jokerman
Germany
Local time: 09:12
Member (2008)
English to German
+ ...
one for the road... Oct 23, 2009

John Farebrother wrote:

You have to use language that meets your client's expectations/needs. What this discussion has shown is that in some cases that will be modern official Serbian or Croatian, and sometimes not. Sometimes it will be a dialect that can justifiably be called Serbo-Croat.

agree with that one.

The different perspective might be comming from the fact that we live in different societies - the 'natives' in their native countries on the Balkans and us 'Fremdarbeiter' elsewhere. From what I can/could see in all those native countries, many there are very bothered about the purity of their languages (and sometimes even so much that it gets ridicolous, as we all might know). What they don't understand is that we are not.

Actually I live in Germany and most of my fiends and acquintancies are Germans. Without going too far into detail of how that comes, I meet new people from the above mentioned 'native' contries on a regular basis (usually advanced students and/or similar who come to Germany for a few weeks and/or months). I sometimes take them with me to a cafe or to a bar where I meet my German friends. Nine times out of ten, the topic 'languages' will be brought up and nine times out of ten, the newly arrived boyo will start explaining how different his language is from the other two (or three, whichever you prefer) - along with the explanation of the history of the south slavic groups starting back in the fifth century or so.

Once I am alone with the Germans again, their (and mine) reaction is - you guessed it - *rolleyes*

Nobody cares over here, you see.

[Bearbeitet am 2009-10-23 21:22 GMT]

PeregrineFalcon
PeregrineFalcon
Croatia
English to Croatian
Dragomire, Oct 23, 2009

I don't know why would this religious organization (SIL - Summer Institute of Linguistic) which is, actually, only a firm whose line of business is translating and education (and there are hundreds of other organizations and firms in that lines of business (homepage link: http://www.sil.org/sil/) be more relevant source than American Congress Library) (although, I have to admit that I am not competent to say who... See more
I don't know why would this religious organization (SIL - Summer Institute of Linguistic) which is, actually, only a firm whose line of business is translating and education (and there are hundreds of other organizations and firms in that lines of business (homepage link: http://www.sil.org/sil/) be more relevant source than American Congress Library) (although, I have to admit that I am not competent to say who is relevant; but I know that they are wrong).

You said:

"Caretaking business of burying, that started here and on HR and SR forum previously, is so evidently misshaped. It is like burying ourselves, and more specifically, those colleagues who accept jobs in that pair. I DO NOT believe that those colleagues do not ask clarification about the final destination of the translation; the lack of this requirement is professionally absurd. But, do we have to anticipate and cut out the language pair. At least 3-4 jobs in En-SC combination appeared on this site since the moment this discussion began."

Burying which colleagues? I was so "lucky" to get some of works of such translators in my hands, and it was always a catastrophe. When I read such texts I get into a state in which I don't know should I cry or should I laugh. I know that my translations into Serbian, although I understand it better than some Serbs do, would be hilarious too, and that is why I would never embarrass myself by offering such work to any customer. I know my limits, that is why I only translate from English to Croatian, not from Croatian into English, neither from English into Serbian and Bosnian. I respect my colleagues from Serbia and Bosnia and their languages, and I would never massacre their languages just to make few more cents. And I see that most of them feel the same about Croatian language too and that makes me respect them even more.

Too many times by now words like seat have been translated wrongly to "sjedište", which would be correct in Serbian and Bosnian, but in Croatian it would mean a place where some headquarters, or some firm are situated, The right translation into Croatian would be sjedalo. And this is only one example of numerous words that, although we write them in the same way and read them in the same way mean something totally different in our languages (you can find a small part of that list in my earlier post). Croats do not know what is dockan, esnaf and hundreds or even maybe thousands of other words (I have never tried to count them). Some words are used only for special purposes: we (in Croatian,use word svjetlost when we talk about natural phenomenon or in physics or in poetry, otherwise you should use word svjetlo (in Serbian, they use svetlost for everything. Sjenka (shadow) has poetic connotation in Croatian, otherwise it should be sjena. Similar thing is with words đavo and vrag (devil). Mixing them would affect the stile and the atmosphere of the text. An there are piles and piles of similar examples. It would take a book to explain those things.

By the way, there are still people who claim to be Yugoslavs and the only homeland they recognize is nonexistent Yugoslavia (a very small group of people). Some of them live in Croatia, Serbia and Bosnia, and some live abroad. They might cling to the idea of reviving the language that has never really existed - Serbo-Croatian/Croato-Serbian, but others...

@ jokerman

text you have put there

("Sav originalni materijal priložen Wikipediji je "Slobodan Sadržaj", definisan GNU Slobodnom Dokumentacionom Dozvolom, što znači da se može slobodno upotrebljavati, izmeniti, kopirati, i distribuirati, uz uslov da bilo koja kopija, modifikacija ili izmena ne sme stavljati dodatne restrikcije na sadržaj (tj. mora biti izdata pod istom dozvolom).")

is mostly in Serbian: definisan, dokumentacionom, izmeniti, uslov, izmena, ne sme, izdata are Serbian words. definiran, dokumentacijskom, izmijeniti, uvjet, izmjena, ne smije, izdana are Croatian words, but this example is not very good for illustration of the problem people would only think that the author is illiterate and laugh. In some cases differences are of such character that they could be dangerous if someone wouldn't think of that writing some technical manual or medical text (or at least those texts might be intelligible). Differences are especially big in technical, medical, scientific, administrative and legal vocabularies (but also in the others), and it is not a new thing it was always the case.

I have lost too much time on needless explanations. I came back only to give the link I pasted in my last post. So I will only read from now on because I have already said enough:-).

[Edited at 2009-10-23 23:10 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-10-23 23:16 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-10-23 23:32 GMT]
Collapse

alz
alz  Identity Verified
Croatia
English to Croatian
+ ...
fine then Oct 23, 2009

jokerman wrote:

An excerpt from the page quoted in my previous post (http://sh.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia):

"Sav originalni materijal priložen Wikipediji je "Slobodan Sadržaj", definisan GNU Slobodnom Dokumentacionom Dozvolom, što znači da se može slobodno upotrebljavati, izmeniti, kopirati, i distribuirati, uz uslov da bilo koja kopija, modifikacija ili izmena ne sme stavljati dodatne restrikcije na sadržaj (tj. mora biti izdata pod istom dozvolom)."

'izmeniti' and 'uslov' and 'distribuirati' and 'mora biti': 4 terms and/or wordings, of which 2 nowadays are considered rather Croatian and another 2 nowadays are considered rather Serbian - all in one sentence!

And nobody bothers that they are mixed up and everybody understands perfectly, don't they?

[Bearbeitet am 2009-10-23 20:37 GMT]

If this is the Serbo-Croatian you are advocating, fine then:

from a professional translator is expected that he knows the standard target language well and that he/she provides the translations acording to it.

In your example sentence, as in the whole text of the link you provided, none of the (once) valid standards of SC was respected . And as you stated "nobody bothers that they are mixed up and everybody understands perfectly". Who cares! Everything can, everything goes! Who cares about the grammar, syntax, ortography and dictionaries; they are only good for libraries anyway. Who cares about the proofreaders, who cares about the professional translators (they are too expensive anyway)! WELCOME AMATEURS!

jokerman wrote:
I live in Germany and most of my fiends and acquintancies are Germans. Without going too far into detail of how that comes, I meet new people from the above mentioned 'native' contries on a regular basis (usually advanced students and/or similar who come to Germany for a few weeks and/or months). I sometimes take them with me to a cafe or to a bar where I meet my German friends. Nine times out of ten, the topic 'languages' will be brought up and nine times out of ten, the newly arrived boy will start explaining how different his language is from the other two (or three, whichever you prefer). Once I am alone with the Germans again, their (and mine) reaction is - you guessed it - *rolleyes*. Nobody cares over here, you see.

Maybe the end-clients and end-users of your services do care, do not underestimate them.

[Edited at 2009-10-23 23:14 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-10-23 23:21 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-10-24 07:36 GMT]

John Farebrother
John Farebrother  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
National identity Oct 24, 2009

jokerman wrote:

Nine times out of ten, the topic 'languages' will be brought up and nine times out of ten, the newly arrived boyo will start explaining how different his language is from the other two (or three, whichever you prefer) - along with the explanation of the history of the south slavic groups starting back in the fifth century or so.

Once I am alone with the Germans again, their (and mine) reaction is - you guessed it - *rolleyes*

One of the reasons foreigners find this discussion so bizarre is that for us the name of our language is far less important as a component of national identity. Americans and Australians happily speak English, without this detracting from their own identity as Americans and Australians.
The causes of this national crisis of identity are no secret; indeed the former Yugoslavia went through several such crises in the last century, each resulting in a 'new' society with a 'new' (read 'true') language to go with it.
Whether or not the current standard dialects are the definitive versions remains to be seen.

[Edited at 2009-10-24 07:33 GMT]

Dragomir Kovacevic
Dragomir Kovacevic  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to Serbian
+ ...
Registration Authority for ISO 639-3 - SIL yes Oct 24, 2009

SiviSokole,

In the web page of Library of Congress >> Standards - Registration Authority at http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-2/

in the bottom of it, stands a link for ISO 639-3 Registration Authority Home at the link http://www.sil.org/iso639-3/ - I quoted to you yesterday.
<
... See more
SiviSokole,

In the web page of Library of Congress >> Standards - Registration Authority at http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-2/

in the bottom of it, stands a link for ISO 639-3 Registration Authority Home at the link http://www.sil.org/iso639-3/ - I quoted to you yesterday.

Entering into this page, one can read:
"....This is the official site of the ISO 639-3 Registration Authority and thus is the only one authorized by ISO."

Therefore, your comment about a religious NGO without any authority in this matter, does not hold. The Lib. of Congress' Reg. Auth. engages various institutes for this kind of job.

PeregrineFalcon wrote:

I don't know why would this religious organization (SIL - Summer Institute of Linguistic) which is, actually, only a firm whose line of business is translating and education (and there are hundreds of other organizations and firms in that lines of business (homepage link: http://www.sil.org/sil/) be more relevant source than American Congress Library) (although, I have to admit that I am not competent to say who is relevant; but I know that they are wrong).

[Edited at 2009-10-24 09:08 GMT]
Collapse

jokerman
jokerman
Germany
Member (2008)
English to German
+ ...
... Oct 24, 2009

but this example is not very good for illustration of the problem people would only think that the author is illiterate

I was awaitnig this argument about 'illiterate' from the moment I wrote the above - so thanks for the bite

you see, the above sentence can be written in Serbo-Croatian in two different ways (as you are suggesting yourself):

1. Sav originalni materijal priložen Wikipediji je "Slobodan Sadržaj", definisan GNU Slobodnom Dokumentacionom Dozvolom, što znači da se može slobodno upotrebljavati, izmeniti, kopirati, i distribuirati, uz uslov da bilo koja kopija, modifikacija ili izmena ne sme stavljati dodatne restrikcije na sadržaj (tj. mora biti izdata pod istom dozvolom) (this is the original Serbo-Croatian version from Wikipedia)

or

2. Sav originalni materijal priložen Wikipediji je "Slobodan Sadržaj", definiran GNU Slobodnom Dokumentacijskom Dozvolom, što znači da se može slobodno upotrebljavati, izmijeniti, kopirati, i distribuirati, uz uvijet da bilo koja kopija, modifikacija ili izmjena ne smije stavljati dodatne restrikcije na sadržaj (tj. mora biti izdana pod istom dozvolom) (this would be your Croatian version according to your reply)

Now, as you can see yourself, the difference is tiny and I understand both versions perfectly. I would also argue that most people from Bosnia, Croatia and Serbia would do so, too. I understand that you might not understand it or consider it badly written, but I can not agree with your statement that those who easily understand both versions are illiterate. Actually just the opposite - I would argue that whoever does not understand any of the two versions above should be considered half-litterate (at least).

On a little bit off-topic-side again: As is obvious from the above, the difference between the two version is tiny (marked bold) and I would indeed argue that the one is not a diffrent language but rather a dialect of the other. Actually, any translation into most other dialects of the standard Croatian and the standard Serbian would result in a significantly grater difference than is the case with te two versions above.

Maybe the end-clients and end-users of your services do care, do not underestimate them.

The above sentence can, of course, be translated into an entirely different way and I would not be surprised if some of the 'new linguists' translated it as:

"cijelovito izvorno tvorivo dano u obol Wikipediji...."

but that is NOT what my clients want nor what my typical end-users would like to read (or even understand properly).

jokerman
jokerman
Germany
Member (2008)
English to German
+ ...
.... Oct 24, 2009

PeregrineFalcon wrote:

[According to jokerman...]

... Croatian, Serbian and Bosnian are ONLY spoken in their countries where they are official languages,

Yes, I think that you could sum it up in that way indeed.

Outside Croatia, most Croats would not use (or even understand) 'brzojav' for telephone. If you don't like that example, 'tipkovnica' is another one. For most of us 'Gastarbajters' that has always been - and most likely will remain - 'tastatura'.

Also, outside Bosnia, most of its citizens won't 'posalamiti' someone, but they will rather 'pozdraviti' them (engl. ' to greet').

In Serbia, the language has not changed that much in the past few years, but I assume that a careful observer of the situation will easily find some terms which mostly "ONLY" Serbs in Serbia use.

These are just basic examples, the list could fill an entire book, too (books seem to be filled easily nowadays as you can see )

...and citizens of other countries don't think that they are real languages and that they should exist.

In reality, citizens of other countries - at least in those countries that I have seen and those citizens who I know (rather numerous) - have nothing against Bosnian, Croatian and Serbian and I know only very few people who think that these languages should not exist. Actually - the citizens in other countries simply don't care.

And that is what I meant when in one of my previous posts I said that "The world is much more than your own village".

English and German are also spoken only in countries where they are official languages. So, we should do the same with those languages: people from UK, USA, Canada and Australia should do what the most of world thinks they should do: call their languages English, American and Australian, and people from Germany, Austria and Switzerland should accept that German language spoken in those countries should be renamed into German, Austrian and Swiss.

People from UK, USA, Canada and Australia speak the same language - English. There are local and/or country-specific varieties and they call them "dialects". I am rather confident that nowadays there are religios sects or assotiations who claim that these languages should be considered separate languages and should be called 'American', 'Australian' etc. , but in these countries their members and supporters are considered 'harmless excentrics' rather than being the majority of the population. Getting the point?

jokerman
jokerman
Germany
Member (2008)
English to German
+ ...
thank you very much... Oct 24, 2009

Lingua 5B wrote:

It seems to me this whole discussion revolves around what's politically correct vs. the basic linguistic common sense. Let me explain:

Many people here who made their points thus far are from Croatia or Serbia and use strict Croatian and Serbian language standards at all linguistic levels, and that's fine.

However, for example, people in Bosnia use a variant that could be described as some sort of the mixture of both, when it comes to phrasing, wording, terminology, slang, word formation, etc etc.. Therefore, from the linguistic point of view, this mixture can be freely and absolutely labeled as " Serbo-Croatian", but it's not politically correct, because the political and administrative name of of this language is "Bosnian". When it comes to this dialectical mixture / variant, I know it will be inconceivable to the Serbian and Croatian speakers who have left their bitter comments on this topic and who obviously see things strictly from their own perspective. A little odd taking into account they are linguists and should be aware of linguistic mixtures in certain regions around them ( but you can only perceive them if you are not blinded with extralinguistic matters). This linguistic mixture has been created through cultural and linguistic ways, not political. Therefore, some people use it naturally and as a standard in their own region ( nothing to do with politics at all, you are just projecting). Now, calling those people "klingons", "sentimental romantics" etc, is a discrimination and a direct attack on linguistic and cultural freedom. People( masses) don't *choose* to speak a certain variant, the variant chooses them.

There are even regions where people speak a mixture of Ekavian and Iekavian and where it is a standard, for example some regions at the south of Serbia bordering with Montenegro. People in the RS have Cyrillic + Iekavian as an official standard. Etc, I could go on forever about the blendings on various linguistic levels, but my point is that the people who use them are not aliens, like it was nicely implied by some on here.

I have come to conclude that the *naming* and labeling appear to be a problem in the light of this topic, and some people have a particularly negative attitude toward certain names ( e.g. SC). You can change the name of the cake, but the flavour will still be the same.

[Edited at 2009-10-22 12:21 GMT]

... for the common sense!

alz
alz  Identity Verified
Croatia
English to Croatian
+ ...
the flavour of the cake Oct 25, 2009

jokerman wrote:

Outside Croatia, most Croats would not use (or even understand) 'brzojav' for telephone. If you don't like that example, 'tipkovnica' is another one. For most of us 'Gastarbajters' that has always been - and most likely will remain - 'tastatura'.

You must be very young and you probably meet only the people of your age. Brzojav is telegramm and not telephone, again.
"Tastatura" is of italian origin (Klaić, 1982) and was used only for the keyboard of musical instruments. The typewriters always had "tipkovnica". And typewriting was always "tipkati" (at least in Cro). With the appearence of PCs somebody translated "keyboard" wrongly as tastatura, fortunately not as "klavijatura".

jokerman wrote:
The above sentence can, of course, be translated into an entirely different way and I would not be surprised if some of the 'new linguists' translated it as:

"cijelovito izvorno tvorivo dano u obol Wikipediji...."

but that is NOT what my clients want nor what my typical end-users would like to read (or even understand properly).

I would like to comment this but I do not recognise what language is meant here: SC, S, C, B or some else?

jokerman wrote:
... the citizens in other countries simply don't care.

And that is what I meant when in one of my previous posts I said that "The world is much more than your own village".

Sure! But who is going to care if we, whether Serbs, Croats or Bosnian, do not care by ourselves????

You cannot appreciate the world appropriately if you do not know/learn your own village properly!

Lingua 5B wrote:

You can change the name of the cake, but the flavour will still be the same.

This is a BIG BIG true! But the problem doesn't arise when you sell the same cake under 2-3 different names, but when you start to sell different cakes under one single name.

And this is the point here in this thread.

[Edited at 2009-10-25 22:23 GMT]

Ivana Bjelac
Ivana Bjelac  Identity Verified
Croatia
English to Croatian
+ ...
languages and pecularities Oct 26, 2009

Henry Hinds wrote:
.................... but is it not feasible to still keep them in one bag? Or should they be broken up for considerations other than national pride?

It has nothing to do with "national pride".

In our part of the world, with all our little differences and pecularities, we do not break up languages into Canadian or USA, or Mexican, Argentinian, Peruvian, Chilean, Columbian, etc. They are all English or Spanish.

In your part of the world languages are very much broken into US English / GB English, Canadian French as opposed to the French in France, etc. Is it not feasible to still keep them in one bag ( English and French) ?

Ivana Bjelac
Croatia
English to Croatian
+ ...
knowing nothing but... Oct 26, 2009

Yasutomo Kanazawa wrote:
I know nothing about Serbo-Croat, but..

isn't this language still used in old documents, for example like Latin?

From your subject title one can see that you indeed are not informed.

Croatian is an official language in Republic of Croatia and has been used as such in writing, speaking and other communication in the past and is still used nowdays.

Ivana Bjelac
Croatia
English to Croatian
+ ...
re: Differences Oct 26, 2009

John Farebrother wrote:

Differences

One of the reasons foreigners find this discussion so bizarre is that for us the name of our language is far less important as a component of national identity. Americans and Australians happily speak English, without this detracting from their own identity as Americans and Australians.

What about US English / GB English, Canadian French as opposed to the French in France, etc.

If everyone is so happy speaking Englishisn't it bizarre that most of the clients insist on distinctions US vs. GB English or Canadian vs. France French?

Ana Irena Hudi
Ana Irena Hudi
English to Croatian
+ ...
that's a really good point... Oct 30, 2009

Ivana Bjelac wrote:

If everyone is so happy speaking Englishisn't it bizarre that most of the clients insist on distinctions US vs. GB English or Canadian vs. France French?

Well done!

[Edited at 2009-10-30 10:23 GMT]

Ivana Kahle
Ivana Kahle  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
German to Croatian
+ ...
Monolingual dictionaries - useful after all Oct 30, 2009

Hello again!

It's seems that most of the translators DO HAVE (and hopefully use) monolingual dictionaries - just have a look at the results of the most recent poll:

How many monolingual dictionaries do you have?
Poll by Nikki Graham
1-3 53.2%
4-8 29.9%
None 5.7%
9-15 5.6%
>15 4.2%
Other - N/A (please share) 1.3%

Total votes: 1299

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
An excerpt Oct 30, 2009

Since this is a linguistic discussion on Serbo-Croatian language, and we are obviously limited with the English forum rule - we must only post in English- it prevents us from posting the actual examples in the Serbo-Croatian language. Now, not only providing examples in the language that's being discussed is the best way to illustrate points, it is also an obligatory way of discussing linguistic topics among serious linguistics professionals. Therefore, I'm afraid we fell into a paradoxical and ... See more
Since this is a linguistic discussion on Serbo-Croatian language, and we are obviously limited with the English forum rule - we must only post in English- it prevents us from posting the actual examples in the Serbo-Croatian language. Now, not only providing examples in the language that's being discussed is the best way to illustrate points, it is also an obligatory way of discussing linguistic topics among serious linguistics professionals. Therefore, I'm afraid we fell into a paradoxical and awkward situation here.

Nonetheless, I can keep on talking analogically comparing and contrasting British English vs. American English, as we have a similar situation with the SC language. Here is an interesting excerpt I would like to share with you( I hope the moderators accept and keep this on the topic, as it's very educational, plus relates very much to the topic) :

From "Language Made Plain" by Anthony Burgess:

A language is a system of communication used within a particular social group. Inevitably, the emotions created by group loyalty get in the way of objective judgments about language. When we think we are making such a judgment, we are often merely making a statement about our prejudices. It is highly instructive to examine these occasionally. I myself have very powerful prejudices about what I call Americanisms. I see red whenever I read a certain popular women columnist in a certain popular daily paper. I wait with a kind of fascinated horror for her to use the locution 'I guess' as in 'I guess he really loves you after all' or 'I guess you'd better get yourself a new boy-friend'. I see in this form the essence of Americanism, a threat to the British Way of Life. But this is obviously nonsense, and I know it. I know that 'I guess' is at least as old as Chaucer, pure British English, something sent over in the Mayflower. But, like most of us, I do not really like submitting to reason; I much prefer blind prejudice. And so I stoutly condemn 'I guess' as an American importation and its use by a British writer as a betrayal of the traditions of my national group.

So condemnations can seem virtuous, because patriotism - which means loyalty to the national group - is a noble word. While virtue burns in the mind, adrenaline courses round the body and makes us feel good. Reason never has this exhilarating chemical effect.

From "Language Made Plain" by Anthony Burgess

[Edited at 2009-10-30 22:30 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Serbo-Croat language

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »