Thread poster: Patricia Lane
juvera
juvera  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:40
English to Hungarian
+ ...
More to it than vegetables Apr 18, 2010

ViktoriaG wrote:
I wonder what a French heirloom looks like, knowing that the term "heirloom" usually applies to vegetables...

Eeeer... not quite. I don't dispute the inappropriateness of the actual phrase, but I have to admit, when I hear the word "heirloom" vegetables are far from my mind.
I know someone coined the heirloom vegetables expression, and it appears to be invasive, but on that basis you could use the word for pets, insects or any thing else.

Sara Freitas
Sara Freitas
France
Local time: 16:40
French to English
Vito, you misunderstand me Apr 19, 2010

Vito Smolej wrote:

Sara Freitas-Maltaverne wrote:
To each his own, but personally I wouldn't participate. Giving my services away for free to for-profit organizations goes against the professional code of ethics to which I adhere. There are plenty of worthy causes out there to donate to.

In our (Slovenian) case this is factually incorrect: we were paid in brownies. I have 200.000+ (200 kBrowniZ in short) of them (check my page). I am keeping them in my retirement fund.

"Vito Smolej asked for more": I had a weak moment years ago and asked if I could buy some time on the front page, give away to charity, spend it for a (yet another) noble cause, but the answer was negative I think - or was there no answer? I dont remember anymore.

My (our - it was a team) translation btw was spellchecked and proofread, all 90.000+ words of it (comes to about 9000€ of community work).

Regards

Vito

PS: Remembering those Sturm&Drang years, I get red to crimson ears. Judy Garland and Mickey Rooney in "Let's localize ProZ".

Oh well, let's skip the subject.

[Edited at 2010-04-17 19:04 GMT]

Vito, I don't think you understood what I wrote. I did not say anything about how Proz.com users were or were not paid for doing Proz.com work. What I *am* saying is that it is against my professional code of ethics to do work for free for any for-profit organization. Also, I only accept payment in euros. I do not accept in-kind payment for my services. First of all, I would be embarrassed to present such a case to my accountant ("Hey, a client wants to pay me in rolls of toilet paper/Amazon gift certificates/a subscription to bouquet-of-the-month...How do we enter that in the books?"), and second of all, I don't feel it is professional to accept non-professional forms of payment for my work.

Sara Freitas
Sara Freitas
France
French to English
Viktoria hit the nail on the head Apr 19, 2010

juvera wrote:

ViktoriaG wrote:
I wonder what a French heirloom looks like, knowing that the term "heirloom" usually applies to vegetables...

Eeeer... not quite. I don't dispute the inappropriateness of the actual phrase, but I have to admit, when I hear the word "heirloom" vegetables are far from my mind.
I know someone coined the heirloom vegetables expression, and it appears to be invasive, but on that basis you could use the word for pets, insects or any thing else.

I think Viktoria hit the nail on the head...the first image that popped into my mind was a ginormous, lumpy, bumpy, mottled heirloom tomato. Exactly the message you want to get across to readers looking for information on the translation industry.

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Italian page? Apr 19, 2010

Kate Chaffer wrote:

Fiona Peterson wrote:

the Italian page has errors too. I must say I'm bemused... why put sub-standard text on a professional site for professional translators?

From the Italian page: "Most part of technical and scientific translators make business with translation agencies..."

It's clearly been translated from Italian by an Italian. I'm not quite sure why. It doesn't look at all professional.

I don't understand... if it's an Italian page (meaning in Italian, I suppose), why do you quote it in English and then say it was translated from Italian by an Italian? Doesn't make sense to me...

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:40
German to English
Spell checking a rare skill Apr 19, 2010

Patricia Lane wrote:

If those who collaborate on this are not able to proofread or use a spell-checker, then I think it inappropriate they be called either "translators" or "professionals".

Judging by the number of source language artifacts and outright misspellings I see in translations lately, it appears that the ability to check spelling is not common among translators. Is it really that hard to use the built-in utilities provided by word processing programs and translation tools?

Kate Chaffer
Kate Chaffer
Italy
Member (2009)
Italian to English
English translation of Italian page Apr 19, 2010

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

[I don't understand... if it's an Italian page (meaning in Italian, I suppose), why do you quote it in English and then say it was translated from Italian by an Italian? Doesn't make sense to me...

No, it's a page about translation in Italy, written originally in Italian and then translated into English.

Paula Borges
Paula Borges  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Well Apr 19, 2010

It does bother me that Proz in Portuguese says "nativo para..." on people's profiles rather than "nativo em..." ou "nativo de..."

"nativo para Português" would be the equivalent of "native for Portuguese".

It's such a simple mistake, I hope they can fix it.

This is why I prefer it in English.

[Edited at 2010-04-19 15:18 GMT]

Edit - According to a colleague that makes sense in European Portuguese. I did not know, still sounds very odd to
... See more
It does bother me that Proz in Portuguese says "nativo para..." on people's profiles rather than "nativo em..." ou "nativo de..."

"nativo para Português" would be the equivalent of "native for Portuguese".

It's such a simple mistake, I hope they can fix it.

This is why I prefer it in English.

[Edited at 2010-04-19 15:18 GMT]

Edit - According to a colleague that makes sense in European Portuguese. I did not know, still sounds very odd to me, my apologies.

[Edited at 2010-04-19 16:17 GMT]
Collapse

Desdemone (X)
Desdemone (X)
Local time: 11:40
French to English
There are also major bloopers Apr 19, 2010

on the Germany, Argentina and Paraguay pages.
Looks bad for proz - really bad.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Proz local: use a grammar and spell checker at least

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »