Ivana Bjelac  Identity Verified
Croatia
Local time: 12:04
English to Croatian
+ ...
Croatian and Serbian similarities Jan 23, 2010

jokerman wrote:

Srdjan Stepanovic wrote:
I think it unnecessary to use this language in proz directories and kudoz questions.
Srdjan

Acctually, I think that just the opposite is the case. These languages are extremely similar to each other and IMHO it would be very useful and sensible to keep Serbo-Croat as an option and to include all glossary entries made from kudoz questions for Bosnian, Croatian and Serbian into that ONE glossary for Serbo-Croat. .............

igor

Serbian and Croatian are similar languages, but you obscure their differences by focusing on their similarities.
You probably would not do this, for example, in discussing Swedish and Norwegian languages, which are more similar than Serbian and Croatian; no one would combine them as Swedo-Norwegian.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
jokerman
jokerman
Germany
Member (2008)
English to German
+ ...
Oh dear... Jan 25, 2010

Ivana Bjelac wrote:

...Swedish and Norwegian languages, which are more similar than Serbian and Croatian; no one would combine them as Swedo-Norwegian.

this is along the line with an article I read in a newspaper a few years ago, mentioning one of those 'new national linguists' from Croatia (don't remember his name any more) who argued that English and German are more similar than Croatian and Serbian.

Honestly, there are things and people one just can't take seriousely - just too ridiculous.

Ivana Bjelac wrote:
Serbian and Croatian are similar languages, but you obscure their differences by focusing on their similarities.

Yes, that might be true indeed.

So, are them two kiddos (Croatian and Serbian) too similar to be considered different or are they too different to be considered same? Apparently it's a matter of perspective - and reminds of the pupular question about the 'actualy non-existing difference': Is the glass half-full or half-empty?.

Well, while other experts are continousely (starting from about 20 years ago) discussing this theoretical question from a historical, ethnological, philosophical and patroitic points of view comming from all different hemispheres of the world)), I'd prefer to dedicate my time to my businness, with my agency keeping offering language services into Serbo-Croatian (or Croato-Serbian) whenever it's appropriate and is to our clients' best benefit. And believe me, over here, outside the narrow national borders, the demand for this language is large.

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Heh Jan 25, 2010

jokerman wrote:
one of those 'new national linguists' from Croatia (don't remember his name any more) who argued that English and German are more similar than Croatian and Serbian.

Please DO find his name, I'd like to send him a box of chocolates.

Dragomir Kovacevic
Dragomir Kovacevic  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to Serbian
+ ...
Štokavski Jan 25, 2010

candies might go to this one, better!
http://govori.tripod.com/index.htm

Lingua 5B wrote:

jokerman wrote:
one of those 'new national linguists' from Croatia (don't remember his name any more) who argued that English and German are more similar than Croatian and Serbian.

Please DO find his name, I'd like to send him a box of chocolates.

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
"Raped" language Jan 25, 2010

Language is indeed a small abused child in the hands of politically-obsessed people.

Martina Pokupec (X)
Martina Pokupec (X)  Identity Verified
Croatia
English to Croatian
+ ...
I see Nov 17, 2010

there are still job ads demanding translations into Serbo-Croatian...

Maybe I'm too young to be a part of the Yugonostalgic sentiment, but the fact of the matter is that Serbian and Croatian are too different languages as far as translating into a standard language goes.

I would be shocked to see Serbian in an official document, website, book translation..in Croatia just as I would react to see something translated in a Croatian dialect.

I think linguists s
... See more
there are still job ads demanding translations into Serbo-Croatian...

Maybe I'm too young to be a part of the Yugonostalgic sentiment, but the fact of the matter is that Serbian and Croatian are too different languages as far as translating into a standard language goes.

I would be shocked to see Serbian in an official document, website, book translation..in Croatia just as I would react to see something translated in a Croatian dialect.

I think linguists should know their language standards and translate accordingly, when the client isn't asking for a particular dialect or style.

If it were a matter of understanding than everybody could be translators: it wouldn't matter how something is translated, but that everyone understands... Doesn't this attitude oppose what translation skills are all about?
Collapse

Iva Halbauer
Iva Halbauer  Identity Verified
Croatia
Croatian to English
+ ...
It is not fair to call this a political issue Dec 14, 2010

History and politics aside, this is a serious linguistic issue.
There is SIMPLY NO SUCH THING as Croat-Serbian and Serbo-Croatian language.
It was made artificially and it still exists artificially only because people do not care or do not want to care.
Language is alive - it develops, grows, changes. People who lived in ex-Yu 20 years ago simply can not claim to be able to translate 100% correctly, accurately and CONTEMPORARILY from or into one of the above languages just be
... See more
It was made artificially and it still exists artificially only because people do not care or do not want to care.
Language is alive - it develops, grows, changes. People who lived in ex-Yu 20 years ago simply can not claim to be able to translate 100% correctly, accurately and CONTEMPORARILY from or into one of the above languages just because they "understand it".
Then there is a question of personal BUSINESS ETHICS, too.
I am a native Croatian, was born in Yugoslavia, had to learn Serbian and Cyrillic alphabet in school - but I would never claim I can speak Serbian or Bosnian, I would never accept such a job and I would never go to Serbian or Bosnian KudoZ pages and collect points there.

Regards to all!
Collapse

Martina Pokupec (X)
Martina Pokupec (X)  Identity Verified
Croatia
English to Croatian
+ ...
Agree! Dec 20, 2010

Iva Halbauer wrote:

Language is alive - it develops, grows, changes. People who lived in ex-Yu 20 years ago simply can not claim to be able to translate 100% correctly, accurately and CONTEMPORARILY from or into one of the above languages just because they "understand it".
Then there is a question of personal BUSINESS ETHICS, too.
I am a native Croatian, was born in Yugoslavia, had to learn Serbian and Cyrillic alphabet in school - but I would never claim I can speak Serbian or Bosnian, I would never accept such a job and I would never go to Serbian or Bosnian KudoZ pages and collect points there.

Regards to all!

I completely agree!!!

Iva, you've pinpointed the issue here.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Serbo-Croat language

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »