Andrea Re
Andrea Re  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:53
English to Italian
+ ...
Dec 15, 2009

Hi there,

I am in the process of finding translators for a project, but they need to be in Europe (or at least near my time zone). At the moment I can select only the country of choice. It would be nice to be able to select "Europe" or "GMT to GMT+3" or something like that.

Cheers,

Andrea

[Edited at 2009-12-15 11:41 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-12-15 13:01 GMT]

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 22:53
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Does it help? Dec 15, 2009

I understand your point in having these people able to communicate with you via Skype, IM, etc.

One point is that most of GMT to GMT -3 is the Atlantic Ocean, but this is irrelevant.

The real issue is that each individual has their own working hours. Some are early birds, others are night owls, for the most varied reasons. You are considering the 8-to-5ers only

The best setup I had was:
- Agency at GMT -5 (US East Coast)
- Translator (me) at GMT
... See more
I understand your point in having these people able to communicate with you via Skype, IM, etc.

One point is that most of GMT to GMT -3 is the Atlantic Ocean, but this is irrelevant.

The real issue is that each individual has their own working hours. Some are early birds, others are night owls, for the most varied reasons. You are considering the 8-to-5ers only

- Translator (me) at GMT -3 (Brazil)
- Proofreader at GMT -8 (US West Coast)

When I was done translating, she had plenty of the day left to proofread, so I could pick it up early next morning for a final check, and deliver before the agency opened for the day. Unbelievably fast turnaround.

Once this proofreader went to Paris for a while, and we got the whole system mixed up!
Collapse

Andrea Re
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Whoops Dec 15, 2009

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

Corrected. I can never remember which way it goes:)

- Translator (me) at GMT -3 (Brazil)
- Proofreader at GMT -8 (US West Coast)

When I was done translating, she had plenty of the day left to proofread, so I could pick it up early next morning for a final check, and deliver before the agency opened for the day. Unbelievably fast turnaround.

Once this proofreader went to Paris for a while, and we got the whole system mixed up!

You are quite right indeed!!! In fact that was the final goal.

Andrea

[Edited at 2009-12-15 13:02 GMT]

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:53
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
What is your question, though? Dec 15, 2009

Andrea Re wrote:

Hi there,

I am in the process of finding translators for a project, but they need to be in Europe (or at least near my time zone). At the moment I can select only the country of choice. It would be nice to be able to select "Europe" or "GMT to GMT+3" or something like that.

Cheers,

Andrea

Andrea Re
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You mean... Dec 15, 2009

...what is your question?:)
As this feature is not available what do you think I am asking??;)

jyuan_us wrote:

Andrea Re wrote:

Hi there,

Cheers,

Andrea

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to select translators by continent or time zone

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »