my domain used for spamming!! please help!
Thread poster: Graciela Carlyle
Graciela Carlyle
Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:23
English to Spanish
+ ...
May 17, 2006

Don't know if this is the right place to post, but feel free to move to the appropriate section.

This morning I've been receiving spam emails (the kind I generally bounce and report for spamming) from someone that is using my own domain (faking headers I guess), and I'm worried that it will get included in spam databases.

I kept one of the emails but couldn't track the IP.

For now I disabled in cpanel the catch all email forwarding. But that is not the solu
... See more
Don't know if this is the right place to post, but feel free to move to the appropriate section.

This morning I've been receiving spam emails (the kind I generally bounce and report for spamming) from someone that is using my own domain (faking headers I guess), and I'm worried that it will get included in spam databases.

I kept one of the emails but couldn't track the IP.

For now I disabled in cpanel the catch all email forwarding. But that is not the solution I think because people will still recieve them and probably report them.

Is there anything that can be done about it?
Thanks!!
Grace.
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 11:23
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
check this thread... May 17, 2006

http://www.proz.com/topic/46919

I guess it does not apply, but, hey, worth a try...

Graciela Carlyle
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Vito May 17, 2006

this is exactly what's happening: http://ehostpros.net/showthread.php?s=5ecc55a0d238d7210b34c9ce1159b067&threadid=1386&goto=nextnewest

And the problem is not the "sdgkjfhsdg" characters before @mydomain. That would be solved with the catch-all, but that's not the real issue, the main point here is that they are using @mydom
... See more
this is exactly what's happening: http://ehostpros.net/showthread.php?s=5ecc55a0d238d7210b34c9ce1159b067&threadid=1386&goto=nextnewest

And the problem is not the "sdgkjfhsdg" characters before @mydomain. That would be solved with the catch-all, but that's not the real issue, the main point here is that they are using @mydomain, which is what ultimately gets entered into the spam databases for anti-spam programs to block.
Collapse

justin C
justin C
United States
Local time: 05:23
English
SPAM sites usually block servers by IP address, not by domain name May 18, 2006

Hi Graciela!

Spammers often use randomly generated domain names to send their SPAM. But the good news is that your domain name is not blocked by 99% of anti-spam sites. The IP address (the physical address) of the server sending the mail is what ends up getting blocked. Since the e-mails are not actually being sent from ProZ hosting servers, your e-mails will not be blocked.

Hope this answers your question.

Best Regards,
Justin

Graciela Carlyle
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
that's a relief :) May 18, 2006

I tried to trace the IP but it always said that the IP couldn't be traced (probably spoofed too), oh well!

Anyway, thanks Justin for the techie input!!

Grace

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

my domain used for spamming!! please help!

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »