Thread poster: Jessica Noyes
Jessica Noyes
Jessica Noyes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:25
Spanish to English
+ ...
Apr 7, 2020

I am wondering about the value of adding a video to my profile. I would appreciate hearing from people with experience, pro and con. I would also like to know what makes a good profile video.

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:25
Danish to English
+ ...
I'd never watch it Apr 7, 2020

Most people don't have the aptitude for and experience in making video presentations, so most such amateur videos end up being toe-curlingly bad, boring, long-winded or embarrassing. I never watch that type of video. I don't have the patience. But I only represent myself.

Helene Carrasco-Nabih
Helene Carrasco-Nabih  Identity Verified
Morocco
Member (2018)
German to French
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Video in profile Apr 7, 2020

I would suggest that you make a professional video about your experience as a translator. I am a translator and painter. Recently I took part in an exhibition in Rabat, Morocco. Without a professional videographer it would have been impossible to report in a beneficial way about my exhibition.
... See more
I would suggest that you make a professional video about your experience as a translator. I am a translator and painter. Recently I took part in an exhibition in Rabat, Morocco. Without a professional videographer it would have been impossible to report in a beneficial way about my exhibition.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=100201644989708&id=100197954990077&aymt_tip=1&placement=aymt_boost_post_with_ads_intent_tip&entry_point_details={"aymt_tip":1}¬if_id=1586190077721788¬if_t=aymt_upsell_tip
Collapse

Jessica Noyes
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Decision not to post video Apr 7, 2020

Helene Carrasco-Nabih wrote:

Without a professional videographer it would have been impossible to report in a beneficial way about my exhibition.

I looked at your video, but don't see it on your proz.com profile. Is there a reason that you didn't post it?

Elena Feriani
Elena Feriani
Italy
Local time: 11:25
French to Italian
+ ...
Puppy video accident Apr 8, 2020

Jessica Noyes wrote:

I am wondering about the value of adding a video to my profile. I would appreciate hearing from people with experience, pro and con. I would also like to know what makes a good profile video.

I've added a video of a puppy to test the feature and now I can't find a way to take it down.

Jessica Noyes
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Puppy Apr 21, 2020

That is indeed a cute puppy, not to mention the flock of sheep with their bells. If you can't figure out how to take down the video, you can always study up for a new specialty, i.e. animals. Then the video could win you a whole new client group---kennel clubs, veterinarians, animal rescue organizations, and all the rest.

Elena Feriani

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
The puppy. Apr 21, 2020

I agree, the puppy is super cute, that head tilt is everything. No need to take it down.

Elena Feriani

Elena Feriani
Elena Feriani
Italy
French to Italian
+ ...
puppy update Apr 26, 2020

Jessica Noyes wrote:

If you can't figure out how to take down the video, you can always study up for a new specialty, i.e. animals. Then the video could win you a whole new client group---kennel clubs, veterinarians, animal rescue organizations, and all the rest.

That's an excellent idea, but I finally figured out how to erase it (from Greetings settings, of course). The video is still on youtube for her many fans to watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G55GYbGfyws

Becca Resnik
Becca Resnik  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
+ ...
Just uploaded a video May 17, 2020

I've been wondering about this for a bit, and I ended up making and uploading one today. I don't really expect to get much out of it, but I'll post here if I ever hear feedback from clients on it. For me, I thought it seemed like a way to add some elements that can't be communicated as well through the text in the Bio section. Besides, being new to ProZ, I'm trying to capitalize on every edge I can get. It seems like an insurmountable task to gain a good directory position (I know how and am wor... See more
I've been wondering about this for a bit, and I ended up making and uploading one today. I don't really expect to get much out of it, but I'll post here if I ever hear feedback from clients on it. For me, I thought it seemed like a way to add some elements that can't be communicated as well through the text in the Bio section. Besides, being new to ProZ, I'm trying to capitalize on every edge I can get. It seems like an insurmountable task to gain a good directory position (I know how and am working on it, but things like KudoZ take serious [passage of] time), so if someone stumbles upon me, I need to communicate in any way possible why they should contract me!Collapse

Jessica Noyes
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Your video May 17, 2020

Becca Resnik wrote:

I thought it seemed like a way to add some elements that can't be communicated as well through the text in the Bio section.

I took a look at your video and think your presentation is excellent. Being able to see you, tools in hand, is worth a thousand words.

Jesús de Cos
Xiaoju (AJ) Zhang

Becca Resnik
United States
German to English
+ ...
Thank you! May 17, 2020

Jessica Noyes wrote:

Becca Resnik wrote:

I thought it seemed like a way to add some elements that can't be communicated as well through the text in the Bio section.

I took a look at your video and think your presentation is excellent. Being able to see you, tools in hand, is worth a thousand words.

Thank you SO much! I really appreciate that! I am planning to get it done professionally at some point, so hopefully, that'll make it even better.

Becca Resnik
United States
German to English
+ ...
Video quality May 17, 2020

I re-uploaded the video just now. A tip for others who want to upload, as I'm new to this and have to imagine that others are as well: I'm hosting the video on YouTube and just linking it to ProZ. I had uploaded the video as an AVI, which it turns out has a max quality of 480p, so it looked and sounded really terrible. I re-uploaded as an MOV, and while it could certainly be better, it's a major improvement.

[Edited at 2020-05-17 21:40 GMT]

Philippe Locquet
Philippe Locquet  Identity Verified
Portugal
English to French
+ ...
My personal feedback Oct 29, 2021

Jessica Noyes wrote:

Thanks for posting that topic. I was actually thinking of updating my Profile Video and give some feedback about the feature.
The feature was released in 2018 and all the information/tips was published on the ProZ blog https://go.proz.com/blog/profile-video-greetings-for-freelancers
I made a profile video at the time and a tutorial on how to make a profile video.
Here is my feedback on the whole topic:
_My profile video has nearly 7000 views
_It is hard to tell how many outsourcers made a decision on this, but some did write to me about it positively (LSPs I was already working with).
Should it be recommended? Yes!
It can be very hard, especially if you are shy. But you can use some screenshots, a pro voice, a text-to-speech engine (you’ll have to do third-person approach if you go with these options).

Philippe Locquet
Philippe Locquet  Identity Verified
Portugal
English to French
+ ...
Making a YouTube #shorts is a good idea Oct 29, 2021

Becca Resnik wrote:

I re-uploaded the video just now. A tip for others who want to upload, as I'm new to this and have to imagine that others are as well: I'm hosting the video on YouTube and just linking it to ProZ. I had uploaded the video as an AVI, which it turns out has a max quality of 480p, so it looked and sounded really terrible. I re-uploaded as an MOV, and while it could certainly be better, it's a major improvement.

[Edited at 2020-05-17 21:40 GMT]

This profile video of yours is great.
What I would suggest for 2021 is making a YouTube short. When I have the time, my video profile needs updating as my career has evolved since that video.
YouTube has launched shorts videos as an answer to TikTok. These videos need to be less than 60 seconds in length and be in the vertical Smartphone format. (if you want to see an example of a video on the translation topic, here is one I made to explain what an xliff is: https://youtu.be/cjBOXcHXTkM)
Since it’s new, YouTube algorithm pushes it a little. Since it’s short, people are likely to watch it until the end. Outsourcers that use the ProZ app on the train won’t have to change the orientation of their phone to watch your profile video etc.
Some requirements:
_Video size (extremely important): 540x960 (vertical)
_Your video title should have “#shorts” written in it
_You can add a custom thumbnail, but it won’t be used yet when the video is accessed from a Smartphone.
Smartphones are good enough these days to have reasonable audio and video quality. I would recommend having the smartphone stable on a tripod or any contraption you can think of as long as the mic holes are left unobstructed. I suggest you spend some time on lighting (nothing fancy, good exterior daylight is excellent if you don’t have noise around you). And off-course, rehearse your script (better than reading it in front of the camera, if you can).
That’s what I can think of for late 2021.
Hope this will be useful 😊

Becca Resnik
United States
German to English
+ ...
. Oct 29, 2021

Philippe Locquet wrote:

This profile video of yours is great.
What I would suggest for 2021 is making a YouTube short. When I have the time, my video profile needs updating as my career has evolved since that video.
YouTube has launched shorts videos as an answer to TikTok. These videos need to be less than 60 seconds in length and be in the vertical Smartphone format. (if you want to see an example of a video on the translation topic, here is one I made to explain what an xliff is: https://youtu.be/cjBOXcHXTkM)
Since it’s new, YouTube algorithm pushes it a little. Since it’s short, people are likely to watch it until the end. Outsourcers that use the ProZ app on the train won’t have to change the orientation of their phone to watch your profile video etc.
Some requirements:
_Video size (extremely important): 540x960 (vertical)
_Your video title should have “#shorts” written in it
_You can add a custom thumbnail, but it won’t be used yet when the video is accessed from a Smartphone.
Smartphones are good enough these days to have reasonable audio and video quality. I would recommend having the smartphone stable on a tripod or any contraption you can think of as long as the mic holes are left unobstructed. I suggest you spend some time on lighting (nothing fancy, good exterior daylight is excellent if you don’t have noise around you). And off-course, rehearse your script (better than reading it in front of the camera, if you can).
That’s what I can think of for late 2021.
Hope this will be useful 😊

Thank you so much for the kind words and for sharing this advice! I'm planning a full revamp of my website, profiles, etc. within the next couple years and will make sure to incorporate it!

Philippe Locquet

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Video in profile

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »