... See more
Hello Fiona,

To prevent repeated posts in the forums and to bring the ProZ.com translation industry wiki to site users' attention, an invitation message to check the ProZ.com wiki together with a link to it will be added to the "Post new topic" page. I will let you know once this message is showing so that we can all test its effectiveness in the long run.

Hope this helps.

Have a nice weekend!

Lucia
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Autosuggest" function when posting new threads

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »