Language pairs >Translation vs Interpreting
Thread poster: Geraldine Oudin
Geraldine Oudin
Geraldine Oudin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Japanese to French
+ ...
Nov 27, 2009

Would it be possible to make a distinction between translation language pairs and interpreting language pairs in the profile ? At present, no one can tell at first glance which services are offered in which pair, even if you have specified it.

I translate only into French, my native language. However, I interpret into Japanese and English, my working languages. As the current profile settings do not allow to make a distinction between translation and interpreting pairs, I often rec
... See more
Would it be possible to make a distinction between translation language pairs and interpreting language pairs in the profile ? At present, no one can tell at first glance which services are offered in which pair, even if you have specified it.

I translate only into French, my native language. However, I interpret into Japanese and English, my working languages. As the current profile settings do not allow to make a distinction between translation and interpreting pairs, I often receive translation work from French into English or Japanese...

Besides, I do not charge the same for one hour of translation work and one hour of interpreting work in the same pair, but this cannot be shown on my profile or in the search results, either...

[Modifié le 2009-11-28 01:48 GMT]
Collapse

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
Specifying services and rates Nov 27, 2009

Hello Geraldine,

You can specify the service(s) you provide in each language pair from the "Languages" section of your Profile updater.

Just click on "Edit" next to each language pair and select only "Translation" for Japanese to French, English to French and Portuguese to French, and "Interpreting" for French to Japanese, Japanese to English, French to English, Portuguese to English, English to J
... See more
Hello Geraldine,

You can specify the service(s) you provide in each language pair from the "Languages" section of your Profile updater.

Just click on "Edit" next to each language pair and select only "Translation" for Japanese to French, English to French and Portuguese to French, and "Interpreting" for French to Japanese, Japanese to English, French to English, Portuguese to English, English to Japanese and Portuguese to Japanese language pairs. Jobs notifications will be sent to you according to these settings.

As for rates, you can specify minimum charges depending on the service being offered (translation or interpreting) here.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Lucia
Collapse

Geraldine Oudin
Geraldine Oudin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Japanese to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
same pair, different service Nov 28, 2009

Hi Lucia, and thank you for your answer.

I am already aware of your suggestion and I have put it in practise long time ago, but I don't think that is really enough.

I think it would be nice if the potential clients could see at first glance which services are offered for which language pair in the "working languages" box which is on top left of the profile.

Even though all details are written in my PR, clients usually don't take time to read it and send r
... See more
Hi Lucia, and thank you for your answer.

I am already aware of your suggestion and I have put it in practise long time ago, but I don't think that is really enough.

I think it would be nice if the potential clients could see at first glance which services are offered for which language pair in the "working languages" box which is on top left of the profile.

Even though all details are written in my PR, clients usually don't take time to read it and send requests for services which I do not offer.
Wouldn't it be nice to have a box for translation pairs and a box for interpreting pairs? Interpreting pairs wouldn't be A>B, but AB, which would make the list much shorter and easier to brownse in some cases. It is especially important to have a shorter list when clients can chose to search for freelancers who have a certain pair as "main pair" or "top three pairs".

Then, in the "Rate" section of my profile, I can see a rate per word for each language, which is fine, and then an hourly rate. But there is no way to set a different rate for translation and interpreting in this section. At the moment I have specified a span, but prospective customers have no clue of what this means. I think it would be much better to have a "translation rates" section and an "interpreting rates" section. There would be no need for a "per word rate" in the interpreting section, either.

I don't think it is possible to make things really clear at the moment, and I understand why so many people chose not to specify their rates. It is probably better than to display rates in a way that can be difficult to understand for some viewers.

[Modifié le 2009-11-28 02:06 GMT]
Collapse

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
Thanks for the suggestions, Geraldine. Nov 28, 2009

I have added this to our backlog of ideas and suggestions for site improvement, to be evaluated for possible future implementation.

Have a great weekend.

Regards,

Lucia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Language pairs >Translation vs Interpreting

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »