New options for opting in or out of forum post notifications (Staff: forum dashboard released)
Thread poster: Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:58
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Sep 8, 2009

When I see a forum post that is potentially interesting, I click on it and may or may not contribute to it. Later, that thread will still be around but I have no way of knowing whether anything of personal interest to me has been added and so very often I don't look again. That's probably fine, normally - the world can get along without my full attention, after all.

A few times lately though I've had a second look, as
... See more
When I see a forum post that is potentially interesting, I click on it and may or may not contribute to it. Later, that thread will still be around but I have no way of knowing whether anything of personal interest to me has been added and so very often I don't look again. That's probably fine, normally - the world can get along without my full attention, after all.

A few times lately though I've had a second look, as the thread has obviously been attracting a lot of attention, only to find that someone has specifically referred to what I said, and even asked me questions. I don't know how often I've failed to give a reply, but I certainly hope it isn't often.

I know there's a "notify me of all posts" box, but it takes a second screen load to check that and sometimes, if it's a thread that's attracting a great deal of attention and is only of marginal interest to me, I don't really want to receive notifications of each and every post. What I would really like is a 3-part notification:-

1. notify me of all posts, regardless of whether I want to contribute. (This is already implemented);

2. give me the option to opt in/out of notifications when I post a reply;

3. if I post and choose NOT to be notified, notify me anyway if a subsequent poster quotes from my text.

Are these ideas technically possible and seen as an improvement by others?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-09-29 19:06 GMT]
Collapse

Bruce Gordon
Bruce Gordon  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
I agree entirely Sep 8, 2009

This sounds like a very sensible suggestion to me.

I've made comments on threads in the past, where I really didn't think long and hard about whether my comments might be quoted, or even misinterpreted, by someone later on in the thread.

A classic case, potentially, of things coming back to haunt you later...

Vitals
Vitals  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 08:58
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
Exactly... Sep 8, 2009

I agree with that. Later on when you want to go back the right thread, it's gone in the sea of new forums started everyday... If I had a notification, I would be able to go back to the same OLD forum whenever I want.

Great idea!

Sheila Wilson
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It makes you wonder ... Sep 8, 2009

Bruce Gordon wrote:

my comments might be quoted, or even misinterpreted, by someone later on in the thread.

A classic case, potentially, of things coming back to haunt you later...

but I hope it's not that bad.

Thanks for your support, Bruce (always supposing you have come back to read this)

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:58
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Well, it would not always work anyway Sep 9, 2009

As for getting a notification, when someone quotes you or asks you a question - I have seen many times people quoting others just by simply copying the text (as opposed to using the Quote button), and addressing other thread contributors within their own posting - it would not be possible to detect these by the system anyway.

Katalin

Katalin Horváth McClure
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Forum Dashboard would be useful, though Sep 9, 2009

I have another suggestion regarding forum notifications.
I would like to have a switch somewhere to temporarily turn off all notifications that I set up for forums.
What I mean is when I go on vacation, I use the KudoZ dashboard to switch off all KudoZ notifications at once. There is a button at the top, that switches everything off, without modifying the individual settings. I also use the Job Dashboard to do the same for job notifications. This is very convenient, as my mailbox doe
... See more
I have another suggestion regarding forum notifications.
I would like to have a switch somewhere to temporarily turn off all notifications that I set up for forums.
What I mean is when I go on vacation, I use the KudoZ dashboard to switch off all KudoZ notifications at once. There is a button at the top, that switches everything off, without modifying the individual settings. I also use the Job Dashboard to do the same for job notifications. This is very convenient, as my mailbox does not fill up while I am away, and when I am back from vacation, I can just turn that top switch back on, and I will get all the KudoZ and job notifications I have set up.

I would like to get a similar switch (Dashboard) for Forum notifications. As it is now, I have to go to all forums that I track, and switch off the tracking there, one by one.
At least I am not aware of any single summary page where I could do it all at once. I am not even sure there is a page that lists what Forums I am currently tracking.

To Staff: Would it be possible to create a Forum Dashboard?

Katalin

[Edited at 2009-09-09 01:41 GMT]
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@ Katalin Sep 9, 2009

Yes, I agree that the notification when you quote would not catch everything - this "@" form of addressing someone is very current, for example. That's why I think there should be a 3-tier system of notifications.

I agree completely with your idea of turning them all off at one go. I use the dashboard to do that with KudoZ and jobs. If you track many forum threads it certainly must be difficult if not impossible to turn them all off individually.

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 02:58
SITE STAFF
Agree, a forum dashboard would be nice Sep 9, 2009

Hello all,

I like the idea of a forum dashboard, and agree with Katalin on idea number three for the notifications-- this does not sound like something that could be done effectively.

I'll start working on the dashboard and post back when it's ready. Thanks!

Best regards,

Jared

Sheila Wilson
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Jared Sep 9, 2009

Hello Jared;

Thanks on behalf of us all for your response. I look forward to the implementation.

Sheila

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
SITE STAFF
Forum dashboard released, please have a look Sep 29, 2009

Hi all,

The new forum dashboard is now available at http://www.proz.com/dashboard/forum/

You can also reach the dashboard by going to the "Settings" tab in your profile, where you will find your job and KudoZ dashboards as well.

To see a brief introduction to the
... See more
Hi all,

The new forum dashboard is now available at http://www.proz.com/dashboard/forum/

You can also reach the dashboard by going to the "Settings" tab in your profile, where you will find your job and KudoZ dashboards as well.

To see a brief introduction to the forum dashboard and its features, check out this video.

Best regards,

Jared
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Love the video! Sep 29, 2009

Hello Jared,

Thanks for the dashboard - I'm sure it'll prove very useful.

In my case, it shows that once tracking, always tracking! I am currently tracking 59 different threads. The dashboard only shows me the thread title, not the forum it is in, and frankly, I have no memory of what most of them are/were about.

Would it be possible to include the forum name and a date? Either the date I switched tracking on, or the date of the latest post to this thread
... See more
Hello Jared,

Thanks for the dashboard - I'm sure it'll prove very useful.

In my case, it shows that once tracking, always tracking! I am currently tracking 59 different threads. The dashboard only shows me the thread title, not the forum it is in, and frankly, I have no memory of what most of them are/were about.

Would it be possible to include the forum name and a date? Either the date I switched tracking on, or the date of the latest post to this thread would be useful to enable identification of threads that are well past being of any interest. This wasn't an issue in the past, as a lapsed thread wouldn't generate any notifications, but now we risk not being able to see the wood for the trees.

By the way, although I realise that some of my original suggestions just aren't feasible, I would like to repeat one of them now:-

At the moment, the two actions of (a) tracking a thread, and (b) posting a reply, are separate. This means that two different actions are necessary if you want to post and ensure you receive notification of further posts.
My proposal is to:-
(a) retain the "track this thread" option on the left of the screen,
(b) introduce a choice of buttons to use when posting a thread - one to post without turning on tracking; one to post and track the thread.

Anyway, thanks again and keep up the good work.
Collapse

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:58
French to German
+ ...
My personal thank Sep 29, 2009

to you, Jared, for the helpful video.

Katalin Horváth McClure
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Great, thank you - now next step Sep 30, 2009

Hi Jared,
Thanks for getting this implemented, it certainly makes life easier.
Now, if you have still time to tinker with this, the next thing would be to add a feature to the "Forums you are tracking" tab, so we could also add forums, not only remove them from tracking. (Perhaps a pull-down list or something?)
Katalin

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
SITE STAFF
Tracking options Sep 30, 2009

Hi Katalin,

OK. Note that you can add those forums for tracking from the Homepage forums tab as well.

Sheila, I'll probably need a bit more time to work on your suggestions. Thanks for the patience!

Best regards,

Jared

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
Whoa, something's wrong! att Jared Oct 1, 2009

I'm posting here instead of submitting a support ticket, in case others also have the problem.

I went to my profile settings and found that every forum that I did NOT want on the homepage was already checked. I went through and systematically changed it back to be the way I want (and the way it used to be, e.g., yesterday). But now my home page is still listing all the forums I DON'T WANT.

Please help!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New options for opting in or out of forum post notifications (Staff: forum dashboard released)

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »