Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:22
German to English
+ ...
Sep 25, 2009

This has happened to me occasionally, but today I think I know why:
When I followed forum topic 136480 (about the virtual conference on 30 September), the 3rd page (unlike the 1st-2nd) was so wide that I could only see about 60% of it without scrolling sideways (despite using over 95% of my screen width)
I think the reason was the screen shot posted by Drew on 14 September - I think its width must be about 1200 pixels. My screen width was 1024 (it's a laptop, 15-inch screen).
<
... See more
This has happened to me occasionally, but today I think I know why:
When I followed forum topic 136480 (about the virtual conference on 30 September), the 3rd page (unlike the 1st-2nd) was so wide that I could only see about 60% of it without scrolling sideways (despite using over 95% of my screen width)
I think the reason was the screen shot posted by Drew on 14 September - I think its width must be about 1200 pixels. My screen width was 1024 (it's a laptop, 15-inch screen).

Therefore my suggestion: when a screenshot (or indeed any image) is posted to a forum, please edit it (by resampling or cutting) down to a width that the great majority of PCs can cope with: I suggest maximum 600 pixels. The change to Proz would be a reminder to this effect when somebody makes a posting to a forum. The user could be given an automatic reminder if the posting includes an image that is very wide.

Oliver
Collapse

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Extremely wide left column on forum page Sep 25, 2009

I always do this. I used to make the width 700 pixels, but with the very wide left column we now have on the Forum pages (why?), 600 would probably be about right now.

Forum pages are also made very wide when someone posts a long URL on them.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 03:22
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
I don't see it, because... Sep 25, 2009

Oliver Walter wrote:

I agree, it's only good manners. However, I don't see such large images as large as that, because I use Opera with the "fit to width" setting which resizes large images automatically (a click of the mouse shows me the original size if I want to see it).

Oliver Walter
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A point for Opera Sep 26, 2009

Samuel Murray wrote:
I agree, it's only good manners. However, I don't see such large images as large as that, because I use Opera with the "fit to width" setting which resizes large images automatically (a click of the mouse shows me the original size if I want to see it).

That looks like a useful feature. I'm using FireFox 3.0, which appears to have no such feature. The nearest is Ctrl + or Ctrl - (or Ctrl mousewheel) which zooms the whole page in or out, including the text, which becomes far too small to read when such a wide image is fully visible.

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
Re-sized image Sep 26, 2009

Hello all,

Thanks for bringing this into my attention. The image inserted by Drew in his forum post has been re-sized and now you should be able to see the entire thread without the need to scroll sideways.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Lucia

Oliver Walter
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Sep 26, 2009

Lucia Leszinsky wrote:
The image inserted by Drew in his forum post has been re-sized and now you should be able to see the entire thread without the need to scroll sideways.

Thank you Lucia - the whole thread now fits into my screen width; I think some other members will also appreciate this.
I hope you can still consider my suggestion for including a reminder when making a posting to a forum.

Oliver

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Extremely wide forum page

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »