Only members can post in this forum

What is the difference between ProZ.com full professional membership and jobs partial membership?
Thread poster: Trns
Trns
Trns
United States
Local time: 13:38
English to Arabic
+ ...
Aug 24, 2010

Hello,

What's the difference between a year membership at $129, and a jobs partial membership at $70?
I compared the lists of their benefits, but I couldn't figure it out.

Thanks.

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
Jobs partial membership offers full member-only benefits related to job areas Aug 24, 2010

Hello 3arabi Translation,

The difference between full professional membership and jobs partial membership is that jobs partial membership is for users who are only interested in accessing the full member-only functions of job-related areas of the site. Full member-only benefits related to job areas include, among others:

• Full access to the Blue Board record of outsourcers
  • Top-tier placement in directory searches
  • Unlimited quoting on member... See more
Hello 3arabi Translation,

The difference between full professional membership and jobs partial membership is that jobs partial membership is for users who are only interested in accessing the full member-only functions of job-related areas of the site. Full member-only benefits related to job areas include, among others:

• Full access to the Blue Board record of outsourcers
  • Top-tier placement in directory searches
  • Unlimited quoting on member-only jobs
  • Top placement of job quotes
  • Full access to ProZ.com invoicing system
  • Ability to track profile visits
  • View average rate data from other colleagues
  • Front-page exposure

Note that full professional membership includes not only these benefits but also community-related benefits such as broader limit on KudoZ questions per day and per week, instant forum posting (no vetting), full access to past polls and articles knowledgebase and the right to suggest and host powwows, among others. And, while full professional membership can be purchased for 6 months or 1, 3, 5 or 10 years, jobs partial membership can only be purchased yearly.

A complete list of the benefits of full professional membership is available here.

Hope this explains.

Kind regards,

Lucia
Collapse

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:38
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Hello, 3arabi Translation! Aug 24, 2010

3arabi Translation wrote:

Hello,

What's the difference between a year membership at $129, and a jobs partial membership at $70?

Thanks.

Use ProZ.com as a portal rather than an employment office / job board. The good jobs are never advertised, because the really good outsourcers will start a targeted search and will contact you automatically, provided that you are building up a good profile and ranking. That's what ProZ.com is for.

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 00:38
English to Thai
+ ...
I support this idea Aug 24, 2010

Nicole Schnell wrote:

3arabi Translation wrote:

Use ProZ.com as a portal rather than an employment office / job board. The good jobs are never advertised, because the really good outsourcers will start a targeted search and will contact you automatically, provided that you are building up a good profile and ranking. That's what ProZ.com is for.

I support this idea. Proz.com is not for search of good jobs. It is a community to share professional information in general: job, glossary, CAT tools, group buy, profile, blue board etc. It is neither public nor private but contributed by all users and members. Most of my jobs came from old clients whom I met at Proz.com or its referral.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:38
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Well, there is more. Aug 24, 2010

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.) wrote:

I support this idea. Proz.com is not for search of good jobs. It is a community to share professional information in general: job, glossary, CAT tools, group buy, profile, blue board etc. It is neither public nor private but contributed by all users and members. Most of my jobs came from old clients whom I met at Proz.com or its referral.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Probably 99% of all clients (I am talking about real and long-term clients, not customers with one-off jobs in which we are not interested at all) found us on ProZ.com, be it via referral through colleagues who know us from the KudoZ forum or because they found our profile page via targeted search. We don't even have a website, the profile page does it all.

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
That's right, Nicole and Soonthon Aug 24, 2010

The main channel to get jobs in ProZ.com are direct searches in the directories and profile visits from other site areas such as KudoZ and the forums. Hence, the best strategies to get jobs in the site include:

1. A good profile. Profiles are service providers' public faces at ProZ.com. They serve as business cards and directory listings, and they are the first impression that colleagues and potential clients will have of service providers.

2. Membershi
... See more
The main channel to get jobs in ProZ.com are direct searches in the directories and profile visits from other site areas such as KudoZ and the forums. Hence, the best strategies to get jobs in the site include:

1. A good profile. Profiles are service providers' public faces at ProZ.com. They serve as business cards and directory listings, and they are the first impression that colleagues and potential clients will have of service providers.

2. Membership, as members are ranked ahead of non-members and have more exposure.

3. KudoZ PRO points in top language pairs and fields of expertise, as this is how search results are ranked in the directory among the first group (members) and the second group (non-members).

4. Specialization. Having a main language pair and a main field of expertise on top, getting KudoZ in this combination and showing specialization in each profile area.

5. PRO status. Participating in the ProZ.com Certified PRO Network provides a powerful means for top professionals to distinguish themselves as such, through not only demonstration of their unique capabilities (in keeping with published industry standards), but also through peer/client/supplier review, http://www.proz.com/pro-tag/info/about/

If you want, 3arabi Translation (and anyone else interested), I can help you out with giving these strategies a try, starting with your profile. Just contact me via my profile page (using the small envelope at the top of my profile) and we'll get started.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Lucia
Collapse

David Horn
David Horn
Local time: 19:38
English to German
+ ...
advisable for beginners? Aug 31, 2010

I'm a translator with little work experience so far. I do have a strong technical background (BSc.) and am pursuing a degree in translation.

Unfortunately, the membership fee is a considerable investment for me, and I'm currently pondering whether to pay or not (and which type of membership to purchase). As a non-paying member it's not really possible to gauge the effectiveness of this platform - especially as I assume that client reviews (which I currently do not have and cannot p
... See more
I'm a translator with little work experience so far. I do have a strong technical background (BSc.) and am pursuing a degree in translation.

Unfortunately, the membership fee is a considerable investment for me, and I'm currently pondering whether to pay or not (and which type of membership to purchase). As a non-paying member it's not really possible to gauge the effectiveness of this platform - especially as I assume that client reviews (which I currently do not have and cannot procure without paying) are key.

Of course, as in any e-commerce site, there are a lot of statements on the incredible usefulness of the site - as a former marketing man I'm a bit skeptical of those. I'd appreciate a sincere answer to my question.

thank you,
best regards,
Dave
Collapse

Lorraine Bathurst
Lorraine Bathurst
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:38
Spanish to English
+ ...
Try it for a year Aug 31, 2010

Of course, as in any e-commerce site, there are a lot of statements on the incredible usefulness of the site - as a former marketing man I'm a bit skeptical of those. I'd appreciate a sincere answer to my question.

Hi Dave

There are others sites similar to Proz.com and it is difficult to know whether it is worth the investment.
I was a non-paying member for a year or two before I joined as I was learning the ropes. I though I would try if for one year - but it
... See more

Hi Dave

There are others sites similar to Proz.com and it is difficult to know whether it is worth the investment.
I was a non-paying member for a year or two before I joined as I was learning the ropes. I though I would try if for one year - but it more than paid for itself within the first month.

I find that I usually end up translating for the same people - but I found some of those people here.
Can you translate comfortably in your chosen field and languages? If a paying client asked you to translate something would they come back to you again?
If so then do it.
If you are not so comfortable with it and are worried that you may potentially burn a bridge - then get some more experience first.
HTH

[Edited at 2010-08-31 18:34 GMT]
Collapse

Arianne Farah
Arianne Farah  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 13:38
Member (2008)
English to French
Jobs only Sep 1, 2010

I have a jobs only membership that I have found worth its weight in gold simply for having total access to the BlueBoard.

As to the original question, I think the major difference is that you can post many questions in Kudoz with the complete membership and since that it not something I need (I either do my own research or I contact the client to clarify), I cannot say that I have ever encountered a "members only" situation with my partial membership.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is the difference between ProZ.com full professional membership and jobs partial membership?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »