John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:10
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Mar 13, 2010

I am wondering if thought could be given to the possiblity of including documents on job postings so that they can be previewed by bidders. I recently turned down a document because it was poorly handwritten and would take an inordinate amount of time to decipher, more than the outsourcer was willing to pay for. The next thing is its posted on the job board, and I feel sorry for the raft of bidders who have submitted a bid, sight unseen.

On another site that I am familiar with (n
... See more
I am wondering if thought could be given to the possiblity of including documents on job postings so that they can be previewed by bidders. I recently turned down a document because it was poorly handwritten and would take an inordinate amount of time to decipher, more than the outsourcer was willing to pay for. The next thing is its posted on the job board, and I feel sorry for the raft of bidders who have submitted a bid, sight unseen.

On another site that I am familiar with (not for translation) the documents (drawings in this case) can be downloaded for viewing by potential bidders. A record is kept of who downloaded the documents, available to the poster. If desired by the poster an NDA can be required to be signed (with a digitized scan of the signature) before downloading, and these NDAs are available to the poster.

I think such a system would be much fairer, instead of asking translators to bid on a document they cannot see.
Collapse

William [Bill] Gray
William [Bill] Gray  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 12:10
Member (2006)
English
+ ...
I agree... Mar 13, 2010

... with you John. I usually tell posters that I want a preview before committing myself to either price or deadline. I've been burned a few times, and will avoid it again if at all possible.

This facility for job posters would be a professional addition to the system.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 11:10
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Me too... Mar 14, 2010

... I agree with you John. I always ask for a preview, but most of the times I have no answer at all!

Mailand
Mailand  Identity Verified
Member (2009)
Italian to German
+ ...
Totally with you Mar 14, 2010

Often a poster asks for a trial translation which at least gives you an idea of what you are going to work on, but an original document to be viewed could avoid misunderstandings and surprises (mostly for the bidders...) and in the end would make things easier for the job poster as well - no missed deadlines and so on.

Alison Sabedoria (X)
Alison Sabedoria (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
And me... Mar 14, 2010

I rarely respond to job postings here for this reason. By the time it's clear what the job REALLY entails, there's been a huge waste of time on both sides. Initial clarification is sometimes not even possible when the poster requires replies through the ProZ form rather than direct contact.

Last week I enquired about a "proofreading" job, which turned out to be a complete rewriting / localisation (presumably at a proofreading fee!). Often the job as posted is totally misleading. The
... See more
I rarely respond to job postings here for this reason. By the time it's clear what the job REALLY entails, there's been a huge waste of time on both sides. Initial clarification is sometimes not even possible when the poster requires replies through the ProZ form rather than direct contact.

Last week I enquired about a "proofreading" job, which turned out to be a complete rewriting / localisation (presumably at a proofreading fee!). Often the job as posted is totally misleading. The subject field is frequently too vague or poorly assigned and some are even posted with the language pair the wrong way round!

I prefer to see the whole text before quoting a definite price. If this could be done from the outset, I'm sure it would help not only translators, but also clients, who would then only have serious bids to consider, rather than loads of "shots in the dark" to sort through.

This idea has my wholehearted support, as the extra investment on the part of the poster to comply might discourage the "fly by night" operators.

Wishing a good weekend to you all,
Alison
Collapse

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:10
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Concur Mar 14, 2010

William [Bill] Gray wrote:

I usually tell posters that I want a preview before committing myself to either price or deadline.

With John and Bill.

This would save time and misundersatndings for all concerned.

Annett Hieber
Annett Hieber  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Agree Mar 14, 2010

I can only agree to this, as I have had problems due to the fact that I could not see the document or an extract before. I also always ask for at least part of the text before committing myself.

It would be a very useful feature indeed!

Have a nice Sunday!

Annett

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 07:10
SITE STAFF
Good idea, will be incorporated Mar 15, 2010

Good idea, John, thanks. This option has been contemplated, and will be included in the job posting system in the near future.

Best regards,

Jared

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Document preview for job postings

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »