need help getting the customized error pages (404, etc.) to work?
Thread poster: Kevin Pfeiffer (X)
Kevin Pfeiffer (X)
Kevin Pfeiffer (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:43
German to English
+ ...
Feb 13, 2006

I modified a couple custom error pages using the lovely control panel, but the result (for a 404 response) is this:
---------------
The requested URL /~pfeiffer/xxx was not found on this server.
Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
---------------

Any ideas why my error message is, itself, generating a page-not-found error? I tried saving the 404 page both as "404.shtml" and "404.html"
... See more
I modified a couple custom error pages using the lovely control panel, but the result (for a 404 response) is this:
---------------
The requested URL /~pfeiffer/xxx was not found on this server.
Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
---------------

Any ideas why my error message is, itself, generating a page-not-found error? I tried saving the 404 page both as "404.shtml" and "404.html" and using only the links provided in the CP as well as my own html. Always the same result.

TIA,

Kevin
Collapse

justin C
justin C
United States
Local time: 03:43
English
To use a 404 page you must add a line for it in the .htaccess file of your root web directory Feb 15, 2006

Hi Kevin, good question!

For all other members that may be wondering about this, if you configure your 404 or other custom messages through CPanel, you must add the following line to your .htaccess file in your www dir.

ErrorDocument 404 http://yoursite.com/404.shtml

This will tell your web site to use the 404 page you created when a page is not found.

Hop
... See more
Hi Kevin, good question!

For all other members that may be wondering about this, if you configure your 404 or other custom messages through CPanel, you must add the following line to your .htaccess file in your www dir.

ErrorDocument 404 http://yoursite.com/404.shtml

This will tell your web site to use the 404 page you created when a page is not found.

Hope this helps!

Best,
Justin
Collapse

Kevin Pfeiffer (X)
Kevin Pfeiffer (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:43
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Alles klar! Feb 15, 2006

justin wrote:
Hi Kevin, good question!
Justin

If I had reached up and pulled down my Apache guide I could have figured this out myself, but the cPanel set-up is so slick that I assumed it must be a "bigger problem".

I'm _very_ impressed and pleased by the whole hosting package -- much better than what I previously had (for which I was paying the price of a ProZ.com platinum membership).

-Kevin

justin C
justin C
United States
Local time: 03:43
English
Glad to hear it, Kevin Feb 15, 2006

Thanks for supporting the site.. and enjoy!

Best,
Justin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

need help getting the customized error pages (404, etc.) to work?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »