Thread poster: Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:12
Italian to English
+ ...
Mar 22, 2006

I signed up for hosting on Sunday and have tried to publish a web site to my hosting address http://italian-english-translation.my.proz.com/

I'm publishing using MS FrontPage and I have already downloaded and installed the relevant extensions, and tried publishing several times. FrontPage logs on to the hosted site and publishes without any problems but no site seems to be pub
... See more
I signed up for hosting on Sunday and have tried to publish a web site to my hosting address http://italian-english-translation.my.proz.com/

I'm publishing using MS FrontPage and I have already downloaded and installed the relevant extensions, and tried publishing several times. FrontPage logs on to the hosted site and publishes without any problems but no site seems to be published.

All I'm seeing is the "Page not created yet" default page. Is this because the hosting hasn't been fully activated yet?

I can send and receive e-mail through the address and have access to the control panel so maybe the hosting is active.

I submitted a support ticket on this Tuesday morning and haven’t heard back yet.
http://www.proz.com/ticket/24881?pwd=5c2323c7cf
Anyone got any idea what the problem might be? If it’s something I’m doing wrong, maybe someone could point me in the right direction.
Thanks.
Jo

[Edited at 2006-03-22 13:10]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2006-03-23 11:21]
Collapse

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Have you downloaded the Hosting FAQ and Getting Started Guide? Mar 22, 2006

Hi Jo,

It's very complicated to fix up initially. I could not make my site work at first, either.

While you are waiting for a reply to your support ticket, if you download the Hosting FAQ, Getting Started Guide, HowTo, and anything else that is there to download, you should begin to get an idea what has to be done, and therefore what further questions to ask the support staff once they take up your case.

Astrid

Jo Macdonald
Spain
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Astrid Mar 22, 2006

Yep, I’ve been through the Getting started guide and other documentation. It says the hosting can take up to 36 hours; maybe it’s just taking a little longer than usual. I do have a bit of experience in web publishing so I think I’m probably pushing all the right buttons. I’ve done sites, forums and blogs before and after publishing it’s published, that’s it. I think I read a post of Jack’s where he ran into the same sort of problem here and it was publishing to the wrong directory... See more
Yep, I’ve been through the Getting started guide and other documentation. It says the hosting can take up to 36 hours; maybe it’s just taking a little longer than usual. I do have a bit of experience in web publishing so I think I’m probably pushing all the right buttons. I’ve done sites, forums and blogs before and after publishing it’s published, that’s it. I think I read a post of Jack’s where he ran into the same sort of problem here and it was publishing to the wrong directory or something like that.Collapse

Jo Macdonald
Spain
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sorted Mar 22, 2006

I checked out all the files uploaded using the CP file manager. There were 2 copies of the index file, index.html and index.htm so probably causing issues. I deleted both and uploaded the file again and the site seems to be working now. Layout needs some tweaking.

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Pleased to hear you got the problem fixed Mar 22, 2006

Hi Jo,

Pleased to hear you seem to have got the problem fixed.

Good luck with your site!

Astrid

Jo Macdonald
Spain
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Astrid Mar 22, 2006

Thanks. I think the hosting package for platinum members is great. Basically ProZ platinum membership and web site hosting costs the same as a basic hosting package on another server and here you get the added bonus of kudos, community, info, etc.
Well worth it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help with publishing a web site needed

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »