Thread poster: Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 08:03
German to English
+ ...
Oct 22, 2009

Am I the only one who finds the new arrangement of the forum pages disturbing?

After using navigation on the left side for years, I find it "challenging" to have it on the right, and the page has a very unbalanced feel.

Michael Kazakov
Michael Kazakov  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 11:03
English to Russian
+ ...
Count me in Oct 22, 2009

Kevin Lossner wrote:
Am I the only one who finds the new arrangement of the forum pages disturbing?

I spent about an hour trying to fix what I thought was wrong regional settings that somehow switched from English to Hebrew....:D

I really like the new toolbar but this new arrangement is simply odd.

Stéphanie Soudais
Stéphanie Soudais  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 09:03
English to French
Yes Oct 22, 2009

Kevin Lossner wrote:

After using navigation on the left side for years, I find it "challenging" to have it on the right, and the page has a very unbalanced feel.

I feel exactly the same but I'm thinking that maybe in a few days I would get used to it...

Stéphanie

Aniello Scognamiglio (X)
Aniello Scognamiglio (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Most people just don't care! Oct 22, 2009

Kevin:

I couldn't agree more.
The ProZ development team certainly does a good job in many cases, however, from a design and navigation point of view the new "look and feel" and "navigation structure" is sort of a mess. In German I would call it "Verschlimmbesserung". My critisism may sound harsh, but millions of users can't be wrong.

Of course, one can always argue that it's a "question of taste", but in this case, basic navigation and design standards are ignore
... See more
Kevin:

I couldn't agree more.
The ProZ development team certainly does a good job in many cases, however, from a design and navigation point of view the new "look and feel" and "navigation structure" is sort of a mess. In German I would call it "Verschlimmbesserung". My critisism may sound harsh, but millions of users can't be wrong.

Of course, one can always argue that it's a "question of taste", but in this case, basic navigation and design standards are ignored, e.g. when you click on "Member activities", you have to locate "Training sessions" first, then move the mouse to the left to click on "Training sessions". In this case, navigation would be eased by displaying two menu items, i.e. "Forums" and "Online and offline events" after clicking on "Member activities", allowing the user to further 'drill down', e.g. by clicking on "Community" and picking "Forums" from the list (all menu items in one column).

By the way, I already expressed my opinion (more or less ignored) in two forums:
http://www.proz.com/post/1242157
http://www.proz.com/topic/148298?start=15

@Colin and ProZ development staff:
No offence intended, please take it as constructive critisism!
I can't go into further detail because I have to leave the office now.
Collapse

Anjo Sterringa
Anjo Sterringa  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Also disoriented Oct 22, 2009

I don't know if I automatically check what's on the left but the navigation on the right is no improvement. Can I have it on the left, please ?

Rachel Fell
Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
No, not the only one! Oct 22, 2009

Hi Kevin: as I was about to click on the title of this posting in the list on the forum page, I was actually asking myself "Why is it on the right?"!

Egidijus Slepetys
Egidijus Slepetys  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:03
German to Lithuanian
Yes Oct 22, 2009

Yes, for me disturbing too.

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
Agreed Oct 22, 2009

But I shrugged and moved on. It's typical of the way this place is "run". Improvements crying out to be made that apparently have to wait for development resources to become available (such as the whole mods and pro/non-pro questions thing), and various suggestions that may or may not be worth looking into that are resoundingly ignored by anyone in a position to do anything, and yet there is the time to switch the menu to a counter-intuitive and half-witted page position. Genius.

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Agree - would prefer links on left Oct 22, 2009

Incidentally, thanks to Aniello for teaching me the word "Verschlimmbesserung".
A late columnist for the Daily Telegraph, Patrick Hutber, invented the expression "Improvement Means Deterioration", which seems to be the case here.

Annett Hieber
Annett Hieber  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Was there anything wrong with the old design? Oct 22, 2009

I'm wondering why the change has been made at all? Was there anything wrong with
the way it was before? Then, obviously, I didn't notice.

But I'm sure the technical/design staff will make some modifications after receiving
various comments and suggestions for improvement.

Annett

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
If it ain't broke, don't fix it :-) Oct 22, 2009

Annett Hieber wrote:
But I'm sure the technical/design staff will make some modifications after receiving
various comments and suggestions for improvement.

Surely.

Trust in God. All others pay cash.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
A stupid comment Oct 22, 2009

Maybe this is a stupid comment, but don't you think that sometimes it is alright to experience a little change in the things we use every day, so that we don't get too accustomed to them? After all, the world is in permanent change...

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
I like the change Oct 22, 2009

I don't like static arrangements, and do that often around my house and office, i.e. rearranging the stuff around me.

So, I like it. Maybe I'm one of the few who do.. I also like other similar navigation changes on ProZ, because they challenge me to think and not to be mechanical.

Oh come on Kevin, Rafa Nadal has learned to be the tennis champion with his left hand, you can learn to read the text on the l
... See more
I don't like static arrangements, and do that often around my house and office, i.e. rearranging the stuff around me.

So, I like it. Maybe I'm one of the few who do.. I also like other similar navigation changes on ProZ, because they challenge me to think and not to be mechanical.

Oh come on Kevin, Rafa Nadal has learned to be the tennis champion with his left hand, you can learn to read the text on the left - hand side.
Collapse

Aniello Scognamiglio (X)
Aniello Scognamiglio (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Ahem... Oct 22, 2009

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Maybe this is a stupid comment, but don't you think that sometimes it is alright to experience a little change in the things we use every day, so that we don't get too accustomed to them? After all, the world is in permanent change...

It’s a difficult job to make standards interesting, but it is worth considering why we need a standard for web usability.

* Standards promote best practice. This is important in an area such as web usability that is still relatively young and contains many conflicting opinions on what makes a web site usable.
* Standards are independent. The guidance in standards does not represent the opinion of one company or one usability guru but presents a balanced, authoritative view.
* Standards encourage consistency. Consistency is an important factor in creating web sites that are simple to use.
* Standards mean business. Companies can ignore your research findings but they can’t ignore standards since compliance is a mandatory requirement in many contracts (especially in the EU).

http://www.userfocus.co.uk/articles/ISO23973.html

There must be a reason why usability standards are so important.

Personally, I have nothing against changes, but...
I am slightly surprised by your posting, Thomas.

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Complication? Oct 22, 2009

Aniello Scognamiglio wrote:

* Standards encourage consistency. Consistency is an important factor in creating web sites that are simple to use.

What' so complicating about changing the left-right symmetry? This kind of tasks are given to the 6-year olds when they start school and they all pass without problems.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Disoriented by new ProZ web page layout

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »