Sarah Wachilonga
Sarah Wachilonga  Identity Verified
Kenya
Local time: 18:47
English to Swahili
+ ...
Nov 30, 2010

Hi everyone,
I am a new proz.com member, I have read a lot in the forum on how to get started. Among the suggestions given is that I have to submit my application letters to as many companies as possible. I am however having problems on how to do this, do I have to open the companies profile one by one and submit my letter? and how do I know if that company deals with my language pairs? I would also like some genuine suggestions on how to improve my profile.
Please advise me, t
... See more
Hi everyone,
I am a new proz.com member, I have read a lot in the forum on how to get started. Among the suggestions given is that I have to submit my application letters to as many companies as possible. I am however having problems on how to do this, do I have to open the companies profile one by one and submit my letter? and how do I know if that company deals with my language pairs? I would also like some genuine suggestions on how to improve my profile.
Please advise me, thank you all.
Sarah.
Collapse

Matthew Nashaat

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
ProZ.com winning strategies Dec 1, 2010

Hello Sarah,

First of all, thanks for joining ProZ.com! Membership will give you visibility to potential clients. However, there are a few other aspects to keep in mind to help you do more with that visibility.

The first thing you should know is that the main channel to get jobs at ProZ.com are direct searches outsourcers conduct in the directory, and not contacting potential clients yourself (not to
... See more
Hello Sarah,

First of all, thanks for joining ProZ.com! Membership will give you visibility to potential clients. However, there are a few other aspects to keep in mind to help you do more with that visibility.

The first thing you should know is that the main channel to get jobs at ProZ.com are direct searches outsourcers conduct in the directory, and not contacting potential clients yourself (not to mention that this is against site rule #3).

Now, having this in mind, check the following strategies to get jobs in the site (i.e. winning strategies):

1. A good profile, as your profile serves as your business card and directory listing, and it is the first impression of you that colleagues and potential clients will have when they find you at ProZ.com and when running web searches.

2. Membership, as members are ranked ahead of non-members in the directory of freelancers and interpreters, http://www.proz.com/translator-directory/ , and are then more visible in searches. Visit this page to check your current directory ranking.

3. KudoZ PRO points in your language pairs and fields of expertise, as this is how directory search results are ranked among the first group (members) and the second group (non-members). A few minutes of effort, a few times a month, may be all that is needed to boost your position in the freelancer directory.

4. Specialization. Let potential clients know what your fields of expertise are by listing fields in your profile in order --your specialty fields must be ordered accordingly, earning KudoZ points in those fields and in your top language pair, providing details in your "About me", etc. More tips on how to show your specialization are available here.

5. PRO status, as becoming a certified PRO will allow you to network and collaborate in an environment consisting entirely of screened professionals, including companies seeking the services of certified PROs only. (it is extremely important though that all previous strategies are put into use, and that all required information is gathered, before applying for inclusion into the Certified PRO Network).

As explained above, membership will give you visibility. But you have to make sure that, once you are visible to potential clients, you attract their attention and keep them interested by showing them a great profile and what you have to offer.

If you are willing to give these strategies a try --some of them you have already implemented, please let me know and I will be glad to assist you personally.

Also, perhaps you would like to sign up for the free webinar on "Meeting clients at ProZ.com" I will be offering this next Friday at 16:00 GMT:

http://www.proz.com/translator-training/course/4144-meeting-clients-at-proz-com

For more information on ProZ.com winning strategies, please visit http://wiki.proz.com/wiki/index.php/ProZ.com_winning_strategies

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,

Lucía
Collapse

Sarah Wachilonga
Sarah Wachilonga  Identity Verified
Kenya
Local time: 18:47
English to Swahili
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Dec 1, 2010

Hi Lucia,
Thank you for the step by step guide on how to improve my visibility to potential customers and how to improve on my profile. I would like to admit that am unable to have a complete profile, my encouraged profile completeness is at 80% and I would really like to improve on it, your assistance will be highly appreciated. I would also like to attend the free webinar on "Meeting the clients on proz.com", however, I will not be available on 10/12/2010 and therefore request to know
... See more
Hi Lucia,
Thank you for the step by step guide on how to improve my visibility to potential customers and how to improve on my profile. I would like to admit that am unable to have a complete profile, my encouraged profile completeness is at 80% and I would really like to improve on it, your assistance will be highly appreciated. I would also like to attend the free webinar on "Meeting the clients on proz.com", however, I will not be available on 10/12/2010 and therefore request to know if you will be able to schedule another training.
Thank you,

Regards,

Sarah
Collapse

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
Site guidance request generated Dec 1, 2010

I have generated a site guidance request for you, Sarah. You should have received an e-mail message with the link to this request. Or else, you can find it here.

I will be replying to this site guidance request in short so that we start working together on your profile and on the rest of winning strategies.

I will also let you know of other scheduled webinars as they are announced.

... See more
I have generated a site guidance request for you, Sarah. You should have received an e-mail message with the link to this request. Or else, you can find it here.

I will be replying to this site guidance request in short so that we start working together on your profile and on the rest of winning strategies.

I will also let you know of other scheduled webinars as they are announced.

See you at your site guidance request then!

Lucía
Collapse

Miguel Carmona
Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:47
English to Spanish
Is free enterprise against the rules? Dec 1, 2010

Lucia Leszinsky wrote:

... the main channel to get jobs at ProZ.com are direct searches outsourcers conduct in the directory, and not contacting potential clients yourself (... this is against site rule #3).

Lucía

Lucía,

So, according to you, contacting potential clients yourself as a freelancer is against one of ProZ's rules?

I did not know ProZ was so much against free enterprise and competing in the market place. Does ProZ set the rules as to how the economy factors should interplay?

Long before the existence of ProZ, freelancers have been freely offering their services to whoever they want, they will continue doing so long after ProZ disappears from the planet.

To be frank, I am not even interested in learning what ProZ's position is in this regard, since whether or not a freelance translator contacts potential clients is nobody's business but the freelancer's.

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
At ProZ.com, unauthorized solicitation is not allowed Dec 1, 2010

Dear Miguel,

I am afraid I may not have expressed myself correctly in my previous reply. What I meant was that, at ProZ.com, unauthorized solicitation, sent via the forums, profile messages or elsewhere, is not allowed as for site rule 3, http://www.proz.com/siterules/general/3#3

Hope this clarifies and sorry for the misunderstanding.

Kind regards,... See more
Dear Miguel,

I am afraid I may not have expressed myself correctly in my previous reply. What I meant was that, at ProZ.com, unauthorized solicitation, sent via the forums, profile messages or elsewhere, is not allowed as for site rule 3, http://www.proz.com/siterules/general/3#3

Hope this clarifies and sorry for the misunderstanding.

Kind regards,

Lucia
Collapse

Jorge Payan

Priya Ponmalai
Priya Ponmalai  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 21:17
English to Tamil
+ ...
How to get jobs notifications to my mail id Jan 15, 2014

Dear Lucia,

I would like to have all the jobs posted in Proz, but only with my language pair or my specialization fields. Could you please let me know if there is any option available in Proz & how should I activate it.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Priya

Alejandro Cavalitto
Alejandro Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 12:47
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Notifications for job postings Jan 15, 2014

Dear Priya,

Yes, you can receive notifications for new job postings in your specialization and language pairs. You can activate them from http://www.proz.com/dashboard/jobs

You can find more information about job posting notifica
... See more
Dear Priya,

Yes, you can receive notifications for new job postings in your specialization and language pairs. You can activate them from http://www.proz.com/dashboard/jobs

You can find more information about job posting notifications in the FAQs: http://www.proz.com/faq/jobs.html#job_notifications

Please let me know if you have any question.

Best regards,

Alejandro
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to get jobs at ProZ.com

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »