Spain
Local time: 13:38
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
I like them and... Oct 22, 2009

I´m with Tomás.

Think in positive

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

don't you think that sometimes it is alright to experience a little change in the things we use every day, so that we don't get too accustomed to them?

since this changes are fantastic for our brain not to fall into Alzheimer

Greetings,

Gemma

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 12:38
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Let's scramble the Windows menus! Oct 22, 2009

I remember a conversation with a developer of a document management system at a former employer of mine here in Germany. The company made a big point of selling its software based on the consistent paradigm of design and its user-friendliness. One day I was testing a new version and wanted to print a document. Uh oh. No Print function under the file menu. How odd. Then I noticed all print functions had been moved to the Edit menu (this is what they call German programmer's logic).

I
... See more
I remember a conversation with a developer of a document management system at a former employer of mine here in Germany. The company made a big point of selling its software based on the consistent paradigm of design and its user-friendliness. One day I was testing a new version and wanted to print a document. Uh oh. No Print function under the file menu. How odd. Then I noticed all print functions had been moved to the Edit menu (this is what they call German programmer's logic).

I called the developer responsible, who thereupon became quite abusive with me for reminding him of standards and basic principles of usability. He too felt that it was necessary to mix things up a bit to keep them "interesting". Really, the man needed to get a life if all he could do was jerk around like that with basic functions. His employer agreed with that assessment soon after and he was forced to move on.

Edited because I still haven't learned to type!

[Edited at 2009-10-22 12:47 GMT]
Collapse

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
Likewise Oct 22, 2009

Kevin Lossner wrote:

[Edited at 2009-10-22 12:09 GMT]

Me neither. Thing is, after my morning coffee, I like to rebuild my keyboard, which I do blindfold, in order to ensure that the order of the keys is entirely random and different every day. I find the change refreshing and stimulating. If you don't, you are a reactionary dullard with no zest for life.

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Bad comparison Oct 22, 2009

Charlie Bavington wrote:

Me neither. Thing is, after my morning coffee, I like to rebuild my keyboard, which I do blindfold, in order to ensure that the order of the keys is entirely random and different every day. I find the change refreshing and stimulating. If you don't, you are a reactionary dullard with no zest for life.

Sorry Charlie, if this simple left-right change of the perfectly equal symmetry ( the mirror effect) is as perplexing for you as randomly changed keys on the keyboard, I suggest you to visit a neurologist, ASAP!

Geraldine Oudin
Geraldine Oudin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Japanese to French
+ ...
It's a cultural thing Oct 22, 2009

My native language reads from left to right, therefore I feel more comfortable with links on the left side.
I remember being taught that at Uni when I took a course about the anthropology of images and images analysis.
I am sure people whose languages read from right to left enjoy having the links on the right, but even though I am used to read from right to left in Japanese, I just can't help it.
I would feel much better if the links went back to the left.

... See more
My native language reads from left to right, therefore I feel more comfortable with links on the left side.
I remember being taught that at Uni when I took a course about the anthropology of images and images analysis.
I am sure people whose languages read from right to left enjoy having the links on the right, but even though I am used to read from right to left in Japanese, I just can't help it.
I would feel much better if the links went back to the left.

http://geraldineoudin.com

[Modifié le 2009-10-22 12:48 GMT]
Collapse

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Bingo! Oct 22, 2009

Charlie Bavington wrote:
I find the change refreshing and stimulating. If you don't, you are a reactionary dullard with no zest for life.

Yep. You've got me there, Charlie!

Aniello Scognamiglio (X)
Aniello Scognamiglio (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Brilliant, Charlie! Oct 22, 2009

Charlie Bavington wrote:

Kevin Lossner wrote:

[Edited at 2009-10-22 12:09 GMT]

What about a comparison with cars?

Charlie Bavington
French to English
A piece of personal trivia Oct 22, 2009

Aniello Scognamiglio wrote:

Whenever I hire a left-hand drive car, by the end of the first day, my left hand is a painful, bleeding mess of smashed knuckles. This is the result, naturally, of instinctively moving my left hand in order to change gear and put the handbrake on, thereby repeatedly crashing my hand into the door.

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
The cars- Charlie drives on the left side without probs! Oct 22, 2009

Aniello Scognamiglio wrote:

A great one! What happened to me once is that I drove a British-designed car with the steering wheel on the right-hand side on a road in France ( non-British rules).. It was OK, but I kept leaning my head to the left and searching for the gearstick on the door...

Charlie Bavington
French to English
Bad assumption Oct 22, 2009

Lingua 5B wrote:

Charlie Bavington wrote:

Sorry Charlie, if this simple left-right change of the perfectly equal symmetry ( the mirror effect) is as perplexing for you as randomly changed keys on the keyboard, I suggest you to visit a neurologist, ASAP!

You've made rather a large assumption there. I'll leave you to work out what that is :even bigger lol:
Edit to add that our simultaneous postings above seem to have highlighted a fundamental misconception about how my particular brain is wired :more lols than I can fit on the page:

[Edited at 2009-10-22 13:18 GMT]

Andreas Nieckele
Andreas Nieckele  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:38
English to Portuguese
Completely unrelated observation Oct 22, 2009

I can't understand how the British (and others) manage to switch gears using the left hand. Since I'm right-handed (as most people are), I feel like my left hand completely lacks the necessary coordination for the task.

[Edited at 2009-10-22 13:19 GMT]

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Practice and habituation Oct 22, 2009

Andreas Nieckele wrote:

I can't understand how the British (and others) manage to switch gears using the left hand. Since I'm right-handed (as most people are), I feel like my left hand completely lacks the necessary coordination for the task.

I am right-handed as well, and haven't had problems with the British car... ( what I wrote above was a joke, the driving was surprisingly smooth)

You must have *some* coordination in your left hand, or else you wouldn't be able to type with both hands. It's just that your right hand is habitually dominant. That can also change, it's possible.

Charlie Bavington
French to English
So, consider steering... Oct 22, 2009

Andreas Nieckele wrote:

A fair point. So, given that most people are right handed, if you were designing, from scratch, half a ton of solid metal to travel, on occasion, at speeds well in excess of 100 km/hr, but which required the driver to sometimes only use one hand to guide this deadly projectile, which would be the obvious choice of hand to use:
a) the uncoordinated left hand
b) the perfectly controlled hand that most people use for most tasks requiring accurate control?

(I will now promise to stay on topic)

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
On topic Oct 22, 2009

On topic: I can confirm and report that I'm already habituated to this layout, and that having the old one back now would get me into a new adjusting process.

Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Greece
Local time: 14:38
English to Greek
+ ...
A suggestion Oct 22, 2009

Personally, I prefer the old form. I would have liked to be given the chance to choose which layout suits me most. And I don't see the reason why they had to change something that worked fine.

There is, however, something missing from the forums (or at least something which I haven't found yet - if that's the case, I apologise): a simple button that would direct readers from the proz homepage to the last answer to each topic.

And I don't agree that there should be cha
... See more
Personally, I prefer the old form. I would have liked to be given the chance to choose which layout suits me most. And I don't see the reason why they had to change something that worked fine.

There is, however, something missing from the forums (or at least something which I haven't found yet - if that's the case, I apologise): a simple button that would direct readers from the proz homepage to the last answer to each topic.

And I don't agree that there should be change just for the sake of change. How about change for the sake of improvement?
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Disoriented by new ProZ web page layout

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »