Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 03:56
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Jan 17, 2010

Many forum engines feature WYSIWYG forms.
It would be great if ProZ had one.
It would be much easier to embed links to various resources, to highlight text parts and produce better postings. Don't you think typing source code tags is... obsolete approach?
It could be like this:

or that:

These are ready-made forums templates. Why don't you (the ProZ team) just take it?

Any ideas from the support team?

And why don't we use standard (ICQ-style) smilies? I mean all in yellow. Some dark colors here, like green and blue are difficult to recognize. They are... aw... not very good...

[Редактировалось 2010-01-17 16:35 GMT]
Collapse

yanadeni (X)
yanadeni (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 20:56
French to Russian
+ ...
Yes Jan 17, 2010

It would be just great!

I'd prefer the forum be devellopped more that other features as job-connect or online billing.

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:56
Russian to English
+ ...
I think it's a waste of time Jan 18, 2010

And will just make us all spend more time on the computer rather than less (see thread on "excessive use of email") http://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/155324-internet_and_email_overuse.html

Who needs it?

Susan

[Edited at 2010-01-18 01:37 GMT]

Alessandra Martelli (X)
Alessandra Martelli (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 02:56
English to Italian
+ ...
Agree with Susan Jan 18, 2010

I think it would just be a waste of time.

Obsolete is not always bad, and typing tag codes doesn't hurt anyone.. on the other hand, I think a "fancier" interface might lead to abuses of bold, italics and other "nice" features which usually provide little-to-no improvement to the post content itself.

Moreover, I see no motive of changing emoticons and such. This is meant to be a forum for professionals, so - if changes have to be made, which is not mandatory - I'd rather
... See more
I think it would just be a waste of time.

Obsolete is not always bad, and typing tag codes doesn't hurt anyone.. on the other hand, I think a "fancier" interface might lead to abuses of bold, italics and other "nice" features which usually provide little-to-no improvement to the post content itself.

Moreover, I see no motive of changing emoticons and such. This is meant to be a forum for professionals, so - if changes have to be made, which is not mandatory - I'd rather go for some structural adjustments in the fora (example: sub-forum sections for non English fora).
Collapse

Elena Baldaeva
Elena Baldaeva

French to English
+ ...
forum topics Jan 18, 2010

It would be nice but not necessary. It would help though if it would be organized by topics something like:
Technical questions
Language questions
and so on

Sergei Leshchinsky
Ukraine
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not sure Jan 18, 2010

Alessandra Martelli wrote: typing tag codes doesn't hurt anyone.. on the other hand, I think a "fancier" interface might lead to abuses of bold, italics and other "nice" features which usually provide little-to-no improvement to the post content itself.

It took me extra 30 seconds to reduce the quote font and make the words bald.
WYSIWYG is simply faster and more intuitive.
Not everybody knows tags, but everybody has seen text editors like Word etc.
Standard smilies located at hand in a pop-up or panel are much better than non-standard ones located in a separate page.

[Редактировалось 2010-01-18 09:41 GMT]

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Don't need it Jan 18, 2010

I only use tags sparsely in forums. When I have to type one or two tags, I am quite OK with doing it by hand. Adding an interface like the ones you propose would make my screen feel very cluttered. I don't need that.

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
For the time being only BBCode is available Jan 18, 2010

Hello all,

Thanks Sergei for the suggestion. For the time being, site forums offer the possibility to use BBCode to format posts when necessary.

However, the ideas and feedback posted here will certainly be taken into account and evaluated for possible future improvements to site forums.

Have a great week!

Regards,

Lucia

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Keep it simple Jan 18, 2010

We don't need bold typeface or any other improvement. Only more interesting postings and subjects.
Regards
Heinrich

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Agree with Sergei, and... Jan 18, 2010

Sergei Leshchinsky wrote:
Many forum engines feature WYSIWYG forms. ... It would be great if ProZ had one. ... It would be much easier to embed links to various resources, to highlight text parts and produce better postings. Don't you think typing source code tags is... obsolete approach?

I have no objection to the source code tags themselves, but having to type them out manually is a little silly, IMO. A wysiwig editing field would be great addition to the ProZ.com forums.

And why don't we use standard (ICQ-style) smilies? I mean all in yellow. Some dark colors here, like green and blue are difficult to recognize.

What I would like to see is the ability to *disable* smilies in posts, so that smilies display exactly as users type them. I don't think there are "standard" smilies... different users will have grown up with different programs and will hence regard different smiley styles as standard.

Lucia Leszinsky wrote:
Thanks Sergei for the suggestion. For the time being, site forums offer the possibility to use BBCode to format posts when necessary.

I don't quite understand your response, Lucia. You seem to imply that Sergei is asking for *more* than BBCode. Well, he isn't. He is simply asking for an easier way to use the BBCode.

Heinrich Pesch wrote:
We don't need bold typeface or any other improvement. Only more interesting postings and subjects.

We already have bold typeface, Heinrich. The suggestion here isn't for the introduction of it, but for a more user-friendly way of presenting it... which IMO will improve some posts. Personally I'd probably use very little such formatting.

Standard smilies located at hand in a pop-up or panel are much better than non-standard ones located in a separate page.

Personally I would object against having a "smiley board" from where a user can easily insert a variety of smilies. Why? Because it would encourage people to use more smilies. It would encourage them to pick and choose from the available range of smilies to pretty up their posts, and that would result in meaningless smilies all over the place.

I'm in favour of a minimalistic smiley approach -- use it only when you really need to. The purpose of a smiley is to reduce the possibility of misunderstanding in an international e-communication context. Smilies should not be used as decor.

Kristina Radziulyte
Kristina Radziulyte  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Member (2006)
English to Lithuanian
+ ...

Good idea, but make it simple Jan 18, 2010

I think that an interface with basic features would be useful. By 'basic' I mean such formatting options like bold, italic, underline, hypertext, maybe align and bullets & numbering + picture insertion. Just please, no smilies.

Sergei Leshchinsky
Ukraine
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's it. Jan 18, 2010

Kristina Radziulyte wrote:
bold, italic, underline, hypertext, maybe align and bullets & numbering + picture insertion. Just please, no smilies.

But, I am not sure about "no smilies"... They must be supported, because they are needed in multicultural environment to avoid misunderstanding, but (of course) the are to be "supported", not "enforced".

As to align, it is sometimes needed to quote poetry.

I think it is wise not to limit the resources, but the way they are used. Forum must have a rich wysywig interface and strong moderation of its use (the latter is recommended to restrain, say, some smilies overuse, for instance).

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Why did you wink? Jan 18, 2010

But, I am not sure about "no smilies"... They must be supported, because they are needed in multicultural environment to avoid misunderstanding, but (of course) the are to be "supported", not "enforced".

Here is a good example of why smilies can be overused. You winked. Why?

Why does one wink? A wink can mean that the speaker is not being serious, that he is joking, that he is agreeing in a friendly way, that he is disagreeing in a friendly sort of way, that he is disagreeing but does not want to cause offense, that he is trying to address a serious issue in a friendly way, that he is sharing a joke that needs to be read between the lines or in an indirect way, and (depending on your culture) some other things as well.

In the end, the wink in your post is more ambiguous than its absence would have been. Don't you agree?

Sergei Leshchinsky
Ukraine
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
OK. Jan 18, 2010

Let it be "trying to address a serious issue in a friendly way". I winked to the work "enforce", because actually nobody can enforce using smilies. Just for contrast. Agree?

Mihai Badea (X)
Mihai Badea (X)  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
English to Romanian
+ ...
Text Formatting Toolbar Jan 18, 2010

For the Firefox users, there is an easy way to use BBCode even if they are not familiar with it: the Text Formatting Toolbar.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Better / richer forum interface needed

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »