Bad payers list
Thread poster: Geraldine Oudin
Geraldine Oudin
Geraldine Oudin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Japanese to French
+ ...
Apr 2, 2010

I think publishing on Proz a list of bad payers (especially in the case of translation agencies) would be more efficient than BB rating (especially as long as BB rating can't be modified less than 12 months after having been written).

Such a list would help warning collegues against bad payers, and it could also serve to put pressure on the bad payers.

Bad payers names on the list could be followed by the number of complaints/entries, and members who have complained ab
... See more
I think publishing on Proz a list of bad payers (especially in the case of translation agencies) would be more efficient than BB rating (especially as long as BB rating can't be modified less than 12 months after having been written).

Such a list would help warning collegues against bad payers, and it could also serve to put pressure on the bad payers.

Bad payers names on the list could be followed by the number of complaints/entries, and members who have complained about the same client would be able to contact each other.
Collapse

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:18
Italian to English
Explicit site policy Apr 2, 2010

Geraldine Oudin wrote:

I think publishing on Proz a list of bad payers (especially in the case of translation agencies) would be more efficient than BB rating

Geraldine, you may not be aware of the site's explicit policy on this issue, as stated in the FAQs, here: http://www.proz.com/faq/3070#3070 .

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:18
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Another site Apr 2, 2010

Dear Geraldine,
There's another site for freelance translators which exists solely to discuss the good, average or poor payment practices of translation agencies. It is possible to make new entries in it more than once a year and to search its records and request other translators to make entries about outsources in whom you may be interested.
I don't think I'm allowed to mention its name here, but please contact me personally and I'll give you the details.
Kind regards,
... See more
Dear Geraldine,
There's another site for freelance translators which exists solely to discuss the good, average or poor payment practices of translation agencies. It is possible to make new entries in it more than once a year and to search its records and request other translators to make entries about outsources in whom you may be interested.
I don't think I'm allowed to mention its name here, but please contact me personally and I'll give you the details.
Kind regards,
Jenny Forbes
Collapse

Geraldine Oudin
United Kingdom
Japanese to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not in the forum Apr 2, 2010

Russell Jones wrote:

Geraldine, you may not be aware of the site's explicit policy on this issue, as stated in the FAQs, here: http://www.proz.com/faq/3070#3070 .

Dear Russel,

The link you provided is about mentioning bad payers'names in the forum, which is not what I am suggesting.

sokolniki
sokolniki  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:18
English to Russian
+ ...
Blue Board.. Apr 2, 2010

.. contains all complaints about bad payers and bad payers' ratings, accordingly. Each time one has a potential job, from Proz or another source, it makes sense to check the agency's rating on Blue Board. Moreover, as far as I know, chronic non-payers (about 5 negative ratings but I am not sure) are banned from placing jobs on Proz. One such agency approached me directly and I decided not to work for them.

Warning: Websites with databases of good/bad paying agencies require a substa
... See more
.. contains all complaints about bad payers and bad payers' ratings, accordingly. Each time one has a potential job, from Proz or another source, it makes sense to check the agency's rating on Blue Board. Moreover, as far as I know, chronic non-payers (about 5 negative ratings but I am not sure) are banned from placing jobs on Proz. One such agency approached me directly and I decided not to work for them.

Warning: Websites with databases of good/bad paying agencies require a substantial subscription fee. I know at least a couple of such websites but I have access to Blue Board on Proz, so why pay more?
Collapse

Geraldine Oudin
United Kingdom
Japanese to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No reason to pay more Apr 2, 2010

sokolniki wrote:

Warning: Websites with databases of good/bad paying agencies require a substantial subscription fee. I know at least a couple of such websites but I have access to Blue Board on Proz, so why pay more?

I don't see any reason to pay more. I think such a feature should be implemented for free.
I don't think the BB is adequate, because at the moment it is impossible to modify one's rating less than 12 months after writing it. The problem is that some agencies behave nicely on a first project to gain your trust (at which point you may give them a positive BB rating), only to behave in the most unprofessional manner on the next project.

I have asked Proz staff to be able to edit the comment I left on an agency's BB after this happened, and I have been told that I was going to have to wait 12 months to do so. In the meanwhile, this agency can keep recruiting on Proz...
This agency had a few recent positive ratings when I decided to work for them, and other people might be waiting to be able to modify their comments.

If the BB can be improved, there is no need for a bad payers list, of course.

Alejandro Cavalitto
Alejandro Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 01:18
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
It is possible to report non-payment in the Blue Board Apr 2, 2010

Hello Geraldine,

First, let me point out that when a Blue Board entry with a LWA rating of 1 or 2 is posted, the poster has the possibility of opening a non-payment report along with the entry. The amount of non-payment reports opened on a Blue Board record determine what action is to be taken with them. These actions are ruled by Pro
... See more
Hello Geraldine,

First, let me point out that when a Blue Board entry with a LWA rating of 1 or 2 is posted, the poster has the possibility of opening a non-payment report along with the entry. The amount of non-payment reports opened on a Blue Board record determine what action is to be taken with them. These actions are ruled by ProZ.com's termination policy, http://www.proz.com/termination_policy .

Now, let me clarify some points:
- Blue Board entries can be edited or removed by the person who posted them within the 12 months following the date they were first posted, unless they have received a reply.
- If the entries have received a reply, the outsourcer must expressly agree to the removal or edition of the entry, by means of a support request.
- Twelve months after an entry is posted, another entry can be posted. You will lose the rights to edit or remove entries that are more than 12 months old.

I hope this explains. Please see these FAQs for more information: http://www.proz.com/faq/3043#3043 , http://www.proz.com/faq/3034#3034 , http://www.proz.com/faq/3031#3031 .

Best regards,
Alejandro
Collapse

Geraldine Oudin
United Kingdom
Japanese to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Dear Alejandro Apr 3, 2010

Yes, I have been told the same thing when I submitted a support ticket.

In this particuliar case, the bad payer has submitted an answer to my initial rating. Therefore, I have to either 1)Get him or her to agree for me to write the truth about them (which is not going to happen) or 2)wait for 12 months before I can change my rating.

Don't you find it totally unfair for the other Proz users who will see incorrect information on the BB in the meanwhile?

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:18
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
The problem is in your use of the Blueboard Apr 3, 2010

Geraldine Oudin wrote:
I don't think the BB is adequate, because at the moment it is impossible to modify one's rating less than 12 months after writing it. The problem is that some agencies behave nicely on a first project to gain your trust (at which point you may give them a positive BB rating), only to behave in the most unprofessional manner on the next project.

Sorry Geraldine but the problem in this case was not in the BlueBoard but in your use of it. Is one project for a new customer enough to know whether they are reliable? You added a nice rating about them after just 1 project? That does not tell much about a company's overall reliability, does it?

I must also say that I find it very good that ratings cannot be changed but after a long period. This is so exactly to protect other translators (and the Blueboard itself) from people who post a negative comment as part of their collection methods and then request to have the bad comment changed to a good one when they are paid.

This agency had a few recent positive ratings when I decided to work for them, and other people might be waiting to be able to modify their comments.

I'm affraid that with your good comment about them after just one project you contributed to the effect you find terrible: more people working for them, attracted by (sorry) irresponsibly quick Blueboard ratings.

I sincerely encourage everyone to post a comment in the Blueboard after at least a year of working for a company (or 10-15 jobs for them)!!

[Edited at 2010-04-03 07:02 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bad payers list

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »