Patricia Lane
Patricia Lane  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 11:14
French to English
+ ...
Apr 16, 2010

Oh for Pete's sake.
No one is expecting Wordsworth here, but before putting things on line, can there be *some* quality assurance procedure in place? The Proz local/France/Translation page is ...sorry..no other apt word...garbage.
"French linguistic heirloom"? "Guarantess"? Not to mention the substandard writing style.
Get real...

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 06:14
SITE STAFF
Options for collaboration Apr 16, 2010

Hello Patricia,

Thanks for the feedback. The ProZ.com Local pages are designed to be the result of collaboration among translators-- the texts are open to changes, additions, and improvements. For the French page, for example, you'll see a link that reads "Contribute information about the translation industry in France", and you're more than welcome to do so.

Regards,

Jared

Sara Freitas
Sara Freitas
France
French to English
No, no: Keep it exactly as it is Apr 16, 2010

It's a wonderful illustration of the limitations of crowdsourcing. Only downside is that casual observers might think *professional* translators were responsible for it.

Patricia Lane
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I've already made it clear Apr 16, 2010

Jared,

I've already made it clear (on the thread about the French page) a while back that I do provide professional services pro bono for good (non commercial) causes. Proz does not fall into that category.

If those who collaborate on this are not able to proofread or use a spell-checker, then I think it inappropriate they be called either "translators" or "professionals".

Patricia

Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Bemused Apr 16, 2010

I can't seem to access the French page, but the Italian page has errors too. I must say I'm bemused... why put sub-standard text on a professional site for professional translators?

Patricia Lane
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
PM Apr 16, 2010

Henry sent me an email, to which I've responded. Hopefully, he will agree to let that short exchange be copied to this forum.

Kate Chaffer
Kate Chaffer
Italy
Member (2009)
Italian to English
Italian page Apr 16, 2010

Fiona Peterson wrote:

the Italian page has errors too. I must say I'm bemused... why put sub-standard text on a professional site for professional translators?

From the Italian page: "Most part of technical and scientific translators make business with translation agencies..."

It's clearly been translated from Italian by an Italian. I'm not quite sure why. It doesn't look at all professional.

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:14
English to French
+ ...
You nailed it Apr 16, 2010

Sara Freitas-Maltaverne wrote:

It's a wonderful illustration of the limitations of crowdsourcing.

I wholeheartedly agree with you. People who pretend to be translators when they clearly aren't should be exposed. Too bad it is done at the professionals' expense...

I wonder what a French heirloom looks like, knowing that the term "heirloom" usually applies to vegetables... I am no carrot, to be sure!

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes! Apr 16, 2010

It's a wonderful illustration of the limitations of crowdsourcing. Only downside is that casual observers might think *professional* translators were responsible for it.

I entirely agree...

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Crowdsourcing Proz.com's resources... Apr 16, 2010

...should it have been limited to Certified PRO people?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Tomas Apr 16, 2010

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Much of the site translations were done a few years ago already, before the PRO program started. At the time, volunteers had to be paid members, and the translations did not go "live" until they were declared good to go by the translators. At the time when I participated, there was also no crowdsourcing of any kind -- it was a volunteer effort, yes, but a controlled one. Just because Facebook's interface was done by crowdsourcing doesn't mean all volunteer-based web site interface translations are instances of crowdsourcing.

Simon Lewis
Simon Lewis  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:14
Member (2010)
Italian to English
PROs and cons Apr 16, 2010

They may well have been 'translated' by Certified PROz, but if one translates into a language that is not one's own the end result is generally garbage (vide most official translations in Italy - done by highly qualified people, no doubt, but Italian natives nonetheless).

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Sara Freitas
Sara Freitas
France
French to English
Professional ethics Apr 17, 2010

To each his own, but personally I wouldn't participate. Giving my services away for free to for-profit organizations goes against the professional code of ethics to which I adhere. There are plenty of worthy causes out there to donate to.

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Giving my services away for free... Apr 17, 2010

To each his own, but personally I wouldn't participate. Giving my services away for free to for-profit organizations goes against the professional code of ethics to which I adhere. There are plenty of worthy causes out there to donate to.

In our (Slovenian) case this is factually incorrect: we were paid in brownies. I have 200.000+ (200 kBrowniZ in short) of them (check my page). I am keeping them in my retirement fund.

"Vito Smolej asked for more": I had a weak moment years ago and asked if I could buy some time on the front page, give away to charity, spend it for a (yet another) noble cause, but the answer was negative I think - or was there no answer? I dont remember anymore.

My (our - it was a team) translation btw was spellchecked and proofread, all 90.000+ words of it (comes to about 9000€ of community work).

Regards

Vito

PS: Remembering those Sturm&Drang years, I get red to crimson ears. Judy Garland and Mickey Rooney in "Let's localize ProZ".

Oh well, let's skip the subject.

[Edited at 2010-04-17 19:04 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Proz local: use a grammar and spell checker at least

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »