Thread poster: inkweaver
inkweaver
inkweaver  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:10
French to German
+ ...
Oct 20, 2009

I just noticed that the forum navigation menu is now on the right hand side.
I find this most annoying, since I am used to reading from left to right and I see no sense in that. Or is this due to a change in my settings? If there is any way I can change it back to its previous position on the left, I would be grateful if somebody could explain how this is done.

It may be just a minor thing, but I would prefer to have it back on the other side.

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
I absolutely agree Oct 20, 2009

Menus located at the left side are much more convenient for people who read and write from left to right.

Moreover, with the menus on the right side the main window is moved to the extreme left, therefore it is uncomfortable to read.

An option for using the old menus would be much appreciated.

Natalia

[Edited at 2009-10-20 11:06 GMT]

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Not uncomfortable... Oct 20, 2009

.. I think it's just because we aren't adjusted to it and are conversely adjusted to reading the forums on the right-hand side of the screen.

It's about habituation.

[Edited at 2009-10-20 11:27 GMT]

Andreas Nieckele
Andreas Nieckele  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 22:10
English to Portuguese
Agree Oct 20, 2009

Yes, I agree. I noticed this yesterday and was annoyed too.

Moreover, I think this goes against most usability and design studies/rules. If I'm not mistaken, menus should always be placed on the left or at the top, because of how we naturally read from left to right, top to bottom.

Aniello Scognamiglio (X)
Aniello Scognamiglio (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Not a good change from a usability point of view! Oct 20, 2009

Top and/or left-hand navigation

During the early years of the Web, site navigation was often in the form of a bar across the top of each site page. This is still a very common practice, particularly with smaller sites.

More recently, there has been a move to left-hand navigation (sometimes in conjunction with a top navigation bar).

All Web users, including those with disabilities, are assisted when the site navigation is where they expect it to be
... See more
Top and/or left-hand navigation

During the early years of the Web, site navigation was often in the form of a bar across the top of each site page. This is still a very common practice, particularly with smaller sites.

More recently, there has been a move to left-hand navigation (sometimes in conjunction with a top navigation bar).

All Web users, including those with disabilities, are assisted when the site navigation is where they expect it to be and in general that means the top or left side of the page.
Global and local navigation

Many sites now provide global (or primary) navigation to the main areas of the site and local navigation within each area of the site.

On some sites the global navigation is in a bar at the top of the page and the local navigation for each site area is in a column on the left, or occasionally the right, of the page. On other sites, the global and local navigation are both presented in the left hand column.

When global and local navigation are incorporated into a single navigation column, the usual default setting is to display only the global navigation, or top-level choices. When one of the global areas is selected the navigation bar expands to include the local navigation within that area. The left navigation column will sometimes expand further to incorporate the choices available at deeper levels of the site.

The presentation of global and local navigation choices within the same column allows them to be easily associated by the user, which may benefit some people with cognitive or learning difficulties. A long left-hand navigation column however, can cause difficulties for some assistive technology users. Without an adequate way of bypassing the navigation, a physically impaired user who is dependent on a single switching device, maybe be forced to click through many links before getting to the page content they are seeking.

At this stage, it appears that many assistive technology users are more comfortable with the presentation of global navigation at the top of the page and local navigation in a left-hand column.
http://www.usability.com.au/resources/menus-links.cfm

Aniello:
And, in terms of navigation and design, it doesn't make sense at all to have the menu list on the right-hand side (e.g. forums interface) or on the left-hand side (e.g. KudoZ interface).

The same holds true for http://www.proz.com/topic/148298

If ProZ wants to improve design and navigation why not ask the people who use the site?

Edited for typo

[Edited at 2009-10-20 11:59 GMT]
Collapse

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:10
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Can we *please* have a choice?! Oct 20, 2009

hi all,

I must say that I find the navigation on the right extremely annoying, as I read from left to right. As I understand that those reading from right to left might appreciate the change, I suggest a *customize* option.

My impression is that not only the navigation was moved, but also simplified... to the point that the Forums about ProZ.com are now all compressed together (was looking for this thread and it took me ages to dig it out)

not user-friendly
... See more
hi all,

I must say that I find the navigation on the right extremely annoying, as I read from left to right. As I understand that those reading from right to left might appreciate the change, I suggest a *customize* option.

My impression is that not only the navigation was moved, but also simplified... to the point that the Forums about ProZ.com are now all compressed together (was looking for this thread and it took me ages to dig it out)

not user-friendly at all.

Especially for those, who do not track much, as I have been doing for a while. Once the thread is gone from the main page it's a time-consuming job to spot it again, the most recent posts not helping if the thread is a few days old.

Giuliana
Collapse

Steffen Walter
Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Submitted support ticket Oct 20, 2009

Giuliana Buscaglione wrote:

hi all,

not user-friendly at all.

Especially for those, who do not track much, as I have been doing for a while. Once the thread is gone from the main page it's a time-consuming job to spot it again, the most recent posts not helping if the thread is a few days old.

Giuliana

Hi Giuliana,

I agree with most if not all points made by you and the other contributors to this thread and have just submitted a related support ticket.

Steffen

Colin Brady
Colin Brady  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 22:10
French to English
+ ...
Thanks for the feedback! Oct 20, 2009

Hi All,

Thanks for posting your feedback, I will take it into consideration as I am currently working on site navigation.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Forum navigation menu

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »