Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 19:16
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
The button? Oct 22, 2009

Eleni Makantani wrote:
a simple button that would direct readers from the proz homepage to the last answer to each topic.

You mean to: the most recent forum postings? You should have "most recent posts" in your menu on the right.

Or simply by clicking Community> Forums > in the above top menu and it redirects you automatically to the most recent postings?

[Edited at 2009-10-22 14:21 GMT]

Sandra Petch
Sandra Petch
French to English
+ ...
Reading left to right Oct 22, 2009

Could it be that people who are used to reading left to right are more thrown by the change (menus on the right side of the screen) than those who read right to left?

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:16
Swedish to English
+ ...
What are standards? Oct 22, 2009

Aniello Scognamiglio wrote:

It’s a difficult job to make standards interesting, but it is worth considering why we need a standard for web usability.

* Standards promote best practice. This is important in an area such as web usability that is still relatively young and contains many conflicting opinions on what makes a web site usable.
* Standards are independent. The guidance in standards does not represent the opinion of one company or one usability guru but presents a balanced, authoritative view.
* Standards encourage consistency. Consistency is an important factor in creating web sites that are simple to use.
* Standards mean business. Companies can ignore your research findings but they can’t ignore standards since compliance is a mandatory requirement in many contracts (especially in the EU).

http://www.userfocus.co.uk/articles/ISO23973.html

The standards referred to here are standards related to the basics of web design and development, but have very little to do with positioning of menus, etc. which can vary from site to site depending on audience, purpose, etc. They have nothing whatsoever to do with sites staying "the same" forever.

For example, they relate to things like not using tables for layout, using the alt tag to facilitate for viewers who use speech reading, using semantic tags (strong not b for bold text), etc.

More info about W3C standards here.

I assume ProZ's insight team (assuming they have one) has done some research using some focus groups before making this change. If not, I strongly suggest they do, but personally I have a tendency to focus on content which is positioned up and to the right.

Aniello Scognamiglio (X)
Aniello Scognamiglio (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Usability and design Oct 22, 2009

Usability is a term used to denote the ease with which people can employ a particular tool or other human-made object in order to achieve a particular goal. Usability can also refer to the methods of measuring usability and the study of the principles behind an object's perceived efficiency or elegance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usability

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 15:16
Portuguese to English
+ ...
I vote for a compromise Oct 23, 2009

Not left, not right...

How about in the middle?

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:16
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
The best would be to leave it as a choice Oct 23, 2009

Would it be hard to let the user configure the layout?
We can already do some of that by choosing what is displayed on the homepage - I know, that is more about filtering content, but still...
Could not be a switch between two stylesheets or something based on the user's own setting?
That way people can configure the menus to the left or to the right, or switch them every and now for a brain exercise (or make a selection called "random" or "surprise me!" for those people ... See more
Would it be hard to let the user configure the layout?
We can already do some of that by choosing what is displayed on the homepage - I know, that is more about filtering content, but still...
Could not be a switch between two stylesheets or something based on the user's own setting?
That way people can configure the menus to the left or to the right, or switch them every and now for a brain exercise (or make a selection called "random" or "surprise me!" for those people ).

But seriously, would it be difficult to implement user control over the menu positioning?

Katalin
Collapse

David Russi
David Russi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:16
English to Spanish
+ ...
On either side, it's a waste of screen real estate Oct 23, 2009

Just look at what it does, it takes up a huge chunk of your screen that the minute you scroll a bit, is just dead space. The same thing is now happening on the Kudoz answer pages, a fifth of the space on screen is devoted to a menu with half the options being for the somewhat lame GBK project (at least in Spanish).

I'm sure it's a good feature for someone...

Paola Dentifrigi
Paola Dentifrigi  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
leftist Oct 23, 2009

I prefer the left hand side. It'd be nice, however, to have all the most recents posts displayed when I click on "most recent posts".

Paola

Teresa Mozo
Teresa Mozo  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
With Katalin Oct 23, 2009

Could we pleeeeease have a choice?

polyglot45
polyglot45
English to French
+ ...
The new layout is ghastly ! Oct 23, 2009

I have to either move my seat or move my screen to take it in properly and, when I'm working, I really do not have time for such luxuries.

Whoever made this change should go back to the drawing board and reverse it.

Change for change's sake - what a pity when there are so many really important things that need to be done.

Glad to know that some people have so much spare time on their hands .....

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Like supermarkets?? Oct 23, 2009

Was the change made with the same philosophy in mind as is used by supermarkets, perhaps? You know, the way they often and annoyingly rearrange the store so that where the carrots used to be you now find shampoo and bath oil, in the (mistaken?) belief that it will make you buy things you wouldn't otherwise have bought, coming home with a bag of shampoo and forgetting the carrots??
Maybe Proz is hoping to get users to look at parts of the site they don't usually view? Anyhow, I've got used
... See more
Was the change made with the same philosophy in mind as is used by supermarkets, perhaps? You know, the way they often and annoyingly rearrange the store so that where the carrots used to be you now find shampoo and bath oil, in the (mistaken?) belief that it will make you buy things you wouldn't otherwise have bought, coming home with a bag of shampoo and forgetting the carrots??
Maybe Proz is hoping to get users to look at parts of the site they don't usually view? Anyhow, I've got used to the new layout now. We are such sheep!
Regards,
Jenny
Collapse

paula arturo
paula arturo  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:16
Spanish to English
+ ...
“There is nothing wrong with change, if it is in the right direction” Oct 23, 2009

This thread was fun to read! @Lingua 5B, @Kevin, and @Charlie, LOL!

I’m with Thomas on this one. I don’t visit this site as often as I’d like to, but one of the things I like about it is that every time I do visit it there’s something different. This time it was good different!

Rachel Fell
Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
In fact... Oct 23, 2009

it makes me feel lop-sided at times

Arnaud HERVE
Arnaud HERVE  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
There is a new layout? Oct 24, 2009

I hadn't even noticed that.

Ali Bayraktar
Ali Bayraktar  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2007)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Site Staff, please let us choose Oct 26, 2009

Just put an option in Forum Settings which would say "Choose layout" 1- Navigation Links on the right, 2-Navigation Links on the left.

And let us choose the one we would like to see.

And I noticed that there was something similar in KudoZ, if you are planning to change it's layout too, then please consider the same request for KudoZ also.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Disoriented by new ProZ web page layout

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »