Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
What do you think about the option to post public comments and/or questions in job postings?
Thread poster: Jeff Whittaker
Ali Bayraktar
Ali Bayraktar  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2007)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Little comments Mar 17, 2010

The suggestion is good. But posters should remain anonymous I think.

I suggest a system used by the Newspapers' web sites.
They give comment option at the end of the news article.
The similar system is used by Translation News in Proz (But together with names)

So I suggest making all posters anonymous

Example:

I can't believe my eyes. Such amount of work within ... days? And for ... per Word?
CP Member Mar 19 13:33
... See more
The suggestion is good. But posters should remain anonymous I think.

I suggest a system used by the Newspapers' web sites.
They give comment option at the end of the news article.
The similar system is used by Translation News in Proz (But together with names)

So I suggest making all posters anonymous

Example:

I can't believe my eyes. Such amount of work within ... days? And for ... per Word?
CP Member Mar 19 13:33
Like Dislike

I completely agree with Mar 19 13:33
Member Mar 19 13:57
Like Dislike

Comments will help the quality of jobs and job posters.
I really see very ridiculous rates or timelines in some of the job posts.

PS:

Job poster may also comment but he/she should also remain anonymous.
Collapse

Pablo Bouvier
Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:25
German to Spanish
+ ...
What do you think about the option to post public comments and/or questions in job postings? Mar 17, 2010

Jeff Whittaker wrote:

What do you think about the addition of the ability to post public comments and/or questions in job postings? Would this be a good or a bad idea?

[Edited at 2010-03-16 19:34 GMT]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2010-03-16 20:04 GMT]

In many previous threads we have seen that ProZ avoids any commitment that may be conflicting, as to establish a minimum price for suppliers bids, whether these prices are moral or immoral.

Therefore, why bother about this?
Decision has been already been taken.

[Editado a las 2010-03-17 18:18 GMT]

apk12
apk12  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:25
English to German
+ ...
Don`t give up that easy.... Mar 17, 2010

... In many previous threads we have seen that ProZ avoids any commitment that may be conflicting, as to establish a minimum price for suppliers bids, whether these prices are moral or immoral. - Therefore, why bother about this?
Decision has been already been taken.

Let´s not give up that easy. ProZ needs their prozians. It`s US to pay their staff`s income, not the discount outsourcers. They will have to do something earlier or later if they will want to keep their status (as a pro network, with the distinction to be "at least a bit better than GAF", e.g.). So - trying to avoid "conflicts" with job postings which are a conflict for them already just because of their pure existence would be quite destructive for themselves. Let´s not give up the hope that finally, a healthy reflex to rescue their own reputation must ease up the fear of "conflicts" at last...

[Edited at 2010-03-17 19:50 GMT]

Colin Brady
Colin Brady  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 21:25
French to English
+ ...
Thanks for posting, everyone Mar 17, 2010

I thought I would make a quick post and thank everyone for this discussion. While I'm not crazy about the initial idea of public comments on job postings, I did find some good information and ideas in some of the postings that followed.

Here are a couple of things I'm taking away (among others):

* There needs to be a clear distinction between job types (translation, editing, proofreading, etc.)

* Job posters should be "Prodded" (thanks Sheila) to enter impo
... See more
I thought I would make a quick post and thank everyone for this discussion. While I'm not crazy about the initial idea of public comments on job postings, I did find some good information and ideas in some of the postings that followed.

Here are a couple of things I'm taking away (among others):

* There needs to be a clear distinction between job types (translation, editing, proofreading, etc.)

* Job posters should be "Prodded" (thanks Sheila) to enter important information based on job type.

* More should be done to improve awareness on the issue of rates.

I've been working on some updates to the job system, and I plan on addressing a lot of these type of shortcomings of the current system.
Collapse

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:25
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Quotes Mar 17, 2010

I was also thinking about those situations where you submit a quote and then the outsourcer sends you a private e-mail: sorry, but your rate is too high for us, the highest rate we will pay is .03. We could then make a post in the job and warn others not to waste their time.

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:25
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Where have all the translators gone? Mar 18, 2010

Apparently a job was recently posted offering $1500-$2500 for 215,000 words.

Will the last paying member of this site please remember to turn off the lights...

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:25
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Note @ Colin Mar 18, 2010

Thanks for agreeing to take some of our ideas on board, Colin.

I have two other suggestions:

In the "volume and pricing" section of the job post, I personally would like to see all mention of "price" removed. It is up to us to set the price. On similar networking sites for home improvements I (as the potential client) have been asked for my "budget" - but never my "price". I think it gives entirely the wrong idea
... See more
Thanks for agreeing to take some of our ideas on board, Colin.

I have two other suggestions:

In the "volume and pricing" section of the job post, I personally would like to see all mention of "price" removed. It is up to us to set the price. On similar networking sites for home improvements I (as the potential client) have been asked for my "budget" - but never my "price". I think it gives entirely the wrong idea of our relationship when the site encourages outsourcers to adopt an "I'm boss and I'll tell you how much I'm going to pay you" role.

We (ie translators) have an area in our profiles where we can display minimum and target rates. I propose outsourcers also have a similar area in their profiles, but for maximum budgets. As Jeff says below, we waste a lot of our time quoting sensible rates for outsourcers who have no intention of paying sensible rates. This also wastes a lot of the outsourcers' time who have to sift through dozens of replies to find one that is low enough for them to consider.

Jeff Whittaker wrote:
I was also thinking about those situations where you submit a quote and then the outsourcer sends you a private e-mail: sorry, but your rate is too high for us, the highest rate we will pay is .03. We could then make a post in the job and warn others not to waste their time.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What do you think about the option to post public comments and/or questions in job postings?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »